Made For Each Other

Riga, Latvia
I began writing about Old Hollywood tearjerkers and so I’m continuing to mention the movies which I have particularly enjoyed. You know it’s interesting there are movies which we watch and once is enough and then ones which we watch over and over again. “Made For Each Other” came out in 1939 by Selznick Studios and is considered part of the Turner Classic Movies. It starred two popular stars of that time Jimmy Stewart and Carole Lombard. It is a great movie but you do need a box of Kleenex beside you. The story is about a young attorney named John portrayed by Stewart and his new wife Jane played by Lombard. As with any young couple usually their first steps in a life together can be difficult. It happens that John got married because he fell head over heels in love and everything came together very quickly. So we get a bit of comic relief and perhaps some wish for nail biting when we see John bring Jane to introduce to mama. Mrs. Harriet Mason was played by Lucile Watson. Well you can imagine mama meeting Jane, finding out her son married her after knowing her for one day and then they come to ask for her blessing. Mama was not pleased at all. The couple moves into a small apartment and eventually mama moves in with them. You didn’t think this was going to be easy, did you? Anyway along comes baby. A bouncing baby boy they cannot really afford and no place for baby anyway. It could have all been different if John had decided to marry Eunice the daughter of his boss Judge Doolittle played by Charles Coburn. Since he didn’t he also lost the partnership he really wanted. Anyway life goes on and it isn’t easy. We get treated to scenes like John wanting to ask for more money but getting informed there will be cut backs. Afterwards he gets drunk and comes home only to crash into the baby’s crib and waking up his son. Of course what would a tearjerker be if we weren’t treated to some kind of tragedy. Along comes New Year’s Eve and the young couple fight while mama nurses a bad cold. John leaves the apartment in anger and Jane runs after him. When midnight arrives she calls home to find out if the baby is alright and finds out that he isn’t I leave you at this point not to spoil the ending. I can only say that we spend quite a bit of time in tears until finally the ending is a happy one.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am sure it is a great one with that cast, but I don't want to get all teary eyed, so will pass.
I have seen this one. This is how to make a romantic tearjerker.
Sounds like a great film Sandra. Yes life was not easy for them.
@antonbunot (9513)
• Calgary, Alberta
There is one movie that I really love - - it is titled Hand In Hand
• Riga, Latvia
@antonbunot Never heard of the movie but I'll check it out.
I'd probably enjoy this as I love James Stewart. He has such a distinctive voice too.
• Riga, Latvia
@JudyEv I really like him in the Hitchcock movie Rear Window.