In Remembrance of Grandma

Daytona Beach, Florida
It was 1964 the night from March 16 to 17th. Everyone was fast asleep. I was seven years old and slept through it all. My mom was awoken by a loud noise in the early morning hours. She woke my dad and they went to look in grandma’s room. My mom’s mom had been getting out of bed and simply collapsed. She died instantly. They put her into bed and made the arrangements for the morning. I woke up on St. Patrick’s Day as usual to put on something green and head off to school. I knew there would be a party going on. First of all I wanted to say good-morning to my grandma but my mom said she was tired and sleeping in. It seemed odd to me but off I went. When I returned from school my former baby sitter was there. It was great seeing the lady but I wondered about my grandma. This is where things start to get unusual for my family. Every member has had a sixth sense and we have always been very sensitive to the world beyond. I know I was only seven but right away I just knew something had happened to my grandma. My parents had chosen to tell me themselves but when I came home from school and saw my old nanny from my baby days my thoughts were completely confirmed. When they came home to tell me I wasn’t surprised at all and took it surprisingly well for a little girl who loved her grandma. So today I remember how it was all those years ago and say, “I love you grandma, in heaven above”. Life however moves on and today I do remember my grandma and light a candle for her. My hubby and I don’t do any major celebrating for St. Paddy’s but our adopted cat Sid has made it a day of celebration. Being afraid of becoming a part of our family when we brought him home in March of 2009 he hid in our basement for a week. So when he decided it was alright to accept us as mama and papa it was right on March 17. Right away I decided to make this day Sid’s birthday and so on March 17 Sid will be 11 years old. Picture of my grandma and me
Nice picture of you and, your Grandma and, I'm sorry for your loss.
This sixth sense seems to run in families doesn't it? I'm sure Sid will be pleased to celebrate another birthday with his adoring family.
@JudyEv Sid was outside in the garden running around like a little furry boy in the sun today. Who'd think he just turned 11.
@RasmaSandra Our little cat got to 16 and was well pretty much until the end.
@JudyEv good to hear that because Sid is now only 11. So I sure hope he has many more years with us.
One thing I am glad she passed at home. I am so sorry that you lost your Grandma Sandra. She looks a lovely lady. I am sure she is with you still. Good you made Sids bday the same.
@TiarasOceanView I sure miss her and I know all these years she is one of my guardian angels. Sid enjoyed his B-day.
@LeaPea2417 (20471)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Grand Mothers are special, may their memories (and my Grand Mothers) memory last forever.
@AnneEJ (5013)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
It must have been hard to lose your Grandma at so young an age, but I am glad you have good memories of her
@AnneEJ yes, however it was toughest on my mom and she sure missed her. This was in 1964 and then in 1967 we lost my dad so growing up things were pretty tough.
@WriterAI (5201)
• Bulgaria
So sorry! But that is life.