Do You Live in the Northeastern United States?

Do You Live in the Northeastern United States? Most Americans are aware that Native American tribes lived in the Northeastern part of what would later become the United States, hundreds, in fact, probably thousands of years before the white settlers showed up. But, I want to review what we call “modern” America. The Northeast was where the modern history of the United States began when European and other immigrants came to this new land. It has been long thought that the Vikings probably were the first to come, around 1000 A.D., but no settlers followed. Even Christopher Columbus, who “sailed the ocean blue in 1492” never set foot on North American soil. He ended up in the Caribbean Islands. Why he is honored as the discoverer of America is beyond my comprehension. Then, the Dutch came and colonized New Amsterdam (New York) in the 1600s. But, it was the Pilgrim Fathers who started the wave of English immigration TO THIS AREA, that would determine its future character. They landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1620. The Northeast was also where America’s independence from British rule began, when in 1773, in Boston, Massachusetts, angry citizens dumped boxes of tea in the harbor to protest British taxation. This became known as the Boston Tea Party. Also, in 1775, in Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts, the first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired. And on July 4th, 1776, most history books claim that, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the Declaration of Independence was signed, as the Liberty Bell rang. So, this area, the Northeast, played a vital role in shaping the history of the United States of America. Do you live in the Northeast, otherwise known as the New England States, of the U.S.?
A nice history lesson. I know very little about most of this although of course I've heard of the Boston tea-party.
I think it's nice to know a short history of the area. I'm glad you read it and enjoyed it. Most people have heard of the Boston Tea Party, like you. What would you say if you had to give a short history of Australia?
@IreneVincent I would find that difficult. Generalisations I find difficult because I always want to qualify what I say with more detail. It would be a good exercise for me so perhaps I'll try it. :)
@JudyEv No, it wouldn't be easy to do. But, some countries would be even harder, I think. When did the VERY first Caucasian people come to Australia? Weren't they prisoners? What year was that?
@UncleJoe (10598)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Please forgive me for disagreeing. Alice, but those 1620 pilgrims were not the first to settle in the "New World". On April 26, 1607 the Jamestown settlers first landed at Cape Henry, Virginia. That was 13 years before Plymouth Rock.
I know that the Jamestown settlement was first. I DO live in Virginia. LOL But, what I said was "that it was the Pilgrim Fathers who started the wave of English immigration to THIS AREA that would determine ITS future character," meaning the northeastern area. I could have worded it better, I guess. I did go back an edit it a bit. But, thanks for noticing.