Both sides now (back and forth?)

a figurine of walt Disney characters from our cabinet
@ridingbet (59376)
I was ‘exploring’ the site for new discussions and I read the title of one, and I thought of a common mistake my students commit when they bring a sheet of document to be photocopied. Even when I tell my learners to copy both sides of the 2 documents (“notes on documentation, obsolete terms when writing nurses’ notes”, etc) in their logbooks, they would always ask me, “Ma’am, back and forth?” to which I respond, “It is back and front, dear student”. Notice how others request the person who photocopies a document and observe how they respond: Is it correct, or they say, “photocopy back and forth”? Just my “weird” way of saying “happy afternoon, everyone”!
@Lucky15 (33699)
backand forth...maybe they are going somewhere
@AkoPinay (10099)
I say "round trip" instead of back and forth
@ridingbet (59376)
yes, round trip is better than back and forth. hahaha!
@Lucky15 (33699)
@ridingbet if i were the one who heard that, i will really say that... where are you going?
I do not think that back and forth is correct, you are right, it's back and front.
@ridingbet (59376)
yes, even the pupils should know which one is right and not. thanks for coming, my friend, how are you?
@ridingbet I feel better today, I have no more pain. How are you? Do you feel better?
@ridingbet (59376)
@LadyDuck i feel well now, thank God. I had my check-up this afternoon, and I just arrived home.
@Freelanzer (9499)
Maybe they are referring to the many times they have to go back and forth to make the back and front photocopies
@ridingbet (59376)
Hahah!Indeed, that could mean so too. going back and forth to have the copies xeroxed front and back. How are you?
@mammots (3271)
If it were me they were asking "back and forth maam" i would probably be the one to have the documents photocopied. I usually have my documents photocopied in National Bookstore or in NS Ocana but i have never been asked this ...hmmm ... super funny question. The operator of the copier would usually ask " you want both sides copied maam?" or " back to back copies maam?"
@ridingbet (59376)
that is better too. or both sides is also good, than back and forth. so we won't be asked if it is really a 'round trip' thingy or not.
@mammots (3271)
@ridingbet If it were me in your shoes ...i would find it very hard to control my laughter when a student or students would ask " back and forth maam"
@ridingbet (59376)
@mammots true, and one of my level 2 students that I handled last March 1st told me if she should write her case study in her logbook 'back and forth pages', and I nearly burst into laughter but instead, I told her, "YES, Ms. Agu, back and forth".
I don't know were that came from but I always request that in our language since were in the country. not even sure where the word forth come from. Happy afternoon.
@ridingbet (59376)
back and front or front and back is the correct term, hijo, but it is always mistakenly said back and forth, even professionals say that.
@ridingbet where the heck forth came from
@ridingbet (59376)
@Letranknight2015 maybe from the dance instructor who says, "dance back and forth with your partner". wahahaha!
@Morleyhunt (20747)
I would ask for, both sides...or front and back. To me back and forth refers to where I might be going.
@ridingbet (59376)
that is true. it is for directions.
@ida123 (6237)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Both sides or back to back is the correct term, I don't know where the young ones get that word, back and forth...
@ridingbet (59376)
well, it is always a slip of the tongue as they say, and even those who do the photocopying, my friend, they say, "ma'am, back and forth?"
@AkoPinay (10099)
My mistake is I say "back to back". Happy Afternoon to you too!
@ridingbet (59376)
that, i think, is also grammatically correct, my friend. happy afternoon as well. but as if i play mahjong if I say back to back!
@cacay1 (33203)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Hehehe happy evening too, back and forth my dear.The students this time cannot focus more, busy on selfie, netbook, etc.
@ridingbet (59376)
vice versa too, my friend. Hahaha! using all what is posted here now, but of course this is just for fun and amusement. I think the students are now shying away from selfie, netbooks and phones because it is their finals week and they should strive hard so they evade removal from the class.
@cacay1 (33203)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@ridingbet Our final exam is next week after next week hehe.
@gudheart (12741)
@cacay1 good luck with them :D
That was a funny way of saying back to back or back and front .
@ridingbet (59376)
good morning, my lady. yes, indeed, a funny way, but not only students say that, also some professionals.
@ridingbet I guess , that's same with saying kodak , colgate and the like .
@ridingbet (59376)
@SIMPLYD true. " do you have a colgate which is close-up?"
@Ruby3881 (1997)
It's more common here to ask for "double-sided" printing or copying. But yes, "back and front" is an indication of LOCATION. By contrast, "back and forth" is used when indicating the DIRECTION of movement.
@ridingbet (59376)
right, but our youth here always gets the error of saying 'back and forth' instead of 'back and front', and this is also agreed upon by the person who prints the document.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
@ridingbet Is this an error in their native language, or in an acquired language? If it's an error in a non-native language, it's probably due to confusion over idioms. If it's in the mother tongue, unfortunately what you're seeing is probably a shift in the language. I am sometimes irked by incorrect usage that has "snuck" into the English lexicon. It seems that both youth and adults just get lax about errors, and then lexicographers record words like "Irregardless" in the dictionary. Much to my chagrin....
@brokenbee (8028)
I think we say "back to back" when we have it photocopied. But our teachers laughed at us when we said we will have it "Xerox-ed".
@ridingbet (59376)
I think xerox is now obsolete; photocopy is I think the preferred term now, am i right, hija?
@brokenbee (8028)
@ridingbet Xerox is the brand Ate. Hihihi Photocopy is the correct term. =) Well, it is also acceptable, just like Kodak or Colgate hahaha
@JESSY3236 (7295)
I would say both sides or front and back. Back and forth sounds like British English to me.
@ridingbet (59376)
so, is that how the British say when they want both sides of the document copied or xeroxed? back and forth? Thank you!
@JESSY3236 (7295)
@ridingbet Maybe. I not sure. But it sound like it.
@mom210 (6771)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I agree with ya, neevr heard the other before
@ridingbet (59376)
that is so common here in my country
Well, good afternoon to you too!
@ridingbet (59376)
thanks for visiting, my friend. I hope you are fine and well wherever you are
I think the students didn't study English that well. At least, your students could learn from you.
@ridingbet (59376)
yes, this issue is also not mainly about my students, but a common notion if a document is for photocopying. try observing in a photocopying store if somebody wants his document xeroxed both sides; the most is telling the photocopier to xerox back and forth... then you will remember me, my friend. hahaha!
Happy afternoon to you to.
@ridingbet (59376)
good morning, how are you?
@MGjhaud (20672)
haha students sometimes.. "maam one forth maam?" good afternoon to you too.
@ridingbet (59376)
I recall our History teacher, senior high, Ms. MB (+), after we pray "all for Thee" and after we greet her good morning, she usually said to us, get 1/4 sheet of paper, and then we had our10-item quiz.
They should photocopy the front and then turn over so it will be photocopied right on the 2nd side or back side.