My First Corned Beef

Although I'm as old as dirt I'm making my first corned beef and cabbage. I threw all the needed ingredients into the crock pot this morning and it's been simmering all day long. No one in my family is fond of corned beef even though we are all Irish descendants. However, my son in law sticks by the traditional meal on every St. Patricks Day and was crestfallen when I told him we never eat it. However, taking his sad face into consideration I told him if he went and bought one I'd make it for him for tomorrow. That boy can move!!! He was at the store and back in a flash I made my corned beef today so that he only has to reheat it tomorrow and the cooking part is done. As for the rest of us....we'll have whatever. Are you a traditional corned beef & cabbage person for St. Paddy's Day?
I loved mine for two days this week. I was thinking to see if another store had some on sale after the holiday to make it again.
haha not as old as dirt..I am glad about it Marilyn Aw the poor lad wanted you to cook it.. I am, I like the dinner of corned beef and have Irish born mother, but this year, like many years, no special dinner here.
You're not as old as dirt silly! I've never had corned beef, but I know that I dislike the taste of cabbage. My husband dislikes both, so we'll do without that here. I hope that you enjoy yours, Happy St Patricks Day m'Lassie!
LOL I can't believe my daughter married someone who enjoys this!!! BUT I love my son in law so I'm making it for him. We'll probably have spaghetti and meatballs
@Marilynda1225 You should try to make some cupcakes with green icing for him-he'd love it!
I love it, but I haven't had it since my Grandma used to make it, going to try to make one soon though.
It was easy enough just hope it tastes good
@Mike197602 (13899)
Corned beef and cabbage is an Irish American dish, it isn't eaten in Ireland. The traditional Irish dish is bacon and cabbage.
I love bacon so hold the corned beef (& cabbage)
LOL - well then I guess that I am Irish American and just plain Irish in general, because we have both corned beef and cabbage and bacon and cabbage, although not for the same meal.
@Mike197602 (13899)
@purplealabaster I've been looking things up and there are loads of things Irish americans do that irish people don't do. They're more irish american traditions than irish That being said my nieces enjoyed st patricks day as they were in the parade in their village near Cork.
Not a tradition in my family, but you sure made your son-in-law happy as can be!
My son in law is a good guy and does a lot for me so it's the least I can do for him
@KristenH (24753)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Never had it before. But it sounds good to eat.
@Marcyaz (35615)
I love corned beef and cabbage any day especially on St Paddy's day. I will have the other Corned Beef and cabbage on St Paddy's day even though I had it a week or so ago.
@Lucky15 (33718)
the corned beef that we have here are those in a can i know that it is kinda different from those that i saw on tv
We have corned beef in a can too but usually it's used for making hash
we had this last week.So you are the mysterious mimimi there.Did you see my post there.I found you
I bought the ingredients to make it 2 years ago and then my husband told me the smell of it makes him throw up. Needless to say, I didn't make it.
I love corned beef and cabbage, although I do not always have it on St. Patrick's Day. That is what we are having for supper tonight, though. We also have carrots, potatoes and sometimes parsnip and rutabaga with it as well.
@nanette64 (17858)
• Fairfield, Texas
I'll eat that any day of the week @Marilynda1225 . And I didn't get an invite? Geez...
@gudheart (12742)
I have yet to try corned beef!! I know I must be the only one not tired it LOL
I never eat corned beef on that day St. Patrick's Day, but I do eat it once in a while. I like the taste.
@CRK109 (14435)
I never made it because my husband never liked it. And now that it's just me, I'm not doing anything special. Wish I could get some, though, because I do enjoy it. I'm sure yours will be wonderful and that your son in law will love it! :)
• Eugene, Oregon
Oh no, it's tomorrow is it? I must find my Kiss Me, I'm Irish button. I never cared for the taste of corned beef at all, so have not had any in years.
In truth, they don't eat corned beef in Ireland it is purely American. Mine is in the crockpot too!!
We've never thought about traditional meals on St Pat's day but we do like corned beef.
No Irish in me - my husband doesn't want it and he is part Irish.