Lost in Bingen, Germany

Bunbury, Australia
In August 2015 we spent several days in the Koblenz area following the Rhine river both up- and downstream. We went to Bingen as Vince wanted to see the abbey of St Hildegard of Bingen. St Hildegard (1098-1179) was a Benedictine abbess, also renowned as a writer, composer, philosopher, visionary and polymath. We have heard her music performed on the radio quite often. We found a St Hildegards but it is a relatively modern order of nuns who have a very busy tourist outlet for all things St Hildegard. I wonder if the founder of the order had an inkling of how popular St Hildegard's writings would become? We got lost in Bingen and went past the same place three times before Vince's knee started to play up from changing gear so frequently. It's a long and boring story but eventually we found our way to a lovely campsite. There were some lovely sculptures in Koblenz, not least of which was the massive mounted statue of Emperor William I. Note how small the tourists look. Koblenz is situated on both banks of the Rhine where the Moselle River joins it. From our bed we looked out across the river to the statue. A little ferry took us back and forth across the river as and when needed. We were tempted to take a ride in the cable car but didn't. We had a lovely meal in town and walked the streets taking lots of photos.
I created this video with the YouTube Slideshow Creator (http://www.youtube.com/upload)
Sounds like a good time to me and, a awesome view.
Once we got ourselves 'unlost' the day improved markedly. :)
Good slide show. Wonder where this place was hiding when I had been on the banks of the river Rhine. (lol)
Bingen was on the river - I think to the north but I wasn't very orientated at the time.
@JudyEv When it comes to losing directions there is none to beat me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Looks pretty. You get more of a sense of time in places with older building and older statues.
The one of the Emperor was so huge. It always staggers me how difficult they must have been to build.
@Morleyhunt (15946)
Getting lost is part of the adventure. Too bad Vince's knee wasn't happy about the experience.
Luckily it recovered next day. It was just using the clutch so much going round and round the town, trying to get out of it. :)
I've been to these places too. I find this part of Germany to be just plain gorgeous!
It was lovely and very popular too. Two big tourist buses came into the restaurant where we had lunch just for starters and there were a lot of long tourist boats on the river.
@JudyEv I thought about retiring there, but could not stand the winters. If money was not an issue, I would live there part of the year, and here during the winter.
@ElizabethWallace We thought prices for food were cheap on the continent. England was the dearest.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
I have read a bit about St Hildegard of Bingen, but I have never been to that part of Germany. The sculptures in Koblenz sound interesting. I lived in the very north of Germany for a while, but there are many parts of Germany that I don't know very well. I would like to explore them one day.
Unfortunately we didn't get to Denmark either. There is just so much to see wherever you go. Maybe we will make it next time although I think perhaps it is unlikely.
@Porcospino (16435)
• Denmark
@JudyEv It is pity that you didn't get the chance to Denmark, but I understand what you mean. There is so much to see and do and it is hard to pick. In 2010 my husband and I travelled around in Europe for one month. We had a wonderful trip, but we didn't manage include all of the countries that we wanted to visit.
@Porcospino Some of the attractions were very interesting and we easily spent an hour or two at just one. Somedays we were doing one attraction in the morning, one in the afternoon then moving on so we weren't advancing very far in terms of miles.
Lovely photos. I loved traveling on the Rhine. There were so many beautiful things to see.
Did you go to Melk? I thought that was spectacular.
@JudyEv No, I wish we had time. Perhaps on another vacation.
@DianneN The tour boat my friends went on stopped at Melk so I thought perhaps they all did. There is so much to see I guess they need to pick and choose.
• Denmark
I was in Koblenz when I was 18 years old. Quite some time ago! Our class went on a tour along the Rhine and the Moselle and to the city of Bonn which was our capital before reunification.
It is a lovely area. We enjoyed going up and down each side of the river.
@PainsOnSlate (19034)
I love your photos, I hope to get to Europe some day....soon!
I'm sure you would enjoy it. There is just so much to see and do. I do hope you get there.
@Dragonairy1 (1486)
• Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
It sounds like an interesting diversion, and I enjoyed your video.
Glad you enjoyed the video. It's always fun choosing what photos to use.
It sounds like you had an awesome time and found what you had wanted t o see so much history here sounds fantastic to me
There is a great many things to see in that area.
we got lost in Japan and found some NEAT places and have some stories we would not have otherwise
I can imagine. It's nice to have these random experiences really.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Oh I might get lost there too as it happens not knowing the ground lolz
We had a GPS but she was being difficult too. Long story best forgotten! :)
@slund2041 (3495)
I bet you got a lot of lovely photo's. Sounds like you had a great time, in-spite of being lost.
Yes, we have way too many photos really but maybe one day we'll sort them out.
@gudheart (12804)
LOL not a bad place to get lost in as it sounds rather interesting :D
We meant to go to Koblenz but didn't really want to get lost on the way.
Unfortunately, I missed this when I was over there. I wish I'd have seen it now.
It's impossible to see everything. You have to pick and choose or get lost and have stuff 'chosen' for you. :)
@Ladypeace (2076)
I went and listened to St Hildegard von Bigen's music. Her compositions are lovely, I've added them to my playlist. It's so nice that you've visited her abbey.
I'm glad you liked her music. It was written so long ago but seems to have had a resurgence lately.
@silvermist (15814)
@JudyEv Beautiful slide show. You got lost in a nice place.
Thank you. Yes, we did see some lovely places.
@MsTickle (24976)
It all sounds delightful except for Vince's poor knee. So much for a nun's vows of poverty.
The order was founded because of St Hildegard's influence I'm sure but it's turned out a little goldmine for them.
It is fun getting lost in certain places. I used to search things when lost in certain places and found something interesting along the journey. I would love to see the scenic areas in Germany. I heard there are so many historical sites.
It is surprising the interesting things you find when you become lost that's for sure.