Cedar Trees

@Raelove (17586)
Saco, Maine
Many years ago, in the house my mother grew up in, her father had lined an attic closet with cedar wood. Not only did this protect the clothes stored there from moths, but it was also fun to step inside and breathe in that wonderful aroma. Years later, when I graduated from high school, a local furniture store gave out small cedar trinket boxes as complimentary gifts in the hopes that we shop there. I still have that box, though it hardly smells of cedar anymore. I saw a beautiful northern white cedar tree the other day when I was visiting a friend, and it made me happy to think that nature saw fit to give us evergreens to enjoy between the winter and spring seasons. Other varieties of this tree are called arbovitae and are used as ornamental trees or as windbreaks. Like pines, firs and spruces, cedar trees stay green year-round. But they are nothing like their "cousins." Instead of needles, they have long narrow yellow-green scaled leaves that are soft to the touch, and the small cones open to release their seeds rather than fall off the trees. One branch on this tree that I could reach still had its empty open cones on it, and they looked like little golden-brown stars. I love trees and often try to find something special about them that most people miss. I've driven by this tree many times before, and it was well worth finally stopping to take a closer look at it. Photo Copyright@2016 Rachel Lovejoy
@Dena91 (4648)
My mom had a cedar chest and I use to love to open it up and smell it. Have a blessed day
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I remember those well, as many people had them back then. Some girls I knew used theirs as "hope chests" toward the day they got married and left home. Have a blessed day as well.
@Dena91 (4648)
@Raelove that is what my grand mom called it, a hope chest.
I absolutely love the smell of cedar and I have never seen a cedar tree that I recall Rachel.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I would not have ever recognized them if I hadn't researched other types of evergreens awhile back. Chances are you have seen one in your travels but wasn't aware of it, like I was up till recently!
@Raelove I was thinking I probably have but didnt know it. happy st pats day to you Rachel my friend.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
@TiarasOceanView Same to you!
@silvermist (20116)
@Raelove I am not familiar with Cedars.But there are Sandalwood trees here.Sandalwood boxes,sandalwood oil etc are available.Sandalwood has a distinct and soothing aroma.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I am familiar with it, as I've seen aromatic oils of sandalwood in gift shops. It is very mello and soothing.
@silvermist (20116)
@Raelove It has many medicinal properties.Sandalwood applied on the forehead relieves headache.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
@silvermist Good to know. Thanks.
Some trees have a really lovely aroma. The sandalwood is another which has a distinctive smell. It is a parasite and is grown commercially in Australia although it takes ages before it can be harvested.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
These cedars can be invasive, too, if they're in an area where they start choking out other growth.
@Raelove I didn't know that about cedars. I thought they were just a tree - full stop.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv It depends where they are. A single tree on a lawn is fine, but in a swampy area, they sprout quickly.
• Uzbekistan
I don't think I've ever seen a cedar tree.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
This type is native to Maine (USA), and it grows wild in wet places. I love how they provide contrast before the rest of the world greens up in the spring. I found this link that shows similar trees that grow in your country.
Basket is empty    Subtotal: Your cart is empty Subtotal: £0.00 inc. VAT View basket Search Go British Grown Whips & hedging Size Height Form 1-9 10-49 50-249 250+ Qty 15L pot size15L pot size 100-150cm 3-5ft Container £51.00£61.20 £44.20£53.04 £39.10£46.
• Uzbekistan
@Raelove I know the low variety which is used for hedges. They always remind me of graveyards. But I haven't seen a tall cedar as far as I know.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
@MALUSE They are probably not that prevalent there. I know that I had to research them before I knew how to recognize one. They're not your typical evergreen...
I have no recollection on this.Cedar Chest.Hey,I did not get one my marriage.darn
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I didn't either, Fredo, so don't feel bad!
@Raelove okay,it would have been nice.My sister had one they call it a hope chest.Hope to get married
@Marcyaz (35606)
Growing up my mother had a wonderful cedar chest where she stored many items and I loved to open the top and smell that wonderful smell coming from inside it. The trees here are beginning to look green again.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
It's a smell like no other!
@Marcyaz (35606)
@Raelove You are right it is a smell like no other.
@Platespinner (17062)
I have an old cedar chest that has long since lost it's pungent aroma. The suitcase of assorted things I brought back from my parents' home is permeated with the smell of moth balls. I don't particularly like the smell, but it definite reminds me of the closets in the house of my childhood.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
Same here. I happen to like the smell of mothballs, as it's one I grew up with, too. I still use it in my closets.
That smell always makes me thinking of driving through northern Vermont on the way to Canada when we were children, very nostalgic.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
Smells have a way of doing that, don't they?
My parents had a cedar closet and I have my grandmoher's hope chest which is cedar lined. She got it in 1920 and you can still smell the cedar as clear as anything. Cedars grow wild and they always seem to grow along a fence line out here int he country.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
They're beautiful trees. I love their different foliage. A nice contrast against other type of leaves.
Evergreens have always been my favorite kind of trees. They are always there for us, year round to enjoy. We have many on our property.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I did once when I owned property. And here, they grow all around me, so that's a comfort.
Out here on the Pacific coast, we have California oaks and vast forests of pines.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
There are probably a few different types of cedars there that aren't dominant. They are quite the shy trees...
I haven't seen a cedar tree. It is nice that you had shared this photo.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
My pleasure.
The only downfall to having too many cedars on your property is the fact that they attract the mosquitos.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I didn't know that. Mosquitoes breed in wet areas, and that's where cedars grow best. So that must be the connection. I hate those critters!
I love the smell of the cedar wood, my Mom still has a cedar chest and I have cedar balls in my drawers.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I have to find some of those cedar balls. I used to see small cedar blocks in stores but haven't in awhile.
@Raelove I also bought the cedar rings for the hangers. If I remember well I bought from Amazon France, I have just checked Amazon sells cedar balls, 80 for about 6$.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck Thank you! I will check into that.
We have had a cedar tree in the yard of every house that I have lived in. When we move, that is one of the first things that I will be doing - planting a cedar tree if there is not already one on the property. I love them, and they smell wonderful. They also keep spiders away, which is a great thing in areas where they have poisonous spiders. Spiders like most other wood, but they do not like cedar for some reason.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
Something about the pungency of the wood that spiders and many other insects don't like.
@Raelove I am certainly glad that it smells good to us but not to them!
Wow, you have really upgraded your picture. It looks good. I had no idea arbor vitae were cedar family. Perhaps, if you run a little sandpaper across the wood inside your trinket box you will restore the cedar smell.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I will try that, thanks! And thanks, too, for the compliment.
@miniam (9233)
• Bern, Switzerland
Just like you, l do love trees especialy the ones which stay green all year round.Unfortunately l dont know many trees by names. Thanks for sharing
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I'm a tree lover and have written a lot about them, so I've learned about many of them over the years.
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
My property is loaded with cedar trees @Raelove and they are truly a joy during winter (even here in Texas), to see them as green as can be. My mom had a room in the attic that was also made of cedar, so I know what you mean by the smell.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
It was overpowering in my grandfather's closet, but my little chest no longer has the scent. I love the color of their leaves, as it's different from other evergreens.
@LeaPea2417 (21996)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Trees are special and I do enjoy evergreens.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
So do I.