One of Those Mornings

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Every morning I sit down with a cup of coffee. It’s how I start my day. Some days, however, don’t begin quite as smoothly as others and drinking that cup of coffee can be quite a challenge. This morning has been one of those days. My daughter didn’t have to be at work for six today, so I didn’t leap out of bed at my usual five fifteen. By the time I did drag myself out from under the covers there wasn’t much time to sit. A couple of sips of coffee and it was time to pop muffins in the oven for breakfast. When breakfast was ready my coffee was cold so I popped it into the microwave to warm it back up. By the time it had cooled enough to drink it was nearly time to start our daily school routine. So after a hasty sip I settled down to read out loud to my girls. Now, nearly three hours after I brewed that post of coffee I am still working on my first cup. Once again it has been reheated in the microwave and I am determined not to get up from my chair until it’s gone. I really need to go start a load of laundry, but I suspect that if I were to do that I would end up having to warm that same cup of coffee one more time. It isn’t unusual for my second cup of coffee to require rewarming several times, but usually I manage to drink the first one without any trouble. Do you ever have to rewarm a hot drink multiple times because of interruptions?
Yes. If I have some errands that need to be done, I usually reheated it. If summer, I will just have it as cold coffee.
Somehow it isn't quite the same cold...
@Marcyaz (36138)
@Skavkat No way could I drink my morning hot coffee as cold coffee as I dislike cold coffee.
@Marcyaz Cold coffee is okay as long as it is actually iced coffee--but only in the summer, and NOT first thing in the morning.
@gudheart (12807)
Yep I have, but never tastes as good as it does when made fresh though :(
No it doesn't!
I hope that you have finished it at last
I finished it while I was beginning my discussion. My second cup of coffee didn't get finished until nearly suppertime. .
@Marcyaz (36138)
I have in the past had a few interuptions before being able to drink my first cup of coffee. Coffee is the first thing I have in the morning to help wake me up no matter what time it is in the morning.
I've gotta have that first coffee in the morning or else I don't think I would actually wake up!
@Marcyaz (36138)
@Platespinner It is best to have it first with no interruptions.
@Marcyaz Ideally, yes, but some mornings are less than ideal
@PainsOnSlate (18660)
I guess I am lucky because i love love love cold coffee. My husband can't even watch me drinking cold coffee....I never heat it up. I drink it black so I have learned to love it cold. My mother did the same, maybe I learned from her.
On a hot day in the summer I enjoy iced coffee, but first thing in the morning I prefer it hot...and I don't care for it black. I like a dash of cream.
@Platespinner I meant to mention I love the cup too. I like mine hot to start but if it gets cold I still drink it.
@MarymargII (7933)
• Toronto, Ontario
Not unless I've somewhere to go early- but those days are fairly rare!
Early seems to be the standard for me these days.
• Toronto, Ontario
@Platespinner Then you get a good start to your day and also morning is the best time to get things done- for me anyway. :)
• Midland, Michigan
I've been drinking hot tea recently and I have to reheat it, but not because of interruptions. I'm a slow drinker and I don't like lukewarm tea or coffee for that matter. I may need to invest in one of those warming plates for a single cup one year. Can't afford that type of thing right now. Some days I can only drink a small amount before heading out the door, but I'll usually add more water and start over, sort of, when I return.
When the wood heater is lit I usually set my coffee on top of it to keep warm. Now that spring is upon us that isn't an option most mornings.
@Morleyhunt (15369)
The second time I'll just chug the cup and be done with it. Nice mug
I thought you might appreciate my mug of choice .
@UncleJoe (7744)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
What parent hasn't?
I can pretty much bet my parents never did. Coffee was consumed at "coffee time" around 10 in the morning, and as at meals one did NOT wander off and go do something else until coffee time was over and the coffee cups were empty. I got lectured more than a few times when they would visit over the years because I didn't "do things the right way" .
• Rochester, New York
I have a mug warmer that I keep on my desk. At the moment it has a dish with wax tarts in it, but when I need to warm something up I'll take that off and pop my cup on it.
This morning my coffee would probably have evaporated before i got back to it .
Heck, I just drink it cold to save time.
When I drink it cold I tend to just gulp it down...there is not much enjoyment in that. Hot coffee requires me to sit for a few minutes and frequently provides an excuse to check myLot.
I will warm my coffee up by topping it up with some hot stuff from the pot, but am not a fan of rewarming it in the microwave for reason you listed-too hot!
I am trying to cut down on my caffeine consumption, so topping that cup up wasn't really a feasible option.
Oh yes! With 4 children, 3 of them also being Home Schooled I usually reheat my coffee at least a few times. Lol.
My first cup I usually sit down and finish, but once I'm trying to keep up with school and household chores odds are I'm going to have to reheat it at least once.
I do constantly rewarm my cup of coffee as I tend to forget about drinking half of it.
That's what usually happens when I have a cup later in the day.
@pgntwo (20360)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Sounds familiar!
I'm glad it's not just me!
@Lucky15 (33763)
When it is really cold. I do ma'am ;)
@fishtiger58 (29386)
• Momence, Illinois
I rewarm almost every cup multiple times. But it's usually because I am online and forgetting it.
• Eugene, Oregon
My wife will do that and even drink it cold at times. I will warm it up once and then make fresh coffee if I still want some.
I mostly manage to get mine drunk - or I finish it cold. To me it tastes a bit funny when it's reheated so I try to avoid doing that.