Representing the Reptiles

By JJ
...because they need a spokesbear just like everyone else. So I went for a walk along the tracks today, hoping to possibly shoot a few photos of the frogs I have heard singing lately...but they weren't in the mood to have their pictures taken and hopped into the water and wouldn't surface. I did, though, manage to capture shots of a common snapping turtle and a snake (not sure of the specie, may be the deadly cotton-mouthed water-rattler) Actually, I believe it to be a specie of garter snake, but I am not positive. Maybe I'll get the frogs next time...
we saw a snake ourselves today...IN the office. not a good place for snakes.
@vandana7 (55279)
Who looked like a frog there? Your boss?
@vandana7 hmmn maybe, lol
@louievill (15549)
That's a nice shot, is the snapping turtle like getting ready to snap the snake? Or is it just a casual meeting?
It two separate pictures put together
@louievill (15549)
@JolietJake oh sorry I overlooked that one, I was so fascinated by your picture
That is a cool photo. A snake and a turtle together.
It's two photos I combined since we can't add two in a post
@JolietJake Am I dumb! Now I see the dividing line. Still cool photos.
• Marion, Kansas
Your snake looks very much like the one I saw last weekend. It was a garter snake. Yours appears to be in the water though, and I did not know that they swam.
It's pretty shallow with heavy moss, pretty sure it was huntin' frogs
Snakes....ewwww! I would have screeched and ran off! I truly do not like snakes and never have. Frogs are okay. I remember as a child we would go to the "frog pond" and check out the pollywogs and the frogs too.
I have no interest in trying to identify snakes. That requires looking at them which I never do. I just run away.
@vandana7 (55279)
What a topic to read in the morning...you had me doing DE's job, but unlike DE I could not come up with any answer even after surfing for about 10 minutes...closest was eastern ribbon snake..but the design on the back of the snake in your picture is more clear. May be you'd want to send it to some university or other place for knowing the actual name. It does not look like a garter snake to me...thank god you are taking that walk...tc
The snake has the markings of the garter snakes we have around here but it is a different color. The head looks different though more like the poisioness snakes. Its hard to tell without seeing more photos like from the side of their eyes. I like seeing animals and replies in nature. I always photograph them when I am out on walks and have my camera. Sometimes I play with them haha.
While snakes don't worry me particularly I judge them all as deadly and despatch them if they are close to the house or give them a wide berth otherwise.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I am not sure either of the snake species there JJ. I do love the ol snappers though lolz Aw the frogs were hiding..too bad the little divils It is so nice you have this stuff around there for walks and all.
You've got a lot of cool critters out your way! Surely they must realize there is a bear (and black panther) living amongst them?
@destimona (1963)
• Luxembourg, Luxembourg
You have good hobbies. I don't really like reptiles. Honestly speaking I am scared of reptiles. May be you will get frogs photoshoot next time. Best wishes.