Have You Ever Eaten Polenta?

Polenta is usually made from yellow corn meal. I prefer WHITE corn meal but have not been able to purchase the white corn meal in my area, although I continue to look for it. I have found some white corn meal, but it is a “fine” consistency and I need the coarser grain for the recipe that I learned as a child. You cook it, sort of like cream of wheat, but thicker. Once the corn meal is well-cooked and thick, I pour it into a bowl and refrigerate it until it is firm. Then, I slice it and fry the slices in butter. My mouth is watering right now for just thinking about it. I have purchased Polenta at the grocery store but it does not taste the same as the fried mush that I grew up with. I must see if I can find the coarse ground white corn meal, perhaps at a Whole Food store. It just is NOT available at a regular grocery store here and that doesn’t surprise me, because I haven’t found a single person here that I have asked, who knows what fried mush is. I grew up in a neighborhood with many Italians and Polish residents and that’s where my Mom got the recipe. Fried corn mush swimming in creamery butter was a TREAT. I am really craving it right now.
@1hopefulman (27220)
As an Italian, my mother made it often and I enjoyed it.
Ahhhh! So you are Italian. I'm sure your mother made it often then. I really like it fried in butter.
@mysdianait (64063)
Yes and often because I am in Italy and the region where I live, Piemonte, has many dishes made with it. Instead of frying it, try slicing it and grilling it. Delicious!
Slicing it and grilling it?? OK that sounds very good. I tried the polenta that I can purchase at the grocery store, but it wasn't what I was used to. I'm just trying to find the right corn meal so I can make my version of it myself. I hope I can, because now I've really worked up a craving for it again. lol
@mysdianait (64063)
@IreneVincent Maybe it would be easier to move to Italy LOL
@mysdianait I'll just keep looking for the corn meal I need. I haven't checked Amazon yet. I'd love to visit Italy though.
I had it in Florence, Italy, and it was wonderful.
Yes, I would imagine that you could get it in Florence, Italy. I love it!
• Pensacola, Florida
Amazon has both white and yellow. Check there.
OK I definitely will. I sure hope I can find what I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip.
• Pensacola, Florida
@IreneVincent If they don't have what you're looking for let me know. There are several other online places I can direct you to.
@lexiconlover OK I will check out Amazon first and let you know. I'll have to get my son to look for me. He has an Amazon account and they order lots of things. I've never ordered anything from Amazon ever.
I have never tried this, but should give it a go one of these days. I like the fried aspect of it.
I think you would like it, if you like corn bread.
The word alone turns me off.
Really? Why? It's just corn meal. Don't you like corn bread? It's not exactly that but close.
@softbabe44 (5902)
• Vancouver, Washington
Well hopefully it will show up some where.
Yes, I hope I can find the coarse white corn meal. That's what I've been looking for.
• Vancouver, Washington
@IreneVincent Would a whole food store have it.
@softbabe44 That's where I'm going to look next. The closest Whole Food Store is a long way from where I live. I wish there were one closer.
I've only had polenta once or twice in restaurants. It isn't a common food here, at least not as far as I know.
It's basically Italian, I guess. I love my version of it but can't seem to find the right corn meal around here.
@rina110383 (24141)
I haven't tasted one. The corn meal sounds tasty.
It is very tasty, especially if you like corn bread.
@buenavida (7961)
• Sweden
This is something I would like to try.. Sounds yummy..
I think it's very tasty, myself. But, some people may not like it at all.
@Ronrybs (7301)
• London, England
I've seen it in the shps, but tried any
You should try it sometime. Slice it and fry it in butter or grill it.
Yes,I hate polenta.I know it is Italian but hate the taste..No thanks pass on to others
I'm surprised that you hate it. But, to each his own, I guess. I don't like beets or watermelon. And most people think I'm a little crazy. But hey. If you don't like something, you just don't like it.
My brother makes it when he makes Chicken Cacciatore. It is delicious!