Crazy Neighbors And Newlyweds

The first place we rented as newlyweds was a furnished apartment. It was clean, cheap, beautiful and had two swimming pools. Students and staff from Kansas State University lived there, families from the army base at Fort Riley lived there too. Most were normal, friendly and good neighbors. The town was Manhattan, Kansas. We didn't particularity like living where we could hear our neighbors and smell our neighbors cooking. But most were friendly and quiet. Our neighbors included one beautiful young mother from Europe who was a masseuse. My husband was in love with another woman :) She gave free massages. Two newly weds, just like us, were on both sides of us for that first year. It was a miserable, loud, obnoxious new neighbor who moved in below us that made us think about moving. The final straw was when we asked them to be a bit more quiet the husband decided to torture us. His torture was yelling insults through the floor and banging the ceiling with anything he could reach, and playing his stereo as loud as he could. Then one night he was revving his motorcycle in the living room of their apartment. We phoned the supervisor of the complex and he was there in two minutes to witness this going on. The police were called and they were removed on the spot. They came back the next day to remove their stuff witnessed by the supervisor and gave us the finger at least 100 times. I hoped silently his hand hurt. Serendipity happened that week when we heard a prof at the University needed someone to live in his furnished house. We took it! The house was lovely and we never stayed in an apartment again. The photo above is a photo of the Professor's home, fully furnished that we lived in for a year.
What a dreadful situation to have to put up with. I'm glad the police supervised their removal.
It was an interesting and a bit scary, this burly angry motorcycle guy was awful. Funny, all the motorcycle people I've met since then have been really nice people. This guy was not.
What a lovely place. After having some lunatic neighbors, it is a good thing that they were evicted.
They were gone in a heart beat after dragging that motorcycle into the carpeted living room... We loved the house!
@miniam (9241)
• Bern, Switzerland
There are neighbours who you can call evil and im sure your neighbour was one of them. im lucky we have strict laws for such things, if a neighbour did that he/she will be fined quite heavily upto CHF 1000 this helps keep people in line even difficult people. Hurt them in the wallet and they will not repeat, but people like your former neighbour keep terrorizing people whenever they go
They were very unfriendly and didn't belong in an complex like that. It was full of fun loving and mostly young people. They were awful.
You really did have a great place to move to for a more peaceful living situation. We rented apts. in college too and there was always someone who was disruptive in those complexes.
We were very happy to have found that house. We loved it for a year and then moved on to a new town and new job.
I love the look of the place there.
It was a great house, we were lucky to be working at the University and got the house when the prof went overseas.
nice house
it was wonderful with a beautiful patio on the back. We enjoyed it and from then on we rented houses instead of apartments, until we bought our own.
@PainsOnSlate Welcome to my world. I have someone above me that makes noise on purpose and acts as though he does not so from now on when he asks I will not say anything. He knows what he does and I do too and then across from us they slam the door very loud even though they have child. They act like babies instead of grown up people.
Can’t stand nasty people, I do what I can to ignore them,, thankfully my neighborhood is friendly and a nice place to live.
@PainsOnSlate I am glad you have a good neighborhood.
@gofsey (1284)
• Madurai, India
Good for you. Hope you are comfortable and happy now.
That was years ago, I am happy and comfortable now. Thanks!
@gofsey (1284)
• Madurai, India
@PaintsOnSlate It is good to see the path you trod though. Could provide a pointer or two.
Its amazing how different people can be when they are "home" but others can still hear, see or smell them. We have neighbours on both sides, the women, one on each side, like to holler. Even when they are outside talking on their telephone, you cannot escape the gossip and negativity of their conversations. It makes me thankful that I'm quiet and soft spoken.
It truly would drive me crazy to hear hollering from my neighbors. I love absolute quiet. I hear occasionally a big truck go by or someone saying hello with their horn, and occasionally one or both of our neighbors has a party but its very temporary and not obnoxious.My neighbor to the south was in school with my daughter. Her kids parties can be annoying but usually just when everyone is leaving and slamming the car doors...
@PainsOnSlate It doesn't do anything for my nerves or for my husband's, we both like to enjoy our back yard and relax in it, but the women that live on both sides are so abnoxiously loud, and they really have no regard for anyone else. Its not wonder that neither of them ever have any company over. Now thankfully the one neighbour has a seasonal lot with a camper on it and they are gone to that every weekend and for a few weeks of holidays during the warmer camping season.
Lol - You hoped his finger hurt! . I've never lived in an apartment, I'm sure I'd hate it.
I will never live in an apartment...I hope.... I just realized I had comments on this post I thought I had finished. Sorry its late but it happens some times...
@PainsOnSlate Yes, no matter how vigilant we are the odd comment gets through unnoticed. Not to worry.
It was good you got out and moved away. You never know when someone would take revenge. A very cute cottage!! We had apartments too for the first few years of our marriage and our first one was the worst. The couple fought all the time and he beat her up and threw her around against the walls, etc. They had a baby and she was so incompetent that she force fed him and the 8 month old baby was too heavy for her to lift. Back in the 60's and at 18 years of age I had no idea how to help her except try to be her friend and be there for her. I never forgot them. Her name was Victoria and the baby's name was Victor.
That is so sad, she had a baby so young and didn't know how to take care of him. You wonder where her mother was... That apartment was the only apartment we ever had, we got into renting houses, it took a few years to amass furniture but it was a fun period in our younger years.
@PainsOnSlate You were smart not to buy it all on credit. It's so smart to amass it slowly piece by piece and more fun too.
@vickyrose (1990)
• Canberra, Australia
That's a pretty home. I'd say that I've had my share of experience with weird neighbours.
This particular neighbor was the worst of all time, I am happy to say something like that never happened again, so all is good.
@MsTickle (24962)
Very nice indeed. A happy accident indeed.
it was a happy accident!
@scheng1 (24801)
I stay in an apartment all my life, and I dearly wish to have a chance to stay in a house. The walls in the apartment blocks are thick, and we hardly see our neighbors or hear them.
I hope you get to live in a house some day. You are lucky the walls are thick, its annoying to hear then all day..
That must have been horrible to live with those nasty neighbors.
It was but it was short, they were nasty and stupid and the motorcycle in the living room was the last straw for the supervisor...
How often have you moved house in your life?
I think the number is 27. We moved a lot because of my husbands job. Whenever he got the opportunity to get a better job and more money we moved. We decided even before we had children that his career/profession was important and we never looked back. When we moved to Canada we moved a few times getting our kids in the schools we thought would be best for them. But his job didn't move us once in Canada.
@rina110383 (24135)
I would love to live in that beautiful house with all the trees surrounding it. It looks like a peaceful place.
t was a pretty house and so quiet. We did love it.
This is a beautiful house. We have lived in an apartment of 30 years in Monte-Carlo, we had good neighbors, they were polite and we never had problems. The city was noisy.
You were lucky, our apartment was a fast build for students and other who don't stick around. I was glad to leave it behind.
@Marcyaz (35672)
That is a beautiful picture of the house that you lived in for a year. To bad when living in the apartment you had such noisy neighbors but it was best to move when they reved the motorcylce inside the apartment.
They were idiots and bully's we didn't miss them. We soon found that house to live in and loved it.