Rain Forest Green Marble Tile

@fishtiger58 (30380)
Momence, Illinois
I have mentioned before that my husband is retired and got bored over the winter, so he decided to build a bathroom in the basement. He has been wanting a bathroom in the basement since we bought this house. It will have a shower as well. Most of the material we need to complete the bathroom has been bought, but we have a couple more things to get once all the walls are in. We need to be sure of the measurements. I'm not horribly picky about the tile for the floor and shower but it was the only thing I wanted to have a part in deciding. We have been looking at tile for weeks now. And we have decided and the tile is ordered. We decided on this beautiful polished green marble tile. Here is the odd thing about green marble tile. It can warp. Who ever heard of such a thing. Marble warps?? Apparently if the marble is green, yes I said green it can warp. Thinking the tile people were yanking my chain I did a bit of research. Yup it's true green marble tile can warp. You have to use a special epoxy to make sure that it doesn't warp. And it's not cheap. So what is becoming the most expensive part of the bathroom is by far the tiles when you factor in the epoxy. Thankfully my husband and I are not big spenders so we decided we really liked the tile and we splurged. I can't wait to get it in.
@scheng1 (24813)
Wow, I never even think that someone will spend so much money on bathroom tiles. For us here, marble tiles are meant for living room, because that is the place that gets most visitors, and marble tiles really shine when you switch on the light at night.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
In the US what sells a house is a great kitchen and a even better bathroom. This will be our 3rd bathroom in this house.
@mommaj (22711)
@fishtiger58 Fewer people in the house and more bathrooms? Are you planning on selling? @scheng1 hello. What do you use in the bathrooms? Less Inexpensive tiles? I think you have the right idea since the living areas would get the most traffic and company. Us Americans like personal comforts. LOL
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@mommaj 3 peeps and 3 bathrooms. And now my son has a girlfriend she stays over a couple of nights a week. I'm not super happy about that little development but I want my son happy and she makes him happy and she is a nice girl with a good head on her shoulders. So I deal with it what you gonna do?
My brother has a green marble master bath with gold fixtures. Stunning. We have a green marble vanity with gold fixtures at home. None of ours have ever warped. Enjoy your new bathroom.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
I guess your green marble was put on correctly. Apparently the common adhesive just won't work for green marble. My husband says using epoxy will guarantee the marble won't warp.
@DianneN Sounds like you and your brother both have some beautiful bathrooms! Our vanity is wooden with a marble top but our marble is white and a darker color I am thinking it is us black. WE have gold fixtures, but I don't know if they are real or not as I was very young when daddy remodeled the bathroom! Is the green bathroom in your winter or summer house? Sounds like ypu jhave great taste!
@Marty1 Thank you. Yours sounds lovely, too. The green is in our main home. Every bathroom is different. We have grey marble in Florida.
Oh, that is beautiful, I love it. I am trying to remember my geology, because we did identify and study marble a little, but it has been too long now. But I am sure the extra expense will so be worth it and when you are done, you should share a picture of the new room.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
I sure will my husband has a long way to go yet but eventually he will get it done.
@fishtiger58 He sounds like a very productive man, so no rush, I know it takes time, but I am looking forward to seeing it when it is done.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@Carmelanirel2 So am I lol. He has the plumbing done and one wall up. So he has a bit of work to do yet.
Wow, that is so hard to believe but I gotta say you do have really good taste, it's beautiful. Maybe it warps because the green is organic? Could that be? I'm just curious.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
Anna said it's because green marble is more sensitive to moisture. So we have to make sure it's put on correctly or it will warp. Now we are a bit more nervous about this whole process, we have already ordered and paid for the tile. It's gorgeous, and once it's on I will be taking and posting pictures. We are putting this tile on the floor of the bathroom and on the walls of the shower.
That's going to be beautiful @fishtiger58 but boy what a bunch of work that'll require.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@rebelann Hope it won't be too bad, but it's what my husband wants so it's up to him to get it right.
@mommaj (22711)
Congratulations. That is beautiful. It looks like real marble. I am glad you got what you wanted.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh it's real arighty lol. Thanks I can't wait till the bathrooms finished now
@mommaj (22711)
@fishtiger58 LOL. Enjoy. (?)
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@mommaj I plan on singing in the shower lol, while looking at my pretty tile. This is my dream lol
@fishtiger58 Ooh that is beautiful, I didn;t think marble could warp either, What is it that makes it warp? And what is epoxy? I have heard of it but have no idea in the least what it is and for what it is used? Does that mean you have to apply it all over the tile?Would the epoxy change the beautiful tiles color by anyway! You certainly chose well! If I took a shower instead of a bath, i would be begging for this! Let us see a picture when it is done!
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
Apparently it can warp because green marble is more susceptible to moisture. The epoxy is a super hard drying glue to keep the marble tile on the wall and to keep it from warping. You only put the epoxy on the back side of the tile. The front will be just as it is.
@fishtiger58 Oh, I thought you would put epoxy on top of it. I don;t know much about construction as my dad determined my sister and I would be girly ladies and thought the building was for guys!
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@Marty1 I only know because it's my hubby building the basement bathroom. And he has laid other tiles in our other bathroom and in the kitchen.
It's beautiful. I'm sure you'll love it when you get it finished.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
Thanks I love it can't wait. Have a ways to go yet.
@fishtiger58 You'll need to take a picture to show us the finished product.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him I sure will.
Yes, I know that the green marble can warp. The reason is simple, the green marble is very sensitive to moisture. When water enters the stone, it causes the marble to warp. My mother has a green marble floor.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
Wow thanks Anna I found that it warped but didn't know why. We are putting this tile on the floor and the walls of the shower. I will certainly tell my husband the reason. And we better make sure we get it right.
@fishtiger58 Not all the green marble warp, but it's better you get it right, because in a bathroom there is a lot of humidity.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck Yes we have the epoxy ordered and hubby is already reading up on how to use it correctly because we don't want it to be wrong. We are putting this tile on the floor and the shower wall.
• Portland, Connecticut
Wow who knew. It is beautiful. My only thought is whether or not marble is slippery. Old bones and all!! lol
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
I hope it isn't it's ordered and cost us a ton. We had to buy them by the box so we will have extras, I'm already thinking about what to do with the rest. I told my hubby I want him to make me a new side table for next to the bed and I want the top to be that left over marble. But that's just one piece so I have to come up with something else.
@Blondie2222 (21227)
We are building a bathroom in our basement as well. We been trying to for years and just now finally able too. We are saving it for a winter project though as we have many summer projects already planned. Most materials our bought just gotta get working on it.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
Thankfully we are not in a huge hurry for it, we have 2 bathrooms now that are working just fine. So it's coming along slowly, my hubby had to cut some concrete and that was a mess but that's done and it was the messiest part of the whole deal. Good luck on your bathroom.
@PainsOnSlate (20079)
Its certainly different. I think I love it. I've never heard of marble warping. so strange. I hope when you get it done you will show us photos of the room.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
I am getting excited about it, at first I was indifferent, didn't much care if there was a bathroom or not. It's coming along slowly but he's retired so he can go as slow as he wishes. I sure will be showing photos when it's completed.
@JESSY3236 (6038)
That's pretty tile. I never heard of that either.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
I'm glad they told us about it, we had no clue either.
@slund2041 (3384)
I would love to see a picture of the finished product.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
I will certainly post pictures of the bathroom and especially the tile when he is all done
@epiffanie (9675)
oh wow! That is so beautiful! .. If I saw tiles like that when we were building our small house in our retreat, I would have picked that ..
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
I looked at a lot of tile but I loved this one the most. I am excited to get it
no doubt 'tis gonna be jest beautiful once completed. can't wait to see pic's 'f it :D yepperz, the green schtuff'll warp 'n that added 'xpense jest not worth it to some.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
It's what I have my heart set on so we decided to get it anyway. We also have the special epoxy ordered as well.
I wish I had a handy husband like yours. We have two bathroom and in the summer, even though we have the central air running all the time, our dog takes over my bathroom due to the coolness of the stone tiles. I need a powder room in my basement just for me since the dog will not move out of mine. It will cost a bundle to have that done by a pro, but I need a bathroom! Glad you are getting a nice one! Will forgo the green marble tiles though.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
He is doing a good job, and he doesn't work on it every day. But he's retired so how ever long it takes it's still going to be way cheaper than paying someone to do it.