Beans or Peas? Can't Be Both! Can They??

chick peas and couscous
Austin, Texas
My friend wasn't feeling well and sent her husband to do the grocery shopping. She made out the list. She thought her language was plain. On the list she had written “butter”. Her husband brought home butter! She exclaims: “You know we never eat butter! You know what kind of margarine I always buy!!” He's like scratching his head and confused: “The list said 'butter'.” She laughed when she was telling me the story. She remarked: “Men are so obedient.” That's my lead in for another story. My husband sent my son to the store with a list. When my son got back he was sooooo frustrated! It seems he had gone everywhere looking for an item on the list, only to discover that the item had a different name. He comes back and home all flustered and says: “Dad! Why didn't you tell me garbanzo beans and chick peas are the same??” So later my husband asks me (as if I would know!) … “Who was it that changed the name from garbanzo beans to chick peas anyway??!!” So I Googled it and found an answer; and also learned that these legumes are called Bengal grams and Egyptian peas. But as to who dun it? I'm clueless. A grocery list can be such an educational tool.
Want something that's delicious and helps you with weight loss ?CHICKPEA SALADplease note .....
• Pleasant Hill, California
One of my nuttiest girlfriend quotations (she was really mad at me): "Don't do what I said! Do what I meant!"
• Austin, Texas
That quote is priceless!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@cmoneyspinner And it's real. Not something some comedian thought up.
• Austin, Texas
@TheHorse - Very real!
@UncleJoe (8529)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Becky sent me to get her some cold cream. Isn't ice cream cold?
• Austin, Texas
Please don't tell me she sent you back to the store. Because that's what my husband does to me! The people who work at the stores may not know my name but they know me! I've been to customer service returning items on several occasions.
• Lakewood, Colorado
I love these legumes. Any kind as a matter of fact. Ha yes sometimes our list is so obediently adhered to by my son lolz I cant send him shopping it has to be me..language.
@irishidid (8134)
Your friend's husband is smarter than your friend. Sorry, but I had to say it. Butter is always better than margarine both taste and health wise.
@AnneEJ (5111)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
That is cute. I always call margarine, butter, so I can see how that would be confusing.
• Austin, Texas
Me too! That's why I laughed when she me the story!
Far too many names for one type of food. Confusing to say the least!
• Austin, Texas
Different cultures have different names for the same food. It's all good! I remember the first time I tasted chick peas. They were on a salad. For a long time I thought that was the only way to eat them. Then I came across a food sample in a store and they had them in soup. That opened a window in my mind. I started thinking of recipes ideas. The most amazing discovery was when I found out that hummus was made of chick peas. As Chef Emeril would say "Oh yeah baby!"
I had the same problem years ago when I went to buy chick peas for the first time. My hubby is very literal, too. Men!
I do shopping for many of my clients. When I tell them about a dish that I would like to prepare for them we go over the shopping list. Sometimes they have other people do the shopping and often get confused when trying to find what is on the list. They have never heard of some of the items.
Amusing little discussion.
@artemeis (4004)
Peas and beans are different and by a long shot too. This is hilariously confusing so I am not really going to find out what happened in the past since we have enough confusion between green beans and mung beans. lol
• Austin, Texas
Going to have to categorize this grocery shopping episode under food humor, food history, and food mystery.
@artemeis (4004)
@cmoneyspinner String beans and long beans, I can assure you that this is one "bean" you are not going to find in a grocery store.
• Midland, Michigan
I new about the two names, but never gave it much thought. I guess it could prove to be questionable to someone that either never bought it before, or saw the cans. I think each manufacturer decides on which to call it. Even the chick peas should be found in the bean section I'd think.
• Austin, Texas
At the grocery store where I shop, they are on the same shelf as the beans. Makes it easy. I can get my red beans, black beans, pinto beans and chick peas all in the same spot.
@1hopefulman (20244)
I hate to do shopping from a given list as there are never enough details to identify some items and hate coming home with the wrong items. Thankfully, I now live alone and so whatever I buy is exactly what I want, most of the time.
• Austin, Texas
Never enough details? Yep. God bless mobile phones. These days I don't think people could make a “successful” trip to the grocery store if they didn't have their cell phones to call for “clarification”!
Four names for the same thing is just too much