The power of bite-sized posts on myLot

By Gina
@Gina145 (4094)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Last night I came across a post which asked whether myLot should implement a minimum word count. Opinions were mixed, but most of those I read seemed happy with the current format. I didn't respond to the discussion at the time because I didn't feel I had anything to add. But when I woke up this morning with memories of another short post reverberating in my mind, I realised the true power of the bite-sized post. One of the pleasures of myLot is that I can browse through posts on a variety of topics which I probably wouldn't read about elsewhere. Bite-sized posts make for easy reading and may ignite my interest in an unfamiliar topic, leading me to research the topic more. On the other hand a long, well thought out post can be intimidating if the topic isn't something which already interests me.
i've run 'cross very few 'bite-sized posts' that've grabbed my interest. but then there's some who can string a discussion with others quite well with 'em it seems. i aint fond'f novella's here, jest fer the simple fact i've gotta read 'em lots'f times fer schtuff to sink into the brain these days. my readin' comprehension's gone down the loo :(
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I know just what you mean about reading comprehension @crazyhorseladycx. I have the same problem because my brain tends to drift off in other directions. I think too much time online is really bad for my attention span.
@Gina145 i think perhaps such's due to short schtuff?? our brains're gettin' retrained into much more jest aint gonna sink'n? i dunno, but i strive to correct it. big hugs!!
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@crazyhorseladycx You may be right about that, or it may just be that there's so much information available that we keep being lured by the other things that are waiting to be read.
@euphie (590)
• Ballymena, Northern Ireland
Sometimes long posts work better but sometimes I have seen long discussions from one line posts on here. Personally, I think that it's better to make some effort but some people are better at making each word count whereas I maybe need a few words to explain myself.
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@euphie You're right. There is a place for both, and I certainly don't stay away from long posts if they interest me. But there's actually a skill to saying a lot with few words and that's something I want to learn.
@euphie (590)
• Ballymena, Northern Ireland
@Gina145 I'm not great at it myself either if I'm honest. Maybe it's something that you pick up over time though.
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@euphie I hope so. In some cases I imagine a fair amount of editing will be required to get it right though.
@kaka135 (13442)
I am fine with short posts, as long as they are meaningful or interesting. I always think my posts are too long, as others might feel tired or bored reading them, and I have been trying to keep mine as short as possible.
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@kaka135 There's a place for long posts and short ones because not everyone likes the same thing. Nothing we do will ever please everyone.
@kaka135 (13442)
@Gina145 Yes, I have learned not to please everyone years ago. But, I am always learning to talk less and write shorter (straight to the point), but I am still not there yet.
@salonga (27961)
Too long posts is not attractive to me especially because my time is limited and would want to comment to as many as I could. Bite-sized posts with substance is better.
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@salonga The important thing is that they need to have substance. Some do, others don't.
@salonga (27961)
@Gina145 I totally agree!
• Eugene, Oregon
I am not sure what a "bite-sized" post is, but if it a one liner, I seldom ever read or comment on them. It seems as if the writer is just trying to garner interest with the least amount of effort. I have not seen any really long posts here, unless it I who have been writing them, lol. I think my last was 300 words.
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@JamesHxstatic I guess that a one-liner rarely starts a decent discussion, though I wouldn't say that's impossible. But a few sentences can certainly say something meaningful. Sometimes the topic requires 300 words or more, but not always.
@PainsOnSlate (18726)
I agree although I tend to do long posts. I'm just gabby....but I understand if a post is too big I often look down the list by the author and go for a shorter one is I'm not interested in the subject or I have to run and don't have time to read a long post before I'm out the door. It happens...
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@PainsOnSlate There's definitely a place for both types of posts. As you say, sometimes time is an issue. Like right now. I've got an early appointment tomorrow and it's past midnight, so all I've had time for is my notifications - not even time to read short posts Ah well, myLot will still be here tomorrow.
@lady1993 (13032)
I stay away from long posts, since i am quite lazy - 4 paragraphs scare me I am quite okay if they implement minimum word count though, since some people just repeat the title of the discussion... 20 words should do, i guess
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@lady1993 20 words should be easy for anyone to achieve, and the post should definitely contain more than just what's written in the title. A post of 4 or more paragraphs doesn't worry me if it's interesting and well written. Rather that than one paragraph of 20 lines. Big blocks of words that aren't split into paragraphs are the ones that scare me.
@KuznVinny (780)
Bite-size almost guarantees you won't learn anything. But it's easy to take. It's pleasant. The Internet search engines are not overly fond of bite-size. At least, not to date. It eventually has so far meant the doom of an online site, except, perhaps Twitter.
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@KuznVinny That's true of some bite-sized posts, but not all of them. And if a discussion is interesting enough, the page gets filled up with discussions. I'm not sure whether or not that helps with the search engines, but I've never really felt like I'm writing for search engines at myLot anyway. I keep the longer posts for my blog.
@scheng1 (24957)
There should be minimum word count to start a discussion, and to response on a discussion. If not, you will start to see discussion threads with less than 10 words, even to the point of having just a question mark in the main body of the discussion. It has happened before, and will happen again.
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@scheng1 That's certainly not what I want to see. Strangely just after I submitted this post earlier, I saw a post with about five words in the title and one word in the body. But it is possible to make people think with a short post, so I don't see anything wrong with posts which use few words as long as they have something meaningful to say.
I think for each of us, the majority of posts are not of our interest or something we can't relate to and that is why variety and having posts about everything under the sun is so important. The more posts thrown out there, the more chance of us finding something to respond to.
@Gina145 (4094)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@JohnRoberts That's true, but it's also nice to be exposed to something outside our normal interests. A site like myLot can help us to learn about people who live in other countries or just have very different lives to our own.
@crossbones27 (14328)
• Redlands, California
Most people do not like real long posts I think. I try to keep mine fairly short to medium. Do have some long ones though.
I hope they leave it alone because,I want it to remain as it is. We can choose to read a post of pass it by.
I much prefer reading short posts here on Mylot.