I paid if forward at ALDI

Dallas, Texas
You know about the Quarter system at ALDI right? I got out of the car with a quarter in my right hand and began walking to the parked carts but before I reached them a lady with a cart offered hers to me. I tried to give her my quarter but she refused to take it. She smiled and walked on. I now had a shopping cart with the quarter already in the slot. I put the other quarter in my pocket. Thinking about this I realized that lady and her kindness. When I finished buying my groceries and walked out to put up the cart I saw an old man with his grandson along side him. The man had a cane and the boy seemed to be at a disadvantage, as he was walking with a limp. I offered the cart to him. He took it thankfully. I did not ask for a quarter in return. I payed it forward. That is the way to do things. It leaves you feeling like you did a good thing for a stranger. Think about this the next time you go to an ALDI. It is the right thing to do. It didn't cost me a quarter. After all I still had my 25 cents in my pocket. The reason this is a good deed to do is simple, sometimes a person might arrive at the ALDI with no cash and have no way of getting a cart to put their groceries in. They may be on food stamps. In that case, paying it forward by giving the cart helps out in a way that nothing else ever would.
This is something I can do. When our Aldi store opened, they offered to all customers a token to use in their cart. Is the same size and shape of the 2 CHF (more or less same as $2) that we should put in the cart.
• Dallas, Texas
I did not know they let you use tokens in Switzerland, but things are a bit different in the USA. I guess.
@lookatdesktop We can use our token, all our main supermarkets gave us a token for the carts, so people have no excuses not to have the coin to get one. Of course you have to put the cart back, but this is something everybody does.
• Dallas, Texas
@LadyDuck , That is very good to know. Believe it or not, some people in Dallas, actually leave the cart out in the lot and lose a quarter. They are so lazy they would rather let the cart take up parking space just to get away faster. But most of them are frugal and want their quarter back. Some even pay it forward to the next person when they can afford to do without a quarter. This works for some, not for everyone.
@Marcyaz (35591)
I am assuming that ALDI is a super market and you have to paid a quarter to use their cart. How nice to give the cart to another person so they don't have to spend a quarter that they might not have to spend on a cart.
• Dallas, Texas
It seems like a logical thing to do.
@Marcyaz (35591)
@lookatdesktop Yep it sure does I would have to agree.
@kataomoi (706)
• Japan
That's nice of you. I know a lot of people who are offered carts with quarters in them and then they take the quarter as their own afterwards. That is very greedy. I'm glad you are not the same.
• Dallas, Texas
Yea, but they would be that way in any case, still it doesn't take away the good intentions of those with good will towards others.
@aju007 (1470)
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
Thats very nice of you both. Here we didnt have to pay for a cart, its free but you have to return it though. But your message is great. We should be helping others as we can. Its a good deed.
• Dallas, Texas
Right on!
@TheSojourner (17298)
We unfortunately do not have an Aldi here, but I have done things like this at the Starbucks where I pay $5 extra and have them take that off on the next person that buys regular coffee, or any number of things. Sometimes, when I go to a buffet I pick out someone who is dining alone, and pay for their meal on my way out the door. I cannot do those sorts of things very often because I'm not living on but one income Source now. But we can find little ways to help people. And we need to start looking for those things rather than simply always being in it for ourselves. Great message!
• Dallas, Texas
I am very pleased by your response. You are an inspiration for everyone.
@lookatdesktop thank you but I'm not trying to be an inspiration. Or call attention to self. We all are capable of doing something
• Dallas, Texas
@CoralLevang You have covered that aspect well. lol. Some are capable but unwilling, lol.
I think I will do that next time at Aldi's. Lord knows I don't have alot of money, but that is something I could handle!
• Dallas, Texas
One good deed leads to another, but there will always be that one person who will take that quarter and not pass it forward. You have to basically set the example and hope that it will influence a positive behavior in others.