Is frozen food better than fresh food

@millie02 (6908)
United Kingdom
I was reading an online article about food the other day. They were talking about the benefits of using frozen food rather than fresh food. Apparently, the scientists have discovered that frozen food is best because there are more vitamins in frozen food. They were referring to fruit and veg because the fruit and veg gets frozen very quickly once it is picked, which means that all the vitamins stay in the food. When fruit and veg are sat on the shelf , a lot of the vitamins are lost as it starts to age. Do you prefer fresh or frozen food?
I do prefer fresh foods, but sometimes I do eat frozen foods.
@millie02 (6908)
It makes a change doesn`t it.
I prefer fresh. Nothing better than fresh, but now days frozen vegs and such seem okay.
@millie02 (6908)
I think that frozen veg and frozen foods in general are better than they used to be.
@millie02 .....Yes, better machinery. Fresh is best though if possible.
@AkoPinay (11707)
I prefer fresh to save electricity
@millie02 (6908)
It is good to save electricity where you can.
@Chungshop (2343)
Frozen food is more easy to get and keep. But I don't like frozen vegetables, we eat fresh vegetable lo. We think more vitamins and healthy value than frozen vege
@millie02 (6908)
Fresh vegetables have more flavour.
@millie02 (6908)
Fresh veg have more flavour.
@Ronrybs (7301)
• London, England
I use frozen veg as I can't use fresh quick enough and don't want to throw anything away
@millie02 (6908)
Buying frozen food can cut down on waste.
@Ronrybs (7301)
• London, England
@millie02 That's why I buy frozen
@Vjvals (935)
• Roseville, California
I generally like fresh fruit and just fresh in general and take time with it all, more rewarding
@millie02 (6908)
Sometimes food can lose it`s flavour in the freezing process and some foods are best eaten fresh.
We eat quite a bit of frozen foods. They taste as good 99 percent of the time to me as the fresh.
@millie02 (6908)
Some of them taste the same as fresh. You would not know that you were eating something out of the freezer.
@KuznVinny (774)
I don't choose food based on fresh or frozen, really. Whatever is available and reasonably priced and I will enjoy... But I once did hear the "French" chef, Julia Childs, say that sometimes a fresh purchase may not be as good as a frozen one. She mentioned turkeys during holiday season. She said producers can't slaughter them all at the same time, so some may be "sitting around" unfrozen for a while before sale.
@millie02 (6908)
This could be a problem.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
I cannot possibly agree with the scientists on this. There are no doubt some benefits in freezing the food early compared to freezing it later, but it has to have been better prior to freezing. Frozen food may retain vitamins, but being frozen cannot add any.
@millie02 (6908)
I think they mean that the food loses vitamins by itself when it is being stored rather than being cooked straight away.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@millie02 Yes I rather gathered that, but in that case they are really saying that frozen food will be better than food that has been stored too long, which is obvious.
Hmm very interesting and, I like both I guess.
@millie02 (6908)
Using frozen food is easiest because it is already prepared. I use both myself.
@millie02 Same I use both too, frozen is good because quick and, easy also tastes pretty close to fresh.
@Lucky15 (33423)
it depends for me :)
@millie02 (6908)
I suppose it depends on if you are in a hurry or not. Frozen food is quicker.
When I first read the word frozen food, what came to mind was food that are packed with a lot of preservatives. And of course I don't consider them healthy at all. But upon reading your discussion and what was meant by frozen food was actually frozen fruit to preserve their vitamins and minerals, I came to understand. I like to eat frozen apples, grapes, pears, and mango. Including watermelon and melon too! I like to munch on them in the summer season when it's extremely hot.
@millie02 (6908)
Sounds good, healthier than an iced lolly.