Just When You Think It's Safe to Look Up

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
Not long ago, I was sitting in my car waiting for my sister to come out of the grocery store when out came a girl wearing painted-on jeans and a decidedly annoyed expression on her face. She was carrying a purse in one hand and a huge cup of iced coffee topped with whipped cream in the other. Just as she was approaching the truck she was riding in, she turned around and started walking back toward the store. Seems her husband (or boyfriend) had come out, and I thought she was just going back to meet him or maybe help him carry what he'd bought. Imagine my surprise when she walked right up to him, threw her drink at him, and started berating him in front of everyone going in and out of the store for being too slow!!! I sat there watching all this from the comfort of my car, from the time he got splattered with the drink to when they were in the truck leaving. She called him every name in the book, with a few expletives thrown in for effect, and he was clearly in shock over it all, as he kept asking her "What did I do?" I've seen lots of confrontations on TV, but seeing one taking place in real life just a few feet away was vastly different. I had no idea how this would all play out in the end, but I drove away before that couple did, so I'll never know. One thing I do know is that at least one man in the world had his day ruined that afternoon! (Public Domain Image)
That probably wasn't the first time she'd been abusive to him, what I don't get is why he took it.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Hard to understand. But there are abused men out there. We just don't hear about it as often.
Very true @Raelove and what I really don't get, given all the help people can get, is why anyone stays in an abusive relationship.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@rebelann I don't understand it either. Fear keeps a lot of people from reaching out for help, I guess.
Goodness she must have a very hot temper to react that violently and in public yet
I have never acted that way in public.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, she was awful! I think a lot of it was showing off, too. She was doing a tough act to get attention. Seemed like overkill to me, but who knows? She may have had a gripe against him. That just wasn't the place to air it out.
@jstory07 nor I and never aired any grievance with my hubbyin public either we rarely fought as we talked things over
@Raelove 1. Painted on Jeans? 2. Her behavior does sound extreme! Is it possible that she was a bit upset because of how 'exposed' she felt?
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I doubt it, Bernie. At the risk of sounding judgmental, she seemed like the type of girl who liked to call a lot of attention to herself in more ways than one, the first being a really bad attitude!
@Raelove She sounds like she needs a mental health assessment and likely a stay on a Psych Ward!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@Berniezeitler She needs something!
What childish behavior. If I were the man I would have left her standing in the parking lot.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Who knows how some people process things like this? Hard to tell what I would have done had someone treated me like this. Glad it didn't involve me!
@Raelove Toss a drink at someone because they took too long. Wow, I keep playing that scene over and over in my mind.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@ElusiveButterfly You had to be there. I'm sure that I once again sat there with my jaw hanging. She kept screaming at him something about "what took you so long?" I will never forget the sight of that guy walking back to his truck trying to wipe the whipped cream off his face and shirt.
That is a very pitiful scene to have to witness. Not a pretty sight at all. Hope that incident did not escalate into something physical.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I hope not. She was clearly playing the tough chick. If she had a gripe, that's one thing. But this public display was not necessary.
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
You can never know what's going on inside a relationsip, but it is almost certain that they have many issues to solve.
Something had to have made her mad.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Maybe. But he seemed just as surprised at her behavior as everyone else did. And she clearly was acting out. Throwing the drink at him was a bit much.
Now you'll be wondering what provoked that!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Yup! I can't imagine what could have happened between the time she came out and then the time he came out of the store. Whatever it was, she wasted a perfectly good iced coffee on it! Or maybe that was it: the coffee was lousy.
@Raelove I thought the same thing, better cold than hot. Maybe he flirted with someone in the store.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill I'm not sure. All she kept saying was that he was too (f-word) slow. Let's put it this way: they weren't a good match!
She sounds like she needs some help for anger issues. He needs to get away from her!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Oh yes, anger with a capital A!
@Raelove We all get mad at one time or another. But berating and throwing things isn't normal to me.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@Susan2015 No, and especially in public! Sheesh.
@rosekiss (30272)
• Eugene, Oregon
That really had to be embarrassing for him. She sounds a little unstable if you ask me. It makes me wonder what the other people thought that were coming in and out of the store. I think if I had seen someting like that, I would have been stunned seeing it. I do feel sorry for the guy, as what she did was totally uncalled for.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I was completely stunned. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I remember thinking that her reaction would have been extreme no matter what he did, which couldn't have been much considering they were in a grocery store!
@rosekiss (30272)
• Eugene, Oregon
@Raelove He could have called the police, and who knows, but that maybe she would have got arrewted. It is amazing that he didn't though.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@rosekiss They left the parking lot the same time I did, so I will never know what happened. And I don't want to!!!
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
I feel sorry about her boyfriend/husband after reading this.I am sure it wasn't a pleasant scene to watch.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
No, it wasn't. Stuff like this usually doesn't happen around here much. Or else I'm not there to see it. This time, I was in the right place at the wrong time!
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
@Raelove I hope at least that it ended there. This guy must have felt humiliated, no one should be treated like that (publicly or privately).
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@besweet I agree. Makes you wonder how many more people suffer at the hands of cruel people.
My goodness I have assisted to some dispute between man and woman but nothing like this.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
That's not the only incident I've seen at that store. I also saw a woman being pretty hard on a little boy who had done something "bad." She was hysterical, and I stood off in the distance to watch and make sure she didn't hit him. She finally took him into the store, so I left. I remember hoping all the way home that things didn't escalate once she was back out. I've not been lucky lately as far as seeing disturbing things.
@Raelove I agree that those are disturbing scene, but people seem to be more and more ready to make their discussion in front of strangers.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck Well, considering all the "private" conversations I've heard on cell phones in public, this isn't much different. Still disturbing to those of us who were brought up to have manners and respect.
How utterly classless.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Totally. Was a real downer.
@Raelove At least dont do this in public
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@UncleJoe (9966)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
It's obvious that the guy doesn't beat her enough!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Good Lord! I suspect he's the one being abused.
@UncleJoe (9966)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Raelove I agree. A good smack might straighten her out. Throw your coffee on me and see what happens. LOL
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@Shiva49 (13040)
I have heard/ seen few blow their top outrageously in the open and they are just not bothered about people around them - siva
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
No, this woman certainly wasn't. She was putting on a good show to prove how tough she was.
@sugartoes (40759)
• Greencastle, Indiana
how rude to act that way in public & for something so stupid & him asking what did he do was beyond what I would have said.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
It all seemed so surreal.
That is an indication that what we oldies considered as discretion is non existent
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
You're right there.
@mammots (3279)
That's something new. Its usually the man doing that to the woman.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
I have actually never seen a man treat a woman that way. And this woman proved that it's not always the man who's at fault.
@Dena91 (4256)
It's a wonder no one called the police on her. Glad you were safe in your car. I've never witnessed someone throwing their drink on another, just some yelling with choice words. Have a blessed evening.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Real violence is scary to watch, as you can't predict how far it will go.
More fool him for standing for it.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, if he puts up with it regularly. I agree.
You have all the fun.All my years here never seen anything.I guess must be missing something.She or he was po
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
LOL. I know, huh? You just never expect these things...