I Forgot to Mention

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Okay, so it's no surprise to my family, and it almost goes without saying, but I've been to my sister's house many times, even spent a week at her home while I was in training as an insurance agent at the home office there, instead of doing the commute everyday for a week. However, as much as I KNOW where my sister lives and how to get there. I missed the exit. I don't know if there is some kind of mechanism that goes off when I get in the car to go somewhere I haven't been or been in a while that says, time to get lost again, but that's what happened. Though I didn't exactly get lost. I kept going in the direction I needed to go. I don't have GPS, so I stopped twice to make certain I went the right way. Both were Kwik Trips. The first I asked another patron how to get to Highway 41. He suggested I go back. I asked him how far and if it meant going all the way back to Green Bay. He thought and came up with another workable suggestion. Left on 47 straight ahead. Okay, that worked, so off I went. When I got to a city I knew would get me onto 41 I asked at another Kwik Trip where it was. I was on course and she showed me the traffic lights leading me to the highway. YEA! Just 22 miles to go and I would be there. I called my sister at the first stop to let her know I would no doubt be late. It's customary in my family, because I'm such an early person, that I'm always the first to arrive anywhere - mostly due to my getting lost, I leave with enough time to get lost and arrive on time. Imagine my surprise when I pulled into her driveway and I was the first one there. It took me an hour and a half to go one hour. Go figure. However, I congratulated myself on not forgetting anything. I had my phone, my camera, and the hard drive so I could ask my sister-in-law if her father could pull the documents from the drive of the previous computer that crashed back in November. She said she would ask him, I even brought blank disks to burn the documents on. It was a total win/win for me today, even though I did take the wrong turn. Or no turn as it was since I missed the exit. Do you get lost easy, or easily turned around when you need to go anywhere? Thanks for reading. Picture is my sister and brother-in-law along with Dad and part of her daughter.
I am not good at orienting myself.
Me either, however yesterday I knew I had to just keep going in the direction I was going and the two people I asked for directions were very helpful.
@sueznewz2 (10139)
• Alicante, Spain
Nor me @marlina ..
@sueznewz2 (10139)
• Alicante, Spain
@just4him I often get lost and have to ask people the way....
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
If I'm going somewhere I haven't been in a very long time I do use my GPS, whoever came up with GPS is a genius.
I agree, but I don't have one.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him They are better than reading a map I love mine, I have one for each of my cars.
@fishtiger58 I wish I did. Then that voice would tell me when and where to turn.
@softbabe44 (5899)
• Vancouver, Washington
I have been in your shoes I always forget the address
It's not the address I worry about, it's getting lost along the way.
• Vancouver, Washington
@just4him That would not be to great I have done that a lot getting lost along the way.
@softbabe44 I just wasn't paying attention and missed the exit.
I am no good with giving directions really. I could get you there but it'd be a lot of backroads and "turn at mcdonalds" type directions. A friend of mine made a joke about my direction giving today even. I piped back with "Yup we ended up in a linen closet!" Either way I am glad you got there safe and sound, and still managed to be first!
I like those kinds of directions. I'm a landmark driver. I can't go by NESW nor do I count the number of stoplights along the route. If I need to turn by the church, a Burger King, McDonald's or the mall, tell me. I'll find it faster.
@just4him Yes it's not easy to follow the NSEW direction giving nor those that say "go a half mile" or "turn on blah blah road." Give me a physical landmark to look at.
@ScribbledAdNauseum Every time!
I tend to get lost at least once on road trips, even WITH a smart phone telling me where to turn
Is that because you think you know more than the smart phone? Or does it send you in the wrong direction? I've heard some GPS do that.
@sueznewz2 (10139)
• Alicante, Spain
Me too...@Jessicalynnt
ts a g ood thing that I do not drive as I do get lost easily lol.
I hope you had a good Easter.
@rosekiss (30260)
• Eugene, Oregon
Boy, do I evern get lost. I do have GPS, but sometimes, I won't use it as I think I can get to where I am going without it. I have found out, that is not the case. I do use it now whenver I need to be somewehre that isn't familiar to me. Thankg goodness for GPS, as it always gets me to wehre I need to go, and right to the very spot, so it is a great thing to have.
I agree, so far I haven't been able to afford one, and the one my dad had with the car, doesn't work.
@rosekiss That's nice to have.
@rosekiss (30260)
• Eugene, Oregon
@just4him It certainly is, as it keeps me from getting lost, which has happened to me, more than once already, all because I chose not to use the GPS. I learned my leesson, and now I use it all the time, when I am not familiar with an area that I have not been to before.
@Drosophila (16699)
they look like such good people! yep I get lost at a drop of hat
They are. That's my sister and her husband, and my niece and father.
@Drosophila (16699)
@just4him I can definitely see the family resemblance
@Drosophila Yeah, we do tend to look alike.
Oh I am the very same way. I can get lost finding my way out of a paper bag! And directions do very little for me, I can hear the word left and turn on my right blinker. I always have an adventure to tell when I arrive some place-usually late as a result! I'm glad that you had a nice Easter.
I always leave early so I'm not too late by the time I arrive. I hope you had a nice Easter.
@just4him Thanks, we did have a nice Easter weekend.
@Juliaacv Wonderful.
@MGjhaud (20672)
maybe its about time we install GPS. glad that you still made it, not to mention prepared with the camera to capture this photo. the last time we got lost is when we decided to visit my moms niece late last year. it was too far and we kept on driving and turning. we did ask a lot of people too which helped us a bit more compare to the maps we had.
It's good to ask directions. I just can't afford a GPS.
@MGjhaud (20672)
@just4him or you can download maps application
@MGjhaud I usually print up a map if I'm going someplace I've never been.
It is easy to get lost if you are not doing your usual drive. I tend to daydream a bit and I pass exits.
I don't know what I was thinking, but I wasn't daydreaming. I really thought I was going the right way until I realized I was still on 172 instead of 41. It took a half hour longer to get to my sisters than it should have.
If I didn't have a GPS I would probably be lost all the time. My sense of direction is nonexistent/
So is mine. I was glad someone was able to get me on the right track.
Glad you were finally able to find it and, that you didn't forget anything.
Yes, that in itself was amazing. I even remembered to bring home the box of pictures my sister divvied up between us from Mom and Dad's albums.
@Lucky15 (33698)
if i am new to a place, i do :(
It's good to get directions.
@sueznewz2 (10139)
• Alicante, Spain
Thats a great family photo...you all looks as though you are all having fun...., and yougetyour hard drive sorted...
Thanks. My sister-in-law is going to ask her father if he can pull the docs from it. It will be great if he can.
I remember you saying before about your propensity to get lost. Glad you got there in time to enjoy the meal.
I was the first to arrive and that with taking a wrong turn.
I don't have a GPS and I'm always afraid of getting lost. At least you made it to your sisters house and had a good day
Yes I did. Stopping to ask directions was a big help.
@JESSY3236 (7295)
My cousin actually called my great-aunt to ask her she lives even though he has been coming to her house for many years. I got me and Chris lost too going to her house.
I'm sorry you got lost. I hope you had a good Easter at your Great Aunt's house.
Beautiful picture, it's nice to spend the holidays with the family. I usually do not get lost easy, my husband all the time, he is lucky that I am with him most of the time.
Thank you. Yes, he is lucky to have you with him so he doesn't get lost.
well, they were moments we got lost but good for the driver who kept asking questions twice along the way.
I'm glad the driver asked directions.