Considering fitting a laminate floor in my spare bedroom

@Asylum (48283)
Manchester, England
The house that I have contains two bedrooms, one decent size and one rather small. Many years ago I decided to use the small bedroom as an office, so it is filled with computer desk, filing cabinet and numerous other items. A few years ago I had a new carpet fitted throughout the living room and staircase, but never bothered with the office due to the amount of stuff in there. It would be a mammoth job trying to clear the room. Now it is about time that I did something about the old carpeting. Not having a clue how to fit laminate flooring, I watched a few online videos on the subject. It does look simple enough for even an old fool like me to do, so I am now off to B&Q to look around and probably ask for further advice. It still remains to be seen whether I end up buying all the required materials, or resort to finding a tradesman to do the job for me.
@Morleyhunt (19539)
I have laid aw prefinished,parquet, hardwood floor on three separate occasions. My husband had laid a laminate floor in our family room at our last home. Neither was that difficult.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
That does not mean that it is easy enough for me, but does sound promising.
Asylum Perhaps she is offering her and her husband's services. @Morleyhunt what do you say, fly over to England and lay down some laminate?
I have no patience for things like that and prefer hiring someone.
@nanette64 (17079)
• Fairfield, Texas
My kitchen and laundry room had linoleum on it and I decided to lay down sticky floor tiles @Asylum . It was quick and easy to do. I guess it's gonna depend on what's underneath the carpeting on how you'll need to proceed.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
All that is required under the carpets would be underlay.
@nanette64 (17079)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Asylum that wouldn't be too bad then.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@nanette64 That is what I am hoping.
One of my friend has putted laminate floor in his bedroom. He has done the job himself with the help of a friend. He had back ache for about one week, but the result is great.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
At my age aching is expected anyway, there is no reason for me to worry about that. In fact, I could do it over a few days if necessary.
@Asylum I think that this is a good idea, my friend wanted to finish the floor the same day.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck That would be natural and I would have been the same while I was working. Of course now that I have retired it would not be urgent.
It is clearing out all that is in the room that would be the difficult part. I would hire help, but that's just me.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
The only difficult item to move would be the desk itself, which is very large and heavy wood.
@Asylum It took me several years to finally become convinced that I should not be lifting and carrying heavy objects anymore. Sad, but part of life.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@ElizabethWallace I cannot claim to have been very fond of heavy lifting 50 years ago.
@Missmwngi (9584)
• Nairobi, Kenya
Time for some change there,hope you succeed doing so
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
After my visit to B&Q today I have a better understanding of what is required, so I am likely to go ahead with the idea.
@Missmwngi (9584)
• Nairobi, Kenya
@Asylum Thats great
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@Missmwngi I was seriously impressed with the assistant who advised me because he was so happy to help in any way. It was just like asking a personal friend for a little advice.
It may cost you a bit more but experts can do a perfect job for you.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
I do realise that, but if it is not too difficult a job it may be worth attempting myself.
@Asylum You can buy all the stuff and just pay for labour. To fix those corners could be quite tiring for you. And if the stuff is not fixed properly and not gummed down then it may give you trouble later.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@allknowing Apparent laminate flooring should not be stuck down in any way, so that should not present any issues.
@rosekiss (30287)
• Eugene, Oregon
When I bought my houes, there was laminate flooring in the living room, and my son thought it would be a good idea to take the old carpeting out, and put down laminate flooring in the other rooms, with the exception of the bathrooms and kitchen. I had to find out which laminate flooring was put down, so I could match it. To make a long story short, my son worked really long and hard putting down the laminate flooring in the hallway and the three bedrooms. It is much easier to take care of, expecially since I have dogs. I really like the laminate flooring, and glad that my son took the time to lay it for me.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
The ease of maintenance is one of attractions for me.
@rosekiss (30287)
• Eugene, Oregon
@Asylum Yes it is, but you do have to make sure, you don't get water on it, and not clean it up right away, as it will raise it up on the corners. I have had that happen to mine, but only in a few places I am happy with the floor otherwise.
I changed my first floor carpet because of my dog. It is easier to clean. It helped me when Iwas in chemo and had to have everything spotless.
It could come out cheaper if you do end up throwing the towel in. I mean, if you were to purchase all necessities but then decide it's too big a task for one to do alone, perhaps they'd cut you a break and only charge labor since you'd have provided the materials.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
No, it would certainly be dearer that way because tradesmen will have all the equipment and also buy materials at a lower price.
@Asylum I imagine the don't spread the savings on to you. I can't say for sure as i"ve never had anything like that personally done. Over here I belive they are more apt to upcharge you.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@ScribbledAdNauseum No, those savings on materials are just extra profits for the workman.
Laying down flooring always looks so easy on tv but don't know how easy it is to do in "real" life. I have all hardwood floors in my house and wouldn't go back to wall to wall carpeting ever again. Good luck with your new flooring
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Very true, all DIY jobs are made to look very easy on television, but that is due to experienced professionals doing the job.
• Eugene, Oregon
It sounds like one of those things that would be cheaper to do on your own, but could get complicated. Having it done could go a lot faster.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Having it done for me would be much quicker, but may be an unnecessary approach.
@pgntwo (21550)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Good luck with the flooring! Ours was fitted some 15 years ago, and can be a bit creaky to walk on now and then. Plus you need to keep slippers handy, the tootsies can feel cold on a laminate surface at 2 in the morning as you totter to the loo...!
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
I would not feel the cold at that time of day because I would still be half asleep.
Do it yourself or hire someone but get high quality laminate..the cheap stuff makes weird noises when you walk on it.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Some of the high quality material can be quite expensive.
@Asylum You get what you pay for, go somewhere in the middle.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@AbbyGreenhill That is definitely a good idea.
@Platespinner (16532)
My husband's response would be "how hard can it be?"...of course he intends to tackle laying hardwood throughout our house over the next couple of years. Hardwood harvested from our own back yard, milled on a portable sawmill, seasoned under our shed... He's hardcore when it comes to DIY projects.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Is there any chance that he may be in England for a days soon? Laying a hardwood floor is certainly something that I would never even consider doing myself.
@Asylum Unfortunately not...unless of course you want to purchase us airline tickets (you'd have to buy two 'cause he does NOT get to travel anywhere interesting without me!!)
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@Platespinner You cannot really classify England as interesting.
@Asylum My father put down a laminate floor in his last house on his own. He was in his 70's when he did it. I've also done the laminate floor install. It can take some time BUT it is far more durable than carpeting. they are great looking and easier to maintain than most other forms of flooring.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
It is definitely something that I fancy and will most likely go ahead with the plan.
@Asylum I like the 'floating aspect of the floor as it does not require as much adjustment. It also is more insulating than some of the better carpets.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@Berniezeitler At least I now know more about it due to talking to an assistant at B&Q. I would have bought the materials today, but apparently I can get 10% off on Wednesdays due to being over 60, so I will return this Wednesday.
@kaka135 (13992)
I have totally no idea how to fit the laminate flooring, but since you said it looks simple, perhaps it's good to give it a try, if you don't need to buy many tools for doing so. Lately, I have always wanted to learn how to DIY, as it sounds fun, moreover it can really save me lots of money. Of course, if it's more expensive to buy the required tools, especially if you don't need those tools anymore, then perhaps getting someone to do it for you will be easier. (I don't think you need to fix the laminate flooring the next time very soon, right?) Hope you'll get to figure this out soon!
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
One of the staff at B&Q supplied all the information that I could possibly require, so it looks as though I shall be going ahead with the project after all.
They aren't really very hard to install, but fitting the seams together, if needed, so they don't show can be tricky...you have to make sure they are fitted just so or it can look rather slipshod. I haven't done one for a few years, but I am at the point in my life where I am likely to hire stuff out to be done that I used to do myself.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
I have never done anything of this nature before, but at least I have all the time that I need to give it a try.
@millie02 (6908)
We got rid of nearly all our carpets and replaced them with laminate flooring. It is much better and lasts much longer than carpets, also it is easy to clean and care for. We fitted ours ourselves and we found it easy enough but you will need a bit of DIY knowledge and the right tools.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
There cannot be a lot of tolls required for such a job.
• Portland, Connecticut
I have children who are good at these sorts of things thank goodness since I have no talent at this sort of thing and neither does hubby. I hope you find what you like.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
It is still in dispute what approach I take.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Asylum I only like really high quality laminate otherwise it looks cheap and flimsy in my opinion. The good stuff does look a lot like real wood.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr The high quality stuff can be quite expensive.
@gudheart (12758)
My dad recently did our two bathrooms. It was a long stressful job but he wanted to do it! He is now doing the wall tiling.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
Did you have to mention that it was a stressful job?
@gudheart (12758)
@Asylum LOL it is so you know what you are in for!
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@gudheart It would be formidable enough for me even if it was easy.
We did a laminate floor and it was not fun at all. I wouldn't do it again, but we never had a problem with it for all the years it was down.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
That does not sound very encouraging young lady and does make me wonder about employing someone for the task.
@Asylum Well,it's not for me, that's for sure, but for a small room it surely wouldn't be a problem for someone agile with knees that can take some abuse....
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@Jeanniemaries There are still a hew minor points that may be an issue, so it is still under review at the moment.