It can get awfully cold in Athens in winter.

@xFiacre (10364)
Ireland
My thoughts tonight are of Greece. Nothing to do with refugees or closed borders: I had bother enough in the 70s getting across borders in the Balkans as an itinerant youth. No, my thoughts are of wintering in Athens, and Athens can be a cold miserable place in winter. I'm thinking of the doss house I stayed in when I was ill, a real flea pit near Syntagma Square where some Italians down the hall played Leonard Cohen in the early morning and a Jazz club across the street blasted out mellow medicine from late at night till dawn. I'm also thinking of pastries that I thought we're filled with apple  (they looked just like apple turnovers) but when I bit into them I discovered that they were filled with spinach. I'm thinking of the "shower" in the aforementioned doss house - an alcove that opened along the corridor on the top floor where a hose had been attached to a tap set low in the wall. Cold water only, no door or curtain, nowhere to hang your clothes, just an alcove and a hose pipe, but hey, it was the 70s, it was Athens and I was having a ball.
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
And wet - but there is always a ray of sunshine somewhere in Athens even if only found in a person's sense of appreciation of the way the Greeks do almost everything. Down to earth - prosgeio_ménos - I believe there is an old movie from the 1947 with that title - not sure if its Greek though
@xFiacre (10364)
@inlemay Dreadfully wet, but where else would anyone want to be on a cold, wet day?
@Inlemay (17323)
• South Africa
@xFiacre exactly - tomorrow if Friday and my Memory Flight back to Greece - Kalispera
@besweet (7340)
• Greece
Bakery pies are a little different over here, most of them have salty crust. I remember when I went to England for studies, I was frustrated because I couldn't find spinach pies at the bakeries! I haven't lived in the '70s but it's much better now in Athens, you should re-visit and compare your experiences!
@suzzy3 (8400)
Sounds a bit chilly to me. I insist on hot water , clean soft towel and last but not least a locked door.