When All Else Fails, Start A Fire

@freak369 (4779)
The weather here in Pennsylvania is being particularly fickle which does me absolutely no good. My bones hurt, I'm either freezing cold or sweating up a storm and my stumps are throbbing. I know that if nothing else, getting a fire started in the back yard will help me with my tinder making skills, let me blow off some steam by chopping logs into long, thin pieces and to weed through the cord of wood that's been stacked up since last year. For whatever reason, these types of fires are calming for me. I could sit out in the yard for hours tending to the fire and looking for the 'perfect' piece of wood to throw on top or wedge in along the side. I bought myself a couple of new axes (one was supposed to go with me next month) and had to laugh when my neighbor Hank brought over some food to "cook" to test out some of the equipment I plan on taking with me. Hank made a comment about the movie The Amityville Horror and how the lead male character was always cold. I guess you had to be there to get the joke. I am spending more time outside at night regardless of the temperature but I have to use a cane or have someone with me because of the uneven ground, my still-sore knee and the new prosthetic legs. The next project is to buy and build a yurt in the back section of the yard. Hank and a few other neighbors are totally in love with the idea of building a yurt as well as a huge deck to support it. Do you like to camp, hike or travel out of the city? What do you turn to when you need to de-stress? If you had an RV for a month, where would you go? Image: Me
I got more than enough camping when I was in the Army. But I do like to hike.
@freak369 (4779)
One of the preppers said "Hiking is just ambitious camping" - nearly lost my oatmeal the way he said it in a completely emotionless voice.
@DWDavis (10811)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
You would think 4 years in the Infantry and 16 years as a Scout leader would have filled my camping card, but I still love to go, especially now with the travel trailer. It has all the comforts of home.
@DWDavis - If I had one of those I would start going again.
@DWDavis (10811)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
If I had a month to go camping in my RV I would head down to the river where I just was and spend a week, then another week down on the waterway, my third week down at the state park at Carolina Beach, and my last week at a campground near Sunset Beach close to the South Carolina line.
@freak369 (4779)
My trek from South Carolina to Maine should prove to be extremely interesting, wish I could do it in an RV though LOL!
@DWDavis (10811)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@freak369 What route are you planning to take? If you have the time. going along up the coast on Hwy 17 and 13 to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is a nice way to see eastern NC and the eastern shore of Maryland. Here is a website for a company that rents RV's. You might take a look and see if they have something that would suit your needs.
Cruise America: offering the best value RV Rentals in the USA and Canada.
That would be some epic camping, for sure.
My husband and I do enjoy talking our pup Molly along for the ride when we travel to a warmer state. I know Molly would love to travel for a month with us in an RV and we could go to places in the USA that promised warm! We tried Florida for a month, but had to return to Illinois 4 days later due to a crisis with my 95-year-old dad. I do not like being Power of Attorney for all things Dad, but somehow I got stuck with that job despite the fact that I have a brother and a sister. The middle kid often kids the raw end of the deal. Hope that fire brings you calm and eases some of your pain.
@freak369 (4779)
I am in the process of trying to get a service dog for my hike (and after the hike too). I have several dogs as pets but they are quirky and protective and something tells me they wouldn't fair well on a 2K mile hike LOL
I turn to the beach when I need to de-stress but you know this already. =)
Not to make light of your situation but I am curious: How on earth do you chop wood with stumps ?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I like sitting and watching a fire in my wood stove in Montana. Here in CA, I sand wood.