My electrocuted cat

@ramapo17 (18708)
Melbourne, Florida
March 29, 2016 3:42pm CST
Many years ago my husband and I bought a house and the previous owner was trying to convert a garage into a family room. When we moved in we never got the tour of what the guy was trying to do but we found out very quickly what he did not do. There were wires coming out of the walls and my daughter was home from school that day. She was about 12 years old. I was going to start painting the walls and my cat bit into the wire and being a Maine Coon, her hair was very long and stood straight out. I knew enough not to touch her and I told my daughter to call the vet as I ran down to the basement to shut off all the circuit breakers. I did not know which one was for that room so I thought it best to shut them all off. We took her to the vet and she spent a couple of days there and seemed pretty good. After getting her home we put her on the waterbed and she kept doing crazy motions. She kept kneading the bed and rocking back and forth for the longest time. The vet said she would be like that for awhile. She lived to be 18 and never got over doing the waterbed dance, as we named it.
8 people like this
8 responses
• United States
29 Mar 16
The poor thing. She lived a good long life. One of my clients has a kitten that chews on the wires of her extension cords. We worry that she will soon chew through one of them and get quite a shock. I have told her to get a spray bottle to give her a squirt every time she tries to chew them. But, when she is sleeping and unaware that the kitten is chewing on the cords it will be a problem. I can only hope that she doesn't start a fire as a result of it.
3 people like this
@ramapo17 (18708)
• Melbourne, Florida
29 Mar 16
I would close off the room so she couldn't get in there if no one can watch her.
2 people like this
• United States
29 Mar 16
@ramapo17 every room has something plugged into an electrical outlet. She does seem more curious about the cords to her cell phone and the extension cord that it is plugged into.
2 people like this
@ramapo17 (18708)
• Melbourne, Florida
29 Mar 16
@ElusiveButterfly Maybe she could unplug the ones the cat can get to during the night. I wouldn't sleep all night if I thought she could get to them. I don't remember what we did, it was so long ago.
2 people like this
@Corbin5 (78823)
• United States
29 Mar 16
Oh your poor kitty cat! Glad she lived a long life and just had to deal with the waterbed dance symptom.
3 people like this
@ramapo17 (18708)
• Melbourne, Florida
29 Mar 16
We were so surprised she lived at all and then to last that long was amazing. She was a great cat and had 2 litters too. We kept one of her babies that had a long life too.
1 person likes this
@TRBRocks420 (60847)
• Banks, Oregon
29 Mar 16
Oh my God that would be scary. Glad to hear she recovered and, lived a long life.
2 people like this
@ramapo17 (18708)
• Melbourne, Florida
29 Mar 16
My daughter was so happy as that was her cat. She named her Astro after the baseball team, her favorite.
2 people like this
• Phoenix, Arizona
29 Mar 16
Poor kitty, but if she lived to be 18 she must have been healthy other than some nerve damage that caused her to do the"water bed dance"
2 people like this
@ramapo17 (18708)
• Melbourne, Florida
29 Mar 16
It was really funny. in a way, to see her doing that dance every time she was on the bed.
1 person likes this
@slund2041 (3495)
• United States
1 Apr 16
I feel so bad for your cat. I hate she passed away.
1 person likes this
@ramapo17 (18708)
• Melbourne, Florida
15 Apr 16
She did live a few years after that whole ordeal.
@josie_ (4470)
• Philippines
30 Mar 16
I love cats. It must have been a traumatizing experience for her. Perhaps it was out of curiosity that she bit into the live wire but it also was a forewarning that prevented any more serious mishap happening with other members of your family.
1 person likes this
@ramapo17 (18708)
• Melbourne, Florida
15 Apr 16
@Josie I agree with you 100%. At least it wasn't either one of my kids.
1 person likes this
@jstory07 (57084)
• Roseburg, Oregon
29 Mar 16
I am glad your cat lived through that
1 person likes this
@ramapo17 (18708)
• Melbourne, Florida
30 Mar 16
I know. I always have some issues with my pets.
@DianneN (57300)
• United States
29 Mar 16
Thank goodness she lived and lived a long life. So what if she did the waterbed dance! It was probably good exercise. Lol!
1 person likes this
@ramapo17 (18708)
• Melbourne, Florida
30 Mar 16
It was so much fun watching her do it and she looked like she really enjoyed doing it.