My friends are growing up all around me

Do you get this feeling? Maybe this goes with being in that "twenty something" phase where I am an adult but still dont have my life quite figured out. I have a few friends who are experiencing these big adult life changes this year and maybe I am feeling left out. My one best friend is getting married, my good friend is having her first baby, and another pretty good friend is trying to buy a house. Me? Oh, just working. And reading some books. And having a few beers on the weekend. Not sure why I feel self conscious about myself. I dont want a child (yet! In another ten years sure) and I live on my own (crappy apartment, not a house - I wish) have a decent job and am graduating college in May. Why do I feel like Im getting left behind anyway? Is this a normal twenty something "phase" where I feel like my friends are growing up without me?!
My daughter felt the same way when she was in her twenties. Her friends and classmates were getting married, had children, a dog, house with that white picket fence, and she was single. She wrapped herself up in getting an education and tried not to think about what she did not have. Now in her late 30's her biological clock is booming. She lives with her sister who has an 11 month old daughter. My oldest daughter enjoys watching her niece and helping her sister with her as well. Still, she wants one of her own. Unfortunately she may never be able to have children of her own. The medication she takes for her rheumatoid arthritis would cause severe birth defects, if she were to even carry a child to full term.
Oh I am sorry to hear that about your daughter. That must be very difficult. Has adoption ever crossed her mind at all? I personally cannot imagine growing old without children. It just seems like the natural order of things but I know a lot of people who dont have them.
@maezee She will consider it if the time ever comes that she can do it. I know she would be wonderful as mother. She is a very nurturing, loving, and caring human being.
@ElusiveButterfly it seems so unfair that people who are totally unfit to be parents are able to have kids (too many kids often the time!!) But then there are people like your daughter who would be amazing and cannot. Something is wrong with that
it sounds very normal to me s o youjust go on like you are and you will get to all those things in your own time we all are a bit different what is good for you right now maynt be for somene elses just be yourself
True. Thanks. I guess we all move at our own speeds right?
@rina110383 (24224)
I feel the same way. I'm now 32 and almost all of my friends are married and with children.
Ok. Good to know Im not alone. How do you get over this conundrum or way of thinking?
@rina110383 (24224)
@maezee Like you, I also live on my own. Just read books on days when I'm not working or do chores. I don't use social media accounts. It helps because I don't need to see updates of their life. I don't attend weddings.
@salonga (28074)
Well I think it is a normal feeling. But don't worry it will soon pass as you concentrate on your life and count your blessings.
Maybe it is a blessing that I am not forced to be an adult at this point?
I do think we have different stages to be somebody. As you graduated on May, life changes for you again.
True. I guess we all experience differenr changes...