Dog’s Cough: Is It Possible?

morning sickness
I never thought that dogs can cough like humans. Due to change of weather in my city, local people are also getting sick such as colds, fever, running nose and the like. This morning, I woke up with a different sound coming from one of my dog. His name is Monday and coughing hoarsely early in the morning. It was really strange and I felt bad for him. I am not sure, how to deal with it. Thus I managed to give water to drink and I let him rest in the living room for a while. After doing some errands for today, I took the time to check him up. With a surprise, my kitten is at Monday’s side. So I took a snapshot of the two. It was so sweet both of them get along so well. Rose, the kitten feels bad for Monday and stayed with him for the rest of the day. Hopefully, my dog will be fine. Photo Credit: Shavkat
• Lakewood, Colorado
It is called Kennel Cough and needs medicine as far as I know my friend. It is serious..my dog I had a long time ago had it..had to get meds for him from pet doc.
I guess he need an animal cough syrup. I mean the proper medication for his kennel cough.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@Shavkat Yes I think so Shavkat..I hope he gets better very soon.
@nanette64 (13015)
• Fairfield, Texas
Dogs can get bronchitis, pneumonia and lung infections just like humans @Shavkat and @TiarasOceanView is correct, it can be deadly. You can blend cinnamon and honey to the consistency of chocolate frosting. Scoop 2 of your fingers into the mix and place it in the dogs mouth (he will like the taste). Do that 3 times a day. You have to be careful too that he doesn't make the cat sick as well. You may need to take him to the veterinarian.
Okay thank you for the help. I will ask an advice from vet med.
what a cute picture so shes taking care of him hope he will be fine
Monday is fine, the dog. Mousy Rose took good care of him.
@Shavkat thats so great what a cute picture
@Marcyaz (36126)
That is a really sweet picture of your dog and cat and the cat is comforting your dog. Your dog could have kennel cough which needs to be checked out by a vet who can give you medication for it to go away.
@Marcyaz They are so cute in the picture. I think he is getting better. I had tried to administer more fluid in his system. Thanks for the advice.
@Marcyaz (36126)
@Shavkat Glad to hear he is getting better but until you know if it is kennel cough or not do not let him around other animals. Your Welcome my dear.
I think it is very possible. As I had seen my cat sneezed and coughed. And cats and dogs shall be similar and therefore it is common for a dog to cough. That's good your cat and dog can get on well with each other
@youless I got curious about my dog's condition. They are like humans too. I never thought they will have such illness.
@Shavkat Perhaps your dog has some hair inside and wants to throw it out by coughing.
Yes dogs cough too but when they do it could be a sign of a heart worm. So it's better to have them checked at the vet as it could be deadly.
@toniganzon I hope it is not. I am not aware of that heart worm. I hope doc @Yar_Joey could educate me about it. Thanks for sharing an additional information.
@Shavkat heart worm is a dog disease that comes from mosquito. The worms eggs can be transferred through a mosquito bite. It attacks the heart of the dog and it's very difficult because it doesn't show much of a symptom except the coughing. Hope it isn't the case for your dog. I always gave my dogs heartgard for protection from heart worms.
@sallypup (20549)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That is a sweet photo. Something to keep to look at when you feel sad. Can you get your pooch to a doctor if he continues to feel ill?
The dog is fine now. If it happens next time, I will bring to the vet. Thanks for the concern,
A dog coughing can be a very serious issue. I would call a vet to have him checked and in the meantime, feed him some chicken broth with a little bit of broken up bread pieces in it.
@Juliaacv I had observed that he eats well. It is like a normal coughing episodes. If he still on the same condition until tomorrow, I will let him consult vet med.
@DaintyD (1106)
I don't want to worry you, as its probily nothing. But God can get kennel cough and this can be fatal. You schould get him checked out and keep a close eye on him. That said it could be something simple like soon food stuck in this throat. I hope he's feeling better soon
@DaintyD I had checked his airways and nothing seem to be clogged. Thanks for the thought.
Awesome picture of your dog and, cat also hope your dog feels better soon. I think they can get colds just like us.
@TRBRocks420 I agree with you. They get sick like us. It was really sweet of these pets in this picture.
@millie02 (5700)
I hope you dog feels better soon. Dogs cough does sound bad and you feel sorry for them. There are probably some websites that would advise you how to look after a dog with a cough.
@millie02 Thank you for the advice my friend. I will try to search some possible medications for him.
@avi256 (4030)
• Pune, India
Its amazing to see cat and dog together in that pic. Usually dogs are attacking on cats. This is amazing.