Personality Habits: The Prospective Addictive Personality

Yesterday I wrote “Demonstrating Personality?” and opened up a discussion on the existence of the ‘Addictive Personality’. In the discussion it was clear that some level of ‘predisposition’ was present but the question continued to be nature VS Nurture. (Is it Genetic or environmental?) Research indicates that it is likely BOTH. The research with respect to ‘genetic predisposition’ for addiction showed that it is a combination of genetic markers as opposed to a single gene. Much like other diseases, the disease has a higher likelihood of presenting when the person has certain traits determined by genes. It may be heightened by a set of traits, of which the more that are present the higher the likelihood of the disease. For addiction Scientists point to ‘clusters’ of genetic code on multiple chromosomes. The article below explains it in more detail, however the base point is that genetic traits are determined by more than one gene in many cases. The genetic link has been studied with twin studies and shown that identical twins have shown the validity of addiction being genetically predisposed. The key is that being predisposed does not mean the person will act upon it. Environment can affect the ‘activation’ of the predisposition. There is a study that shows the effect of a gene that decreases and enzyme called ALDH2 which is related to alcohol breakdown. The deficiency causes the person to become sick when consuming Alcohol. It essentially is a natural deterrent to Alcoholism! The environmental factors that can ‘trigger’ addiction are very broad and are often specific to the individual. I will discuss the environmental aspect of an Addictive Personality in a separate post.
As Presented By: Reid, Takashi, Sheeva and Michael A man with deep set eyes and a tired, drawn face wanders aisle to aisle, seemingly lost amongst the labyrinth of supermarket shelves. His bloodsho…
@Marcyaz (35551)
I really don't think addiction is genetic but that is just my opinion.
• Walnut Creek, California
There's a lot of research in this area. There may be "G" factors--factors that predispose one to addiction in general, and also specific predictors of predisposition to addiction of one kind or another.
I think addictive is leaned and not genetics.
@TheSojourner (17177)
When I wrote about looking at life from a more positive outlook, there were some comments which indicated a belief that it, too, was genetic, based on personality codes. I cannot buy that introverts vs. extraverts (or any other personality factor) are more or less likely to choose to look at life positively, simply based on personality, or better at getting through cancer diagnoses, etc., etc. In fact, often times, those who are more outgoing, use that personality trait to mask what's going on re: depression, etc. The operative word in your piece is "likely..." That may be a factor, I will give it that. But there is always choice. I wonder which came first...the chicken or the egg?
@CoralLevang It is interesting the idea of which came first! I may have to dig into that deeper! I did not want to imply that it was the only factor but as you say a factor that is affected by environment. It definitely does not mean the person is going to fall to addiction only that they are more susceptible and it takes several factors into account rather than just one. I agree it is only a factor and not the main one at that. Thank You for your comments.