Oh Dear! What to Do?

Our suburban Chicago winters have been tough on that fir tree in one of my gardens in the front yard. Every spring I cut off the dead parts of that tree hoping that removing the dead stuff will make the tree look better. After cutting away the dead parts for a few years now, I have ended up with a tree that has a gaping hole smack dab in the center for all passersby's to see. I can do the following: 1. Cut the poor little fellow down and plant a new one. 2. Place a decorative lawn ornament inside the hole in the tree so that others will think I removed branches for the purpose of housing a decorative lawn ornament. (However, in winter the lawn ornament would have to be stored in the basement, and I would be left once again with a tree with a hole in it.) 3. Clip away the branches that remain below the fullest part of the tree and create a tree that looks like one big mushroom with a giant stem. Gardening is hard!
@garymarsh6 (14430)
There are some beautiful ornaments that could fill that little gap and make it look beautiful. You could always give topiary a go and trim the tree into a peacock or an elephant?
@gudheart (12741)
Wow that is stunning! I would love to have them in my garden.
@garymarsh6 Would love an elephant in my garden! Due to lack of skill maybe I had better go for the mushroom look.
He's not ready to be cut down. I think you should just leave it. Sooner or later it should grow branches again, or at least I hope so.
@just4him Maybe he will grow branches again. I could try putting a cute garden statue in the space that is there.
@Corbin5 You could. I'm sure it will look nice. You could also put a bird bath there. They would appreciate it.
@UncleJoe (10872)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
It can't grow bottom branches unless the top is cut back @just4him
We have a big tree that now looks kind of like two. We need to get it trimmed a lot.
@Susan2015 We have those trees that look like two trees also. Not sure what to do with our little guy with the hole in it.
@Lucky15 (33698)
looking at the photo, i would love to see the tree, just clip away few branches D
@Lucky15 I suppose if we evened him out a bit we could save the poor little guy. Will give your suggestion a try!
• Calgary, Alberta
Dying trees and old branches are great medium for growing delicious shitake mushrooms.
• Calgary, Alberta
@Corbin5 I believe your area have the right temperature to grow shitake. Those mushrooms are anti-cancer and delicious. You know most nutritious veggies tasted bad. Mushrooms on the other hand is a different story.
• Calgary, Alberta
• Calgary, Alberta
I agree with heather a pretty angel maybe
@Hatley I like the angel idea too Patsie! Would look so sweet in that space!
@Corbin5 yes I can really picture that in that space
@slund2041 (3375)
I do not think you should cut him down. Perhaps, you could trim up the lower branches a bit though.
@slund2041 Yes! We will trim could trim the lower branches and stand back and see how it looks.
@slund2041 (3375)
@Corbin5 I think that is what you should do, instead of cutting the tree down. Beautiful tree.
Oh I wouldnt want to cut the poor tree down..maybe you could put another plant in the hole there lolz
@TiarasOceanView A flowering bush would be a good choice since I could trim the bush when it gets too large. Thanks for that suggestion!
@Corbin5 Welcome friend
• Walnut Creek, California
The lawn ornament came to mind as I read your first paragraph. Maybe a ceramic owl or bunny (or your favorite animal), peering out from its home.
@TheHorse I do think the lawn ornament is a good idea since it would have its own little alcove to sit in.
• Walnut Creek, California
@Corbin5 I've seen some funny/cute ones, like smiling gophers coming out of the ground for a look.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
I think number 3 would be your best option.
@fishtiger58 I like number 3 because if the trimming makes the poor tree look rather silly, then cutting it down would be the solution to that. Also, number 3 would not be costly.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@Corbin5 I have seen many pine trees with only the top with branches.
@CRK109 (14413)
I remember when we had a couple of small trees that looked like that. My father did everything he could to try and make it look better and in the end, it had to come down.
@CRK109 I think the chainsaw may need to come out and do the job! If I could just turn the tree around, all would be well since I would be the one staring at the hole and not the community.
@CRK109 (14413)
@Corbin5 LOL!!! Yes, if only everything was that easy! :)
I'm sad to say that we have two like that at the entrance way. Fortunately, the holes are facing in a direction that no one can see, unless they walk that way to my rock garden. Yep, I have two with holes at the gate to that garden. I'm afraid to go home and see what else is wrong!
@DianneN I know it is always hard to go home and find that things need repairing or replacing. Hope when you arrive home that all is fine and dandy with your home!
@Corbin5 Thanks so much. We had problems the last two out of two times. Lol!
The poor little guy looks like he needs to be put out of his misery. You'd have to research your local nurseries to find out if there are any hardy plants that would survive the weather and the salt that gets spread onto the roads and then tossed on the garden.
@Juliaacv This house was built in the 1980s and the gardens, five of them, were put in by the former owners. I bet that little tree has been there for many years.
@Corbin5 He's young for a tree, but sadly, I think that it sounds like he's in the wrong place-is that right?
If it's the holidays (Christmas) you could make a big wrapped present from a box and it'd serve like a decoration. And it looks like a Christmas tree with presents underneath.
@infatuatedbby I bet I could craft some Christmas presents to put under it. Wrap some white lights around it and I would be all set. Great idea!
@KuznVinny (774)
This is the trouble with evergreens. I'm sorry to say it. I'm a sentimental kind of guy. But I say, "Let it rest in peace." Chop it down. Plant something else. Otherwise, another of the same kind of plant might develop the same condition.
@KuznVinny My husband did remove the bottom branches and evened things out so it looks pretty good, but eventually a tough winter will be the end of that little tree.
I'd go for option 3 :-)
@missjessicadawn We did do #3 and it looks really cute. Glad we did not chop it down!
@crossbones27 (21255)
• Redlands, California
Make a happy face. It works every time.
@crossbones27 The happy face would bring a smile to anyone passing by!
@scheng1 (24742)
I think you need not worry about it. When the weather is better, and you have added some fertilizer to it, it will grow very well.
@scheng1 Will try the fertilizer idea of yours! Who know? It may fill in.
My house is flanked by two cedar trees that have had the lower limbs removed probably since the beginning. so I have these nice bare trunks clear up to ten feet high. I would consider the lawn ornament and look for something that tolerates winter. Around here concrete statues are often used. I can imagine either an angel or a fairy.
@GardenGerty I do have concrete planters and they are not damaged by winter weather so the concrete statue would probably be just fine too.
I would be inclined to dig him up and start again.
@jaboUK This house was built in the 1980s so that tree has had a pretty long life. Maybe the tree is done trying.