Do you play any musical instrument? Or do you want to learn how to play one?

By Dex
@Dextoi (2424)
“Come on, stick to the beat!” I think to myself referring to my band mates as I blast the drums midway through the song. It’s been almost a month since we’ve last practiced. We were supposed to play live on the 18th this month but our bass player has some business to attend to. Anyway, the first round of practice was good but I know we have to give out our best for an upcoming gig this April fool’s Day along with some bands in our city. I kept thinking to myself as I play the drums. Sometimes, I miss a beat or mess up some parts but as long as I keep on and holding on until the last note of the song, everything will be alright. “There goes another mistake!” I again told myself as I missed another beat. It’s hard to play straight for more than two hours behind the drums especially after work. Work is a bit exhausting yesterday as many students went in and out the library. But a smile would always work whenever I make mistake or miss a beat. “I think I am going to fast on this song… I got to relax a bit” I told myself because I think the song went a bit faster than the normal tempo. Being alone in my newly rented house, it’s hard not to think of what might happen because I did not turn on the lights outside. I usually turn on the lights outside the house for security purposes. Today, I will make sure that it’s turned off before I go to another band practice. This is one of the thoughts I have while we were practicing last night. “Woops, he forgot that part!” I thought as I recognized someone is playing the wrong notes over one section of the song. Mistakes can easily be detected but they would be more noticeable if you act out that you made a mistake. Let’s face it. Mistakes can happen even to the best motorcycle rider on MotoGP or the best three point shooter on a free throw in a basketball game. It’s a part of the game; it’s a part of our life. Mistakes are there for us to learn. Three words: Practice, practice, practice… These are the thoughts of a small guy behind the drums… ‘Music’ is one of my favorite wonders of the world. I can’t imagine the world without it. I play drums in a local band. A struggling band you can say. But I really love to play guitars. Do you play any musical instrument? Or do you want to learn how to play one?
@rina110383 (24070)
I used to play the piano when I was a kid. Now, I can only play "Happy Birthday" I forgot the rest. I would love to learn how to play drums and the violin. Drums, because I find it cool and I need to get out of my comfort zone. I'm the serious type who doesn't listen to music. Something that could blast my ear drums would be good. Violin, because of its elegance.
@Dextoi (2424)
That's great! I'm sitting in one of the classes on one professor here who teaches music. I want to learn how to read notes. Hahaha... I learned to play by ear. I guess violins are hard to play... I haven't tried one yet though. Playing drums is fun but it gets you exhausted after maybe an hour of playing. It's more than just a musical instrument... it's an exercise machine haha
Something is better nothing.
@rina110383 (24070)
@Dextoi If it's an exercise machine, then I could burn calories just by blasting the drums.
@rakski (21845)
I love music but music does not like me that much. I tried to learn guitar and voice lessons but unfortunately did not push through to the end. Maybe because I am quite old and all of them are young. Anyway, I asked my daughter to study voice lessons and and to learn an instrument too. What can you suggest that she should learn?
@Dextoi (2424)
I believe age is not a hindrance to learning music. There are others who learned how to play music even at their 40s or so. It depends on your interest. It depends on what your daughter wants to learn. But if I can decide for her, it would be "piano"!
@rakski (21845)
@Dextoi well, I give up on that dream of mine. I just sing my heart out in karaokes. But i would love my children to learn and love music. I am thinking of guitar and voice and violin for my daughter. We do not have any musical instrument yet so I am thinking of the less expensive ones for now. I also want my son to learn the drums so he have outlet for his energy (he is a hyperactive boy) but he is still 7 now.
@rakski (21845)
@Dextoi it is nice to talk to someone like you who knows your craft that I can learn from. thanks
No I don't but I always wanted to play the saxophone or guitar or piano. My 4 year old ways to learn the piano so I'll get my chance to learn with her.
@Dextoi (2424)
Now that you mentioned it, saxophone was one of the instruments that I was interested in to. But I haven't even touched one. I listened to some songs with a saxophone doing all the melody and stuff, it just sounds so relaxing. I love bluesy and jazzy songs as well... That's great when you want to learn together with your child. It creates a deeper bond between you two. I hope to see some samples when you two starts to play music! :)
@Dextoi right on. Yes, you're right. Let's see how long before she begins to learn and what instrument she wants to learn.
@Dextoi (2424)
@Cintronwriter Both of them, right? It would be cool if both of them would play different instruments. It could be a duo of piano and guitar or piano and violin.... Just an idea though
• Walnut Creek, California
I play a few. Missing a note or two (or a beat) is just a part of the game.
@Dextoi (2424)
That's great! Do you play in a band? Sometimes it's hard not to miss a note... I'm not like Mike Portnoy (when he was in Dream Theatre)
I do know how to play the guitar my friend. I learned with a little help many years ago. I no longer have a guitar but it is like riding a bike..one always remembers.
@Dextoi (2424)
True! I remember that post... What songs do you usually sing?
@Dextoi I sing More Than a Feeling by the band Boston. I sing House of the Rising Sun by Eric Burdon and the Animals. Just a few.
@Dextoi (2424)
@TiarasOceanView Are those your favorite songs, perhaps? I haven't heard them yet but if you can play those songs, I can say that you are a good guitar player and a singer...
@MGjhaud (20672)
i used to play flute. that was back then. anyway i love music. i thought its better if i could at least learn how to play or sing a song. i tried learning how to play the guitars, drums, piano/keyboard but its just not for me.
@Dextoi (2424)
At least you tried. Feel free to try again. If you are truly motivated, you can do it! But it's better if you concentrate one instrument at a time. Trust me, it's never to late to learn :)
@MGjhaud (20672)
@Dextoi ive got no instruments and i dont know how to read notes and stuff but yeah maybe in the future, we'll never know..
@Dextoi (2424)
@MGjhaud you'll never know... next time, you're on TV hehehe
@Porcospino (18396)
• Denmark
I played the keyboard in a band many years ago. I still have a keyboard, but I don't play much. I want to get started again when I get more time. I also have a guitar. I bought it because I wanted to learn to play the guitar, but I didn't start yet. My husband plays the guitar and he has promised to teach me to play in the future. I look forward to that.
@Dextoi (2424)
Hi there, Porcospino! It's a great feeling to know people in myLot who are also in to music. It's also a great feeling to be able to share the same hobbies aside from music. Guitar is the first instrument I learned how to play. My mom bought me an acoustic guitar when I was about 12 years old. I learned chords by looking at a chord chart. Starting how to play was hard for me. My fingers did not have that much calluses which made pressing the strings painful. It was a great experience... Anyway, how was your band?
@Porcospino (18396)
• Denmark
@Dextoi Did you ever take guitar lessons or did you learn everything on your own? I bought a guitar a long time ago, but I didn't learn to play yet. I had a great time with the band. We mostly played pop and rock. One of the people from the band was from Finland and he taught us some songs in his local language. It was hard for us to pronounce the words in Finnish, but it was fun. We also wrote our own songs in Danish and in English.
@Dextoi (2424)
@Porcospino My mom and dad knows how to play the guitar a little bit. So I asked them a few questions. That's great Porcospino, did you record your songs?
@brokenbee (8019)
I play the guitar. I also want to learn how to play piano and drums. I am a frustrated drummer. LOL
@Dextoi (2424)
Hi Arbie... that's cool... How and when did you start playing the guitar?
@brokenbee (8019)
@Dextoi I started when I was in high school. But I am not that good, I just learned it on my own.
@slund2041 (3375)
I used to play the piano when I was young, but have not touched it in years.
@Dextoi (2424)
I really wanted to play the piano as well but I don't have one, even the electronic one.
@straiyan (17)
I had a dream. The dream was to create an epic rock band. I wanted to learn guitar to get ready but never got the time to make it happen. So tell where did you learn to play drums?
@Dextoi (2424)
Hello there, Raian! It's good to have a dream. And to achieve that dream, you must work hard for it. I wonder what made you busy that you were not able to learn how to play the guitar... I learned how to play drums when I graduated high school. A friend taught me how to play it. He taught me all the basics so I can start of from there. After that, there's no stopping and I get to learn something new almost everyday from that time. I learned to play music by ear since I learned how to play the guitar because that's what I usually do. Same thing I did to drums after I learned the basics.