Periwinkles - it's time for them to show off.

Periwinkles also known as vinca rosea is a perennial plant although there are certain times in the year where they flower more. It propagates on its own filling the garden all over. This it does, this time of year. They come in beautiful shades. I do have some but sometimes they disappear. I am on the lookout for colours that have disappeared and add a few more. There is a dark purple too and a deep red. Buying seeds online is expensive and there is no guarantee they will germinate. I just had a bad experience. The only thing now left is to beg, borrow, steal Do you have any of those exotic shades in your garden?
I´, a profesional begger and stealer as cuttings go. I only buy good soil for my garden.
Nowadays that is the only way to add to your collection as buying seeds online atleast for me has been a very bad experience
@drannhh (15247)
I beg and steal cuttings too @marguicha but I grow them all indoors in water (with liquid nutrients of course)
@drannhh (15247)
Yes I grew some of the white ones with the red centers (Madagascar Periwinkle) from volunteer seeds and they are prolific with bloom. I do not like them next to food plants in the Aerogarden, though, because of the idea we have here about the roots being toxic. But then I read that in some parts of the world they eat the same plant medicinally with great benefit. At least they are pretty!
This plant has great medicinal value specially in treatment of cancer.
Tincture from Periwinkle for the treatment of childhood leukemia, Hodgkin?s disease, testicular cancer and cancerous tumors.
@drannhh (15247)
@allknowing Interesting link and yes, that is the exact one that I am growing. I read elsewhere that the flowers made into a tea improve memory, but I have not taken a chance on that.
@drannhh I also do not take any chances when I hear of recommendations unless it has been proven
I do have periwinkles but only of one color.
What colour do you have. Sometimes they produce different colours on their own. I have a light pink which was not there earlier.
@sishy7 (27594)
I saw some baby blue ones in my front yard last Spring... I should have taken a picture of them...
If you neglect them they just disappear!
@ida123 (6234)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I just know that this flower's name is periwinkles, we have plenty of this flowers but not in my garden, in our plaza but only plain white and white with red in the middle.
Now there are so many mutations
@Lucky15 (33687)
so this is prewinkle, we got a lot of this :D
What coloours do you have. I am hoping to get bac that deep red I had and want to add the purple.