He asked me how much I got paid and..

I volunteered on my off day today (back to work tomorrow - sad day) and my job came up as I mentioned the .49 cent raise we all got at work. One of the case manages, who I really like, casually asked me how much I made per hour. And I wouldnt tell him. I laughed and said something like "never you mind". Is this appropriate? I dont work with him or for the same company so Im not sure why I wouldnt tell him. I think part of me was concerned that as a case manager and LPN he would make less. But Im not sure. What would you do in the same situation?
@bounce58 (17524)
I don't think it's appropriate to ask anybody how much they make. Even if it's someone you don't work with, or run in the same circles as you. There are people out there who could be insecure, and would doubt themselves, or their worth if they hear how much others make.
Thanks! I think that was my concern - that maybe he would be insecure or something. Not like Im a millionaire by any means. Ha
@bounce58 (17524)
@maezee I should have added in my response up there -- that insecure person could also be me!
@Macarrosel (7536)
I wont tell him, for me it's a top secret. I was working in a bank before, and my co employees didn't know how much our salary of each of the employees to avoid envy and jealousy.
Right. That position is especially difficult if you work for the same position and everyone makes different money. I was told to keep my salary secret at my last job.
@simone10 (21646)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I think it all depends on what you are comfortable saying. I agree with others that to me, it isn't appropriate to ask someone what they make.
Yes. I think I made the right decision!
@simone10 (21646)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@maezee yes, I think you did make the right decision. If you want someone to know, you will tell them.
@artemeis (4069)
It is really a matter of personal decision here. If you're uncomfortable with the question you can always choose not to answer. It may not just be a question of your salary, it could be other matters like our age and so on.
Very true. Or how much do you weigh? Lol no thanks!
@artemeis (4069)
@maezee Hahaha.. if someone asked me that then I'll ask for the bathroom scale from him or her, lol!
• Westland, Michigan
I never tell how much I make or how much of a raise I got. Besides my wife, not even the family that is left knows.
@Blondie2222 (22881)
I never tell anyone how much i make at work or what i bring home in my paycheck as it's none of their business.