Lies

@sissy15 (5635)
I've never understood how it is people can lie so easily, like it doesn't even bother them. I have a difficult time telling lies. I've spent my whole life being taught that honesty is the best policy, sure I've lied, but usually only about little things, and when I do I'm racked with guilt. It's not easy for me, and it really shouldn't be easy. I do my best to treat people with respect, and to not put myself in a position where I have to lie. I have always prided myself on honesty. I'm not rude, if I don't like someone I do my best not to be civil with them, but I am not overly nice towards them. I don't feel the need to be blunt with them, now if they asked my opinion I would give it, but I'm not going to be all out nasty. I was taught to have manners. Here's the thing about honesty though, there are times when what you're saying is the truth to you the way you perceive it, but may not be the way others see it. You can swear up and down something happened one way only to find out it happened a completely different way. I have never understood why people lie about some things. Where does it get you? Even if it does keep you out of trouble, you have to live the rest of your life knowing you weren't honest. I myself would be lying if I said I've never lied, because I have, but I have never lied and not felt guilty about it. Sometimes some of those lies still get to me, even if the truth has come out. I am doing my best to teach my son not to lie. I've told him that I'm going to be more upset with him if he lies to me than if he tells the truth, and I do know when he's lying to me. I know a lot of people build careers on lying, politicians for example, but I don't want a career where I have to lie to get anywhere. I want my conscience clean. I think I'm mostly guilty of lies by omission, although I've told some too. I don't take pride in lying, and I know we lie for various reasons, like lies we tell in order not to hurt someone, but I think ultimately even those lies can hurt them more than being honest with them.
Lies really don't get a person anywhere if you think about it. You have to work pretty hard to lie. You have to remember what you said and sometimes even defend the lie. I really don't think lying pays in the long run. Telling the truth is so much easier and respectful.
@sissy15 (5635)
I completely agree, I hate lying, which is why I very rarely do it.
@sissy15 ....I think lying just once and you might as well do it all time. Having it come easy makes it happen more often.
@sissy15 (5635)
@celticeagle Not necessarily, just because it isn't difficult doesn't mean you will continue to do it all the time, it really depends on where your morals fall. I have lied, and it's not something I do very often at all. I really don't care to lie, I don't see the point in it. I'd rather have a guilt free conscience. Some people do spiral out of control with their lies to the point where they even start to believe their lies. I see people lie about the dumbest things, and I honestly don't know why they bother lying about it.
@cherriefic (4804)
I'm not a good lier either cause people can definitely tell if I am.
@sissy15 (5635)
People can't so much tell I'm lying, but it's difficult on me personally. The only reason why people believe me, is because I am so honest, but that only makes me feel more guilty.
@sissy15 Well, you don't have to. That's a very good quality.
@sissy15 (5635)
@cherriefic Thanks, I try my best to be honest.
• Westland, Michigan
I do not understand how people can lie. I figure if I lied, now I have to remember that lie if someone asks and then spin off another lie. That is too much work for me, lol.
@sissy15 (5635)
LOL me either, and I completely agree, lying is a lot of work, and I just don't have time for it. I take it back though, I do understand why parents lie to their kids, I lie to my 5 year old about small things to get him to eat things since he's a picky eater, but as a general rule I don't make it a habit. I usually end up telling him the truth after he eats it though, because 5 yr old's ask a lot of questions, and I just can't keep lying, and he remembers everything lol.
I do white lies so that I wouldn't other people's feelings.
@sissy15 (5635)
even white lies can come back to bite you from time to time.