Into the Groovy #15 - "Buena"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
In retrospect, I've never been so happy to give forty bucks to a ticket scalper than the cash I forked over to see a sold out Morphine show in Denver back in 1999. Because a few months later, Morphine bassist/vocalist Mark Sandman died onstage in Italy, of a heart attack, which effectively ended one of my favorite bands. Morphine (in addition to Sandman, saxophonist Dana Colley and either Jerome Deupree or Billy Conway on drums) were a Boston-based trio specializing in a raw blues/jazz-rock style. Thanks to heavy touring, the band was quickly gaining popularity when Sandman passed away. I maintain that their 2nd album, 1993's Cure for Pain, was the band's best, thanks to great tunes such as "Buena," which is part menacing bass line (two-string slide bass at that) and part roar. In fact, you may have, back then, heard Sandman's bass riff without knowing it: "Buena" was used in a Miller Genuine Draft television commercial back in the 90's.
Music by album ''Cure for Pain'' was the released by Morphine, as American alternative rock group formed by Mark Sandman and Dana Colley in Cambridge, Massac...
@crossbones27 (17404)
• Redlands, California
I never been to a big time concert. Just small bands no one has heard of. Morphine is one of those bands I would have liked to checked out. Thanks for reminding me of good old bands that people take for granted.
Big time concert's can be fun, but I much prefer the smaller shows in the more intimate venues. Those are always the best. In fact, that very Morphine show gives me a quick story to write about.
• Redlands, California
@teamfreak16 Lets hear it buddy
@FourWalls (12482)
I totally agree. (Go look at my concert reviews from the 14 shows I've been to this year...the only name you'll recognize is Gordon Lightfoot!). I think the way mainstream or commercial music has so deteriorated in quality to a test-marketed, analyzed, formula glob completely devoid of soul, spontaneity, and originality has proved that the only place to go to hear music that's still made for the sake of music and not for the sake of kowtowing to the industry ("you must make us money") is in the small clubs and venues. The last "big venue" (and it wasn't that big) that I was in was in 1989 to see REM. The last "major arena" act I was was U2 in 1987...and that was free (the only way I'd see U2 -- in fact, I wouldn't go see them for free now!), and I was more there for the opening acts (the BoDeans and Los Lobos).
Whoa! So yeah! You´ve seen the best Scott!
@TiarasOceanView - No, that wasn't very clear. I was supposed to see them again.
@teamfreak16 Oh I get it, I just wanted to clarify..well hell.
@TiarasOceanView - No, after reading it again, it wasn't clear at all. Sorry for the confusion.
@Ronrybs (7246)
• London, England
This all rings a bell, but I can't place any of it. Must have heard a track and the story on the radio, I guess
Must have been. They did seem to have a good European following, so it's possible.
@Ronrybs (7246)
• London, England
@teamfreak16 I do tend to tune out the DJ's chat and just listen to the music
@Ronrybs - That's probably the best way to go about it.
Not familiar with this band. They do have a jazzy type of sound and not grunge.
I loved these guys. Kind of a stripped-down jazzy bluesy rock thing.
Sorry,the video is not working here.Not sure if you are aware of it
Is it not available in your country? I get that every now and then.
I have not heard of this.But thank you and now will check out the video.I know that this will be awesome