The doves are back!

Pleasant Hill, California
The doves have a nest in the planter at my neighbor's house. One couple (not sure if it's the same one) has used this planter as a nesting site for several years. The planter hangs, making it hard for raccoons to reach, and its under the eaves, making it hard for red tailed hawks to see. As of today, there were two babies in there. They're large enough that they're almost ready for flying lessons. Last year, my balcony served as college campus for flight school. Two different juvenile doves spent about a week each on my balcony (at separate times), periodically flying away with an adult dove, and then returning to spend the night there. I read on the internet that it's the father who teaches the juveniles how to fly. I'm hoping the juveniles will make their way back to my balcony this Spring. It's actually kind of fun going out there to water the plants, trying not to scare a juvenile dove who doesn't know much about the world yet, including whether to be afraid of me or not. I'll attach a picture of one of this Spring's first babies, taken yesterday. He didn't try to fly away when the flash went off.
what a lovely picture Im fond of the doves as they are so peaceful I did not know that the father dove does the flight teaching each day here i learn some new things.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, I only learned that last year when the first juveline was hanging out on my balcony.
@TheHorse lol I sort of like the idea lol
what a gift to've the opportunity to feel a part'f such :) i'm hopin' that the winds we've had didn't cut short the lives'f those wee ones, though many shattered eggs've been found sadly. still, 'tis early here'n the doves'll no doubt begin anew if such occurred.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Doves are like flying bunnies from what I've seen. They're very peaceful, but very "romantic" too.
@TheHorse lol, the ones here're very romantic 'n often produce several broods throughout the season :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@crazyhorseladycx Yep, I think my friend's couple produced three or four.
The doves are cute, last year one laid an egg on the top of one of my bird feeders. I rescued the egg, put in a basket with straw and moved the basket on my balcony. I am glad that the dove came to take care of the egg and I saw the little baby moving the "first steps".
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad mom found it! They seem more trusting of humans than most birds.
@TheHorse You are right, when I go out to feed them they do not move, but they fly away if they see the crows and the magpies.
@Lucky15 (33386)
maybe the dove is used to the "paparazzis"
• Pleasant Hill, California
That might be it!
I've lost many hanging plants due to bird babies.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, do the nests squish the plants?
@TheHorse No, can't water the plants for fear of drowning the babies. Plus the birds make a mess of the plants.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@AbbyGreenhill Ah, I hadn't thought about the watering part. I suppose you could "drip irrigate" somehow--just put a few drops in at a time in the evening.
There are so many mourning doves around my place, I haven't a clue where they nest but it's been mating season for them for the past 3 weeks. I wish I could tell the difference tween adult and juvenile but it's hard cause I usually don't get a chance to get too close before they fly off.
• Pleasant Hill, California
For me, it's mostly a matter of size. Also, if they're on my balcony, the adults will usually fly off, while the juveniles will just walk around and watch me.
That's never happened here @TheHorse of course the fact that I have a dog and no open porch for them to walk on may have a lot to do with that. But, I do keep water bowls filled for their use, it gets so hot and dry in the spring and summer here that any birds we have will need me to provide water.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@rebelann Cool that you provide water for them.
we have a nest each year on the porch, on the brick wall, one of those mud and twig nests attached to a vertical wall, each fall once they are gone we knock it down. Haven't checked yet this year, dont know if they are back yet, but you will know when they are, they get all dive bomby protective lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
The ones here might dive bomb cats, but they're mellow with humans.
@TheHorse these never get that close to me, but I get bombed as well, lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Jessicalynnt Were you wearing your cat outfit?
I had a pair of doves return to a hanging basket on my balcony for several years. I think yours are the same pair too. They never seemed to be afraid of me. If I wasn't around, they came to the window to let me know they were there. Very cute.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Maybe, with gentle humans, they don't see us as potential predators.
@TheHorse I think animals can read our "auras" and determine who is friend or foe.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@ElizabethWallace I agree. They can also tell who is not a predator but still "unsafe."
@vandana7 (64775)
You are an extremely gentle soul! They make a nest on one of our air conditioners. Initially, dad used to throw their eggs and even young ones down. But now, he is kind of soft on them. He shoes them away and then switches on the air conditioner. We can't do without air conditioners, it is simply too hot out here.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad he's mellowed with age. Is there a god place to hang some plants for them? They seem to like that.
@vandana7 (64775)
@TheHorse ..Yeah...sort of. :)
You did manage to take that pretty picture. It is difficult as they keep a watch constantly.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It seems the juveniles just watch. If you move slowly and talk gently, they don't fly away.
How nice that they use your balcony as a launching pad. Great picture.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks! I hope they come by this year.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
I think doves are some of the coolest birds @TheHorse . I think I have every bird species known to man at my place and it's a pleasure to watch all of them wandering all over my yard.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I enjoy the doves. Ours are mourning doves, and aren't white. But they're still very pretty. And they exude gentleness.
My mother is a big fan of morning doves and likes when they hang around.
• Pleasant Hill, California
We have them here every Spring and Summer. I think they're around in Winter (not sure that they migrate), But they're most active in Spring and Summer.
We've a pair of doves that come here pretty much every year also, but I've never seen them teaching their young to fly-that must have been interesting to watch.
• Pleasant Hill, California
They (father and juvenile) fly from my balcony to the carport and back. Then dad leaves and juvenile remains.
That's a great thing. Thank you for additional information. I didn't know male dove teaches the young ones.
@Elizaby (3657)
• Pensacola, Florida
I have a friend who has doves that nest on her porch. I have also seen doves with their young today on the grond enjoying seed from the bird feeders that fell on the ground
• Pleasant Hill, California
Last year, the father (and sometimes mother) was still feeding the juvenile by mouth early. But by the time the juvenile left, he ate some of the seed I offered.
@AkoPinay (11810)
I hope I was a dove
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'd rather be a dove than a snail.
I've never seen anything like that. I wish they'd do that here at our place.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I really enjoy the doves. None on my balcony yet this Spring. I'll be a touch disappointed if they moved the flight school over the Winter.
That's pretty cool. I haven't noticed babies here yet, but I bet they are up in a tree close by. I see 2 or 3 Doves about everyday on our walks.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I wonder if mating season begins a week or two later up there.
Awe, I am glad that they have a home.
• Pleasant Hill, California
They're starting to fly now. But they were on my friend's next door neighbor's balcony today. I hope they make it over here. I enjoy hosting them.