Getting on with the neighbours.

@millie02 (6909)
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has just moved house because she did not get on with her neighbours. From what she was saying, I do not think the neighbours were really bad, it was just that she did not have much in common with them. She is a lot older than most of her neighbours and I think that this was why she did not get on with them. She said that they would all spend hours talking about their children and she could not join in the conversation because she does not have any children. Now she has managed to get a house exchange to an area where the people are more her own age.
That is a really odd thing to do. I believe that neighbors can be a valuable asset and friend but to move house just to get away from them? I suppose to each their own and as long as she is happy. I couldn't imagine doing that myself, however. Your terminology confuses me though, "house exchange" is she in some sort of assisted income situation?
@millie02 (6909)
House Exchange is when the housing association allow people who rent their homes to swop their house with another tenant.
@millie02 Oh okay. I don't believe we have there in the States.
@millie02 (6909)
@ScribbledAdNauseum They have been doing it for some time in the UK, it has always been popular.
@vhpsandi (360)
• Mumbai, India
I think people respond to us like a mirror. So the more friendly we are automatically they tend to respond in same manner. Smile at someone and they smile back not frown. There are times when some people are really reserved but then they are very few and can be counted on fingertips. So I think it would have been better to have stayed back and tried to make friends with the first neighbours for two reasons 1) Since they were younger, they could be of assistance to her in times of emergencies. 2) They would love to get her, share her experience in all areas of life from child raring to food to travel to saving,just name it. At least I would, that's why this is how I see it.
@millie02 (6909)
I suppose it is better to mix with people of all ages. We can all learn from each other.
@Ronrybs (7283)
• London, England
Lets hope she has more in common, but some people are just determined not to fit in
@millie02 (6909)
She is normally quite a social person , but some people do find it difficult to mix with others.
That's great that she found a new neighbourhood she can really interact with.
@millie02 (6909)
I think she should fit in well with the people who live there.
She will be happier over there I am sure.
@Morleyhunt (19191)
Often our neighbours respond us in reaction to how we interact with them