Phantom of the Opera

@BettyB (4287)
Summerville, South Carolina
When it comes to Christmas and birthdays, my husband and sons usually ask for gift ideas. I offer several as I remember how hard it was to buy gifts for my mother. As a result, I usually know or can figure out what I’m getting. Valentine’s Day gifts from my husband are another story. Some years it’s a pretty little card but sometimes he surprises me with something totally unexpected. This year it was tickets to the Phantom of the Opera. He remembered the one time I mentioned that it would be fun to see. Our big Valentine’s Day date was yesterday. We went to the play and then out to dinner. Well, it wasn’t a play, but opera. All of the dialog was sung. While I enjoyed it, I didn’t understand half of what was being said. I love musicals and I thought that’s what Phantom of the Opera was. Silly of me. The name should have clued me in. It was a beautiful day and I will treasure the memory, but next time an opportunity to visit the opera occurs, I think I’ll pass. Have you ever attended the opera?
I have not ever attended an opera but I have attended many Shakespeare plays over the years.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I love plays and musicals but this was the first opera we've been to. I'll never tell my husband, but I was disappointed. I couldn't follow the story.
@BettyB There are some really great Shakespeare musical productions. We're due to go this summer.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@Juliaacv Musicals I would enjoy. I'm just not sure if I would willingly go to another opera.
I love opera, but my husband doesn't. I haven't been in years.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
My husband bought the tickets, but he thought he was buying tickets for a musical. I enjoyed the show but I think I'll stick to musicals. I like them more.
No I don't really like it and unless they sing in English, can't understand any of it.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It was in English but I still had trouble following it.
@rina110383 (23357)
Yes, when I was a kid, we were required to watch musicals sponsored by the school. One of which was the Phantom of the Opera. During that time, I had a hard time understanding them. I guess it was due to lack of interest.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I was interested but I still didn't understand half of it.
@fawkes62 (1359)
I haven't been to an opera before and I don't think I'd like to go to one. I've read the Phantom of the Opera and it's an interesting story so I wouldn't mind seeing it if it wasn't all sung, but not if it's only an opera.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Musicals are a whole lot more fun to see.
• Midland, Michigan
I don't think I ever attended one in person, but I'm sure they've had them on tv before or maybe it was in the movies. It's not something I'd be interested in either. Hopefully you at least had a good time with your husband on your 'date' even if you didn't enjoy the opera quite so much. I'm guessing you must have found the image online as another person here has the same one. Actually, I think his image is of a ticket he possesses. I'm guessing yours must be a picture of the ticket or program possibly? It's interesting to me how much they are the same though.
(Sorry it is long but this is a subject I never tire of![em]lol[/em]) For 70 years I have always dreamed of being a theatre critic and that dream would come...
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We had a wonderful time. After the opera we went out to dinner, a rare treat, and then went for a long walk.
• Portland, Connecticut
Hi Betty, I am so glad to see you here. I can't wait to hear about your "new" house and what you have done.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I love my little house. We downsized a year ago. We still have a lot of stuff to get rid of but I don't regret the move. Stairs were an issue for my mother as she got older, and my mother-in-law had trouble with the stairs whenever she came to visit.
@bluesa (12836)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@BettyB , no, I have never been to an Opera. It is just not for me. I sort of like two songs from Phantom Of The Opera, but, that's it. Glad you had a beautiful day though. :)
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It was a wonderful day. After the opera we went to dinner. We don't go out often so its a special treat when we do.
I've never been to an opera of any sort and don't fancy it. I like a lot of the well known arias, but wouldn't want to sit through a whole opera.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We both thought we were going to a musical. I like musicals but its the first time I've been to the opera. I doubt we will go to one again.
@josie_ (5150)
I enjoyed the movie adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber production. All my grandchildren watch and like it. I have been encouraging them to watch musical classics like Julie Andrew's sound of music. Hopefully their taste in music will extend beyond today's pop, electronic or hard rock genre.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I love musicals. We have quite a collection of them at home. This was our first and probably last opera.
@acelawrites (10752)
No, but I like the theme song of that play, which I saw and heard from Youtube.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
The music was excellent. My only frustration was having trouble following the dialog.
@Lucky15 (33691)
Haven't ma'am. But i would love to ;)
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
I've never been to an opera and doubt I'd like it, as those I've seen on TV bored me. Glad you (sort of) enjoyed yours, though.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I love musicals but I may watch an opera on TV, but we will not buy tickets for one again
@Raelove (15547)
• Saco, Maine
@BettyB I like musicals in person on a stage, but not in a movie. I remember seeing "West Side Story" live a few years ago at a summer theater here, and I loved it. Opera is fine if it's in English. Otherwise, I have no idea what's going on.
@kaka135 (13484)
Congratulations on celebrating your Valentine's Day date. I don't remember if the one I attended was opera. There was once a friend invited me to attend it, and I thought it'd be interesting as I have never attended it before. I was bored throughout the whole event, because I couldn't understand the English (My English listening skill is not so good). It was a good experience, but I didn't really enjoy it. I couldn't even remember the name of it.
@BettyB (4287)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It was an interesting experience, but I would rather go to musicals. It would be frustrating not understanding any of it.
@bettyb NO, I have never seen an opera. Have you ever read the book version of the phantom of the opera? It would make it easier to understand (the book's singing is easier to understandLol!) On a serious note, there really is a book, but it might be hard to find as I found it hidden in the corner of the library years ago and it was obviously an older book It is worth reading as it is a good storyline!
@Babs0630 (488)
Im glad you had a wonderful day!
@Babs0630 (488)
I have never attended an opera but I know for a fact that my husband would of loved this particular one!
@Inlemay (17336)
• South Africa
Oh I would have loved to see an Opera like this - you are lucky and dont worry in not understanding - you know the story anyway.
@MarymargII (8368)
• Toronto, Ontario
Oh dear- I did see the play a few times but not the opera- I know-boring!