A Trip back to my Homeland

Daffodils in the mist.
Greece
Two weeks ago I went home to the UK again, the first visit in over three years. I wanted to share birthdays with my twin brother, to visit my family and to catch up with some close friends. This required quite long periods of driving so I was able to enjoy England and Wales in the Spring. I was greeted thoughout the journey by daffodils growing in abundance often in the company of primroses. It reminded me of the pleasure expressed by William Wordsworth as he thinks back to the Springtime flowers 'and then my heart with pleasure fills, and dances with the daffodils. I wanted to share them with you. The daffodils in the photo are growing in Wales, it was a misty morning but the flowers brought sunshine into the day.
Thank you so much for this lovely tour of Wales looking at the daffodils. Also I love that quote from William Wordsworth "and then my heart with pleasure fills, and dances with the daffodils" We still have to wait a bit for our hearts to fill with joy, but they will come on their own time, like usual.
• Greece
It is something to look forward to. I hope your daffodils will also bloom in abundance.
@41CombedaleRoad Our daffodils finally bloomed but not in abundance this year.
@Shiva49 (7173)
Homecoming is always a pleasure and to catch up with those we grew up with. I have been doing it for thirty five years at least once a year - siva
Homecoming is indeed a great joy. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do it for a few years.
• Greece
What are y our plans this year, it would be interesting to hear what you do in Singapore. I lived there myself when I was a very young woman and remember an island that was still very simple and not a skyscraper in sight.
@Shiva49 (7173)
@41CombedaleRoad Nice to hear that. That should have been long ago as skyscrapers have been around for many decades. I am a professional accountant, now almost retired. I was also in Indonesia for five years and enjoyed wherever I lived and the culture too was quite inviting. I will be here for the time being and accept whatever life has in store for me - siva
I thought Daffodils were cultured but here I see them growing wild. Beautiful flowers.
• Greece
There are lots of varieties so many are cultivated ones which may be larger and more varied in shades of yellow. The wild ones are a strong yellow.
@41CombedaleRoad i was introduced to Daffodils through a poem by William Wordsworth when I was in school
@dodo19 (21445)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It must have been really nice for you to be able to see family again. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
• Greece
They all live busy lives now and are happy with grown children of their own. Although I only had two children the extended family is now quite big.
@dodo19 (21445)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@41CombedaleRoad it must get tricky, trying to get together.
@silvermist (16464)
@41CombedaleRoad How beautiful!.We had to study that poem in school.Are the birthday celebrations over?
• Greece
They are over, they began before I went away and continued on and off for two more weeks. It was a special one.
@silvermist (16464)
@41CombedaleRoad Did you and your brother exchange any presents on your birthday?
Everything is always lush and green in the UK with the rain.
• Greece
Sometimes it is a bit too lush and green - maybe a little less rain would be welcome.
I think the long journey is worth it. Happy birthday to you!
• Greece
It was well worth it to connect once more with the people that are closest to my heart.
@scheng1 (22922)
I bet that stretch of road does not have many Chinese families. There is a saying that Chinese eat whatever have legs, except the table. This is a way to say that Chinese are very creative when it comes to food. I bet the Chinese families will find a way to cook the daffodils while avoiding the poisonous parts.
• Greece
That stretch of road did not have anyone living there - it was far out in the country.
When travelling in Europe, I noticed a family planting flowers at the side of the road. No one does that sort of thing in the U.S. If we did, we might have lovely flowers to enjoy like these.
• Greece
I wondered at the number of people who must have planted most of those daffodils. Some were in straight lines - so it wasn't an act of Nature! Such acts of love have resulted in great pleasure for all who drive past or walk by.
@41CombedaleRoad If we had rain here, I would do this. Now that I am retired, I have the time.
• Greece
@ElizabethWallace There is not much rain here in Greece but I have determined to buy some daffodil bulbs in the spring and plant some in a shady area where I can easily water them. Bringing a little English Springtime into Greece...
I hope you enjoyed your visit. I came back to England on Tuesday and seem to have brought the sunshine with me. The blossoms and flowers here are lovely, just like your photo.
• Greece
I came back with some good memories, but I did not take the sunshine with me to England so experienced some wet and cold days as well as a couple of sunny ones. I didn't mind as I was not going there for the weather. Like you, I enjoy a great deal of sunny weather in warmer climes.
Daffodils are beautiful flowers, among the first to bloom in Spring. We finally have many flowers blooming right now, it's warmer than usual this year.
• Greece
When I left Greece to go on holiday the land all around us here was also full of spring flowers, it was covered with anemonies in all their variety of shades. Next year I shall make sure there is a patch of daffodils too.
The daffodils are so pretty growing along the roadside. It was nice that you were able to visit and share your birthday with your twin.
• Greece
Yes it was good to share a birthday with may brother, the first time we have done this in 17 years!
• Marion, Kansas
You have framed this discussion really well. When I opened it and saw the pictures I immediate thought of this poem as well. Have a wonderful time visiting and if you have returned to Greece, enjoy and treasure the memories.
• Greece
I shall have to frame the photo of the daffodils, that's a must now I am back here. A reminder of a great holiday and some of the natural beauty of England and Wales.
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a lovely photo taken on a grayish day.
@Inlemay (16354)
• South Africa
seeing those daffodils growing wild is just beautiful
so glad that'cha got to go back home, hon. 'n what a time'f year to do such! jest when schtuff's startin' to come 'live. lovely daffodils. hope yer able to get rested from yer journey. big hugs!
How nice that you were able to go back for a visit. We went to Wordsworth's childhood home in England somewhere. I have it all written up but can't remember the name of the town at the moment. Christian Fletcher came from the same town.