It Must Be Awful....

Boise, Idaho
I couldn't sleep this morning and was watching an old episode of Unsolved Mystery. There was a story on it of a young woman named Patricia. She was in a hit and run auto accident. The other car's driver said she just came over to their car, stared down at them for a few moments and then walked away. There have been several sitings of her and often she was crying or obviously upset. I have often wondered about amnesia victims. Sometimes they begin to remember after a period of time, but, others don't.Some recall only periods of their previous lives and some none at all. Some can't make new memories. Usually caused by disease, brain damage or psychological trauma and is a loss of memory. Areas of the brain such as hippocampus and diencephalon are areas involved. Scientists have also found that there is a correlation between the RbAp48 protein and memory loss. But, going back to Patricia. Years have passed and she has never tried to contact any of her family. I can only imagine how horrible it would be to wonder around and not know who you are or where your home is. To no longer know the warmth of home or the love of family and friends. Can you even imagine how awful a life like that would be?
But if someone has amnesia, do you really understand that they don't know the warmth of love of a family? If they forgot thing they probably forgot that too. I'm just tossing this out, I'm not an expert (on this subject anyway LOL)
And it is the lack of that family love that is so sad.
• Marion, Kansas
So this is not a ghost story, she survived? I have heard, but do not know if it is true, that sometimes a person who has amnesia associated with a trauma actually, on some level, want to start over.
And many can. There are several different kinds of amnesia and some recover and others don't.
• Lakewood, Colorado
It is very very sad isnt it Celtic? I watch these shows too and it always breaks me up.
I guess it is because family is so important to me. I have so many great memories. To have lost those and not have the family anymore would be devastating. And, then to not even know what you had lost because there was no memory of it would be horrible.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@celticeagle Terrible Celtic.
@TiarasOceanView ....I really think so.
I believe it is worse for those who know someone affected by amnesia, because those who are affected can remember nothing. They do not even know that there is someone who cares for them, it's just like those who have Alzheimer's, they have no memories.
Dementia memory loss is actually quite different but can cause the same sadness in the family.
@celticeagle Yes, more to the families than to those who are affected.
@LadyDuck ...It's unfair that the family does have the memories really.
I cant imagine someone just vanishing and people never knowing, but I have read it actually happens more than one might think
Yes, it seems to. And, without some therapy and even meds at times they may never get any of their memory back. It is so sad to think about.
@celticeagle and some just choose to run off, I may want to disappear now and then, but I never would do that
@Jessicalynnt ......I don't think that this Patricia meant to leave either. She had no memory and didn't know where to go. I think that would be scary. Having actually no recall at all as to who your are or where your family was.
@Marcyaz (36125)
If she can't remember anything about her past she would not even know her family or the warmth and love she had received in the past.
Yes, and to me that is very sad.
@Marcyaz (36125)
@celticeagle I think it would not only be sad but it would be like a baby not knowing any love.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
You would expect that it should be easy to trace such a person these days. She cannot just walk away and begin a new life because she would be unable to acquire employment or housing without any history. Therefore you would expect the authorities to become aware quite quickly and the incident of finding someone with amnesia being recorded officially I do realise that this is not always the case, but often wonder why.
I don't know how that would be because this person doesn't know their name and so how can they make any identification? Unless the family just happens to see her. She might make up a name and start over. How can the amnesia be recorded if she doesn't know and doesn't associate with others much? Depends on the person and how bad she was I guess.
@Asylum (46838)
• Manchester, England
@celticeagle My point is that the lack of knowing who she is or where she lives would bring her to the attention of the authorities. It would therefore go on record and searching for a female of certain age range and other features will lead to her whereabouts.
@cherriefic (4196)
• Baguio, Philippines
That must really be awful to not being able to remember anything. I wouldn't like that to happen to me. I can't imagine not recognizing my own family and friends.
I agree. It would be awful. You'd have no way of knowing where you lived or who you were.If you had children, a husband, etc.
@scheng1 (24949)
So sad to hear that. I think her parents must be very sad over it, but there is nothing they can do to repair the brain damage. If she never contacts her family, and they also never bother to care about her, that is the saddest of all.
I don't think it is that the family doesn't care about her. They just can't find her. There have been some sitings but nothing ever comes of them.
@miniam (9304)
• Bern, Switzerland
Did she die in the hit and run?
No, she just went over to the other car, looked down at the people and then walked away.