Vanilla Lovers Take Note

@Raelove (17656)
Saco, Maine
I heard on the news that the price of most things made with vanilla will rise due to a shortage of the beans used to produce that particular flavoring. That caused me to wonder just what those products would be that would cost more. Vanilla ice cream? Vanilla coffee creamers? Cake mixes with vanilla in them? Vanilla extract? Candles? Vanilla sandwich cookies? Air freshener sprays? White chocolate? Prepared frostings? The list goes on... As a child, I loved vanilla ice cream. Since then, I've come to prefer other flavors, but I know that most, if not all confections do contain vanilla as a basic flavoring ingredient. So I'm wondering just how much the price of these products will go up. Though, considering that the price of most things continues to go up almost weekly, it may be hard to tell the difference! (Public Domain Image)
I'd better stock up on vanilla bottles then.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
That's a good idea if you use a lot of it. I don't anymore, and I use the imitation anyway, so that won't be as affected.
I did last week, not only bottles but many vanilla pods.
@Raelove I use to buy the Watkins vanilla which was very good but kind of expensive.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Oh wow that is so not good news. I have to check my vanilla flavoring see if I have enough for a while.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
I usually buy the imitation stuff, so I don't think that will be affected.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@Raelove I do too it's way cheaper.
@Hate2Iron (8029)
I tried making my own a few years back, but I'm still going to need the vanilla beans. I guess that we are going to have to bite the bullet or go imitation!
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
I watch lots of cooking shows, and learned that you can make extract with the beans and vodka. You can also put a vanilla bean in a jar of granulated sugar, and it picks up the flavor. I don't bake enough to justify the high cost of beans, so I go with the imitation.
@Hate2Iron (8029)
@Raelove I tried the beans in vodka, but it didn't really taste like vanilla to me. Maybe I didn't use enough?? I grew up on imitation... guess that I will go back to it!
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
@Hate2Iron Same here. I get a kick out of people who say they wouldn't touch it. I've used it all my life, and don't see a thing wrong with it. LOL
@KuznVinny (774)
Vanilla (from the nature-grown beans) and vanillin (a chemical version) are almost identical. In fact, in a sense, they are identical. Hello, a chemical reaction didn't suddenly experience a shortage. At any rate, everyone is looking for some reason (or inventing one) why their personal product can be doubled in price for their own advantage. This began many years ago with sugar, then with coffee. It is thus one of the older tricks in the book. Since the late 1800s, we have been experiencing an ever increasing greed in the world of commerce.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
You are so right. I remember the sugar and coffee shortages. Here, and I'm not sure where else, we had a beef shortage back in the 70's. The price went sky-high, so some people (my parents included) were trying horse meat. As I mentioned in another response, the price of eggs has not come down that much since the so-called shortage almost two years ago due to the bird flu wiping out flocks. I know a bit about chickens, and it doesn't take two years to rebuild a laying flock. Just another gimmick to feed the greed.
@Raelove Ah! I remember that. And I lived in Jersey. Horsemeat stores began to open (and be bombed, I believe). I guess entrepreneurs thought there was a shortage shortage.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
@KuznVinny I do remember the bombings! My parents tried the horsemeat once, and didn't like it much. Who knows? That could have been a ploy by meat producers to get people to eat more chicken. Have you noticed that the bird flu didn't affect broilers and fryers, just laying hens? Now that is one selective virus!
I love vanilla!! gosh wouldn't it be nice to find something that is abundant and the price is decreasing
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
That is rarely the case. They dupe us into thinking there are shortages, they raise the price, and we just keep on buying it. My choice is always to boycott something like that, especially if it's something I don't really need.
@Raelove I find myself buying less and less and still spending way more than I want. The ever increasing prices make it so difficult to live on a fixed income
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
@Marilynda1225 Yes it does. I'm just glad that I only have myself to feed now.
I have had an issue with the price of vanilla extract for several years. The real things is both hard to come by and ridiculously priced. Real ingredients in things is a joke pretty much anymore anyway so this will probably mean more of the make up ones. Sad.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
I've rarely been able to afford real extract, so I've always used the imitation. I rarely bake anymore, so it's not a big issue for me. But it will be for those who do love vanilla and who can afford to use real ingredients.
@Raelove ...Same with me. It just reminds me of when my grandmother baked with the real deal and the difference it made.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle There was a time when the real extract was all there was. And there is a difference.
Vanilla ice cream and vanilla frozen yogurt are the most popular flavors of both items. The packages are now much smaller, with no change in price. So I guess now the prices will go up to what they would have been if they had not make them smaller. There is no help for the customer.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
No, there is not. Pricing is never in our favor unless it's a sale to get you into the store to buy other things as well.
@Raelove This is one reason that I buy most of my groceries (once each month) online. I can see what is on sale, buy in bulk and avoid buying what is not either running low or on sale. I often save over 30% this way. Plus, I use my cash rewards credit card and save another 6%.
@gudheart (12741)
I noticed how expensive it is just to get a small vanilla pod or essence.
@gudheart (12741)
@Raelove The extract is quite expensive too. I only use it when really needed.
@Inlemay (17140)
• South Africa
I love vanilla as well - what a pity that we are exploiting it so much that there is a shortage
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
I don't think there really is a shortage. I think this is just a way like with so many products for them to raise the price.
@JESSY3236 (7496)
I heard that too. It's sad. I love vanilla ice cream too. I have been getting lately either butter pecan, or Coconut fudge (has vanilla with concut and fudge swirls. I also love vanilla scent.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
Even many foods that aren't labelled as "vanilla" do contain it, so it could affect more than just those.
Oh, I do like vanilla. I will be disappointed if a lot of things go up noticeably!
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
It probably won't be much different from other things going up due to droughts, etc. That happens a lot in the U.S., and then the price never comes back down. Eggs are a good example. There was a shortage two years ago due to bird flu killing laying hens. Here it is two years later and some stores still haven't come back down on their prices. It doesn't take two years for a new generation of hens to start laying again.
@cherriefic (4805)
The bakers or other businesses that used vanilla may be the one who will really feel the difference.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, and their prices will go up, too.
same with chocolate,I have not try the vanilla extract do have it here.Any good.I also found banana
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
Vanilla extract is used in yellow cakes, sugar cookies, etc. It's also added to chocolate cake and cookie batter for extra flavor.
You named all the products whose price will increase and there will probably be more. Prices will increase and likely never come down even if vanilla beans were overproduced.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
I agree. It seems that, once they do raise prices on something, for whatever reason, they never do come back down. And how do we ever know for sure if there really is a shortage? It's probably their way of just raising prices, and an insult to our intelligence.
I am glad that last week I bought several vanilla beans. They are now stocked in glass jars to keep their aroma.
What isn't going up for one reason or another. I personally use very little vanilla...don't care for most things vanilla so I think the few penny increase in this won't hit me in the wallet.
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
Same here. It's not my favorite flavor anymore. I don't bake much, and most other products made with vanilla scent are too overpowering for me. Thing is, though, that even things we don't think have vanilla in them do. So why not just price everything higher and get it over with? Oh wait, they've already done that!
@Raelove That's right - they did long ago. I didn't stop buying chocolate even tho the price went up - Now if I bought $100 of it a week I might have to cut back!
@Raelove (17656)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill You probably also remember the big sugar and coffee price spikes of years ago. Neither price went down after that. Gone were the days when you could buy a 5-lb. bag of sugar for $2 and a can of decent coffee for about the same. I have to ration chocolate, or I'd be eating it all the time! Love the dark especially!