***Adminstrative Advisement*** A joke gone wrong. No, myLot is not currently hiring.

Recently, April 1st to be exact, a post went up that stated we were looking to hire moderators. It was posted by a member who intended to have some April Fools Day fun. No harm was intended, no genuine deception was planned and certainly no controversy was meant to ensue. But as the universe will do sometimes, things didn't go as planned. So let me clarify, we are not currently hiring moderators. If and when we do, it will be through official channels. We have a large pool of members to choose from. There are a lot of great people here who would more than satisfy the position. It would definitely be difficult choosing someone. But if we do, it will most likely be in the form of a private message sent to the candidate we choose. While I was made aware of the post, I was not technically "in on it". I was merely complacent in not spoiling what was intended as a harmless prank. I apologize for any confusion or ill will this may have created.
@owlwings (38153)
• Cambridge, England
First of all, I apologise to anyone who was offended by it. I don't think that it did any harm and you can be certain that it won't be repeated (my April Fools are quite different each year). I had meant to reveal the joke the following day but, unfortunately, Windows decided to throw a major 2 to 3 hour upgrade at me and I succumbed to a ghastly bug which left me unable to do much more than go through the motions for the next 48 hours. I wholeheartedly agree with @yukimori that it was something of a success. It attracted some very interesting views on the nature of a 'moderator'. Indeed, I had intended to follow it up with a post explaining that everyone is - or should be - a moderator of a sort and attempting to point out the difference between a moderator and an administrator.
@owlwings Your all good! Sorry about the update problem that gave you a bug! Blessings my friend!
What suckered me in (and no hard feelings) is the episode occurring the night before, and having had Admin suggest to me (twice now) about starting discussions about particular subjects...so my assumption (I should know better than to assume things) was you had been in a PM exchange with Admin over the problem and they suggested you start that. Bad Owl! Bad!!!
@Lucky15 (33700)
I fell for it..but never had harmed me. It is okay *giving you pat.in the back* ;)
@yukimori (8542)
I personally wouldn't consider it a joke gone wrong. It was a wonderfully executed prank, and I'll gladly admit that it didn't occur to me that it was a prank until the subtle change to the title was made. And considering that I know better than to trust messages that don't come from the official accounts, yes... I was a fool! Thanks for taking the time to clarify things for everyone here. I'd wondered if you were aware of it beforehand, since it seemed like something that would be best done with administrative knowledge to quell any potential issues.
The title change is when I realized i had been 'had' as well
@suni51 (1849)
@JolietJake I thought you knew it
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JolietJake I noticed the title change but didn't think much of it. I still nominate myself to be your vice-moderator. I moderate my vices well. It's noon in Chicago as I write (I'm in California), yet I won't be visiting any single-malts until about 9 PM this evening, Chicago time.
It was meant for fun and I would hope that's how people took it. It tricked me but I wasn't upset about it or anything. =) We still love Owlwings!
@vandana7 (57466)
Love him more after seeing his lighter side...lol.
@LovingMyBabiesAh, Mr. Owlwings was the culprit? He did a great job and I'm not upset either, though I know a couple people who would fit the job description.
Actually March 31st, but...
Perhaps he hoped it was close enough then. Either way, sincerest apologies for the confusion. In retrospect, it was a bad idea.
@GoAskAlice No biggie, I found out I have more admirers than detractors
@pgntwo (21696)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@GoAskAlice If people never had bad ideas we'd still be living in the Stone Age :)
@mysdianait (63977)
Not everyone fell for it and was alert on that day
@vandana7 (57466)
Oh my yellow butterfly..
@yukimori (8542)
...yet you sat there laughing into your coughee instead of offering to share it with us!
@topffer (30521)
• France
It was started on March 31st, but as the response was for April 1st, I thought that it could be a joke. Thank you for the clarification.
@thesids (22453)
• Bhubaneswar, India
There was no confusion whatsoever at least for me. I had rejected that offer. And maybe I now can safely say- I did not become a victim of the prank. And for the record, this was the only one time that I saw dear Owlwings play a prank on us. And as such, I would request all who felt confused or bad, to take it sportingly in the right spirits of April Fools Day.
• Lakewood, Colorado
It is good Admin that you commented here for various reasons.
@GoAskAlice Thank You for the clarification. I believe there were many who took it serious because of the 'timing issue'. As I look back on it I suspect it was more of an excitement for some that they could be helpful. Often rumors can be taken as real which may have caused some confusion. Most would be aware that it would be approached differently, however because some staff are known and others are not it can be hard to differentiate. I don't think ill will is had but it is good to get the clarification because of the heavier traffic a post can draw when it comes from good members.
@vandana7 (57466)
We enjoyed your silent participation.
@Platespinner (18471)
Thanks for clarifying. I would have suspected an April Fool prank, except according to my computer it was posted on March 31st...
It was a time zone issue. When it was posted, it was already April 1st where he was. But the site being in a different time zone recorded it as the day before.
@GoAskAlice The downside of an international community. It was a pretty good joke, he had quite a few of us going!
@GoAskAlice No, it wasn't...it was still March 31st there, he is only 6 hours ahead of us.
@rosekiss (30153)
• Eugene, Oregon
It was a funny prank at that, and I do know who you are talking about that posted a discussion about it. He is funny anyway, so I guess we should have all known that it wasn't true. I am glad that you are clarifying this though, so as othes do get to concerned about it.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I want to be a Moderator, and I want it NOW! (The early version, not the Johnny Depp version.)
@rosekiss (30153)
• Eugene, Oregon
@TheHorse That is a good one. I wouldn't want it, as not sure I could do it, and I like things the way they are right now. I just want to be carefree when I come in here.
@sjvg1976 (14526)
I knew he was making us fool. If there was a need of moderators you would have started the discussion
More likely I would just private message the intended candidate.
@suni51 (1849)
In fact I had warned many on that disc to many but some of them said about date ting but I never had any doubt about the fact. Such things come from the official pages only.
@DaddyEvil (22310)
Thank you for the clarification, Alex. Several of us had wondered at the way that was done, but accepted it since nothing was said from myLot against it. Everyone can make a mistake....
@vandana7 (57466)
Me too.
@alberello75 (13491)
• Genova, Italy
Nobody is perfect in life, everyone sometimes wrong. However it is important that everything has been clarified. Thank you.
Hee hee - no worries! But let me say then, that was a good one!
@Morleyhunt (16522)
There are some hurtful April Fools pranks. This was t one of them. No harm as far as I'm concerned.
@cherriefic (4279)
• Baguio, Philippines
Yeah. It really got almost all of us big time. But one of the members already informed us it was a joke. Thanks for clarifying though.
There were some members who made a discussion why they should be considered, they fell for it.
@mammots (3295)
And there was one member who posted a discussion thanking all of us for choosing him as moderator. I think its a serries of pranks
@mammots I never once said moderator or myLot...
@mammots (3295)
@JolietJake Oh yes you said dictator and community instead of mylot
It is with great pleasure I accept the responsibilities inherent with this position. I hereby promise to treat everyone fairly and impartially. I realize we...
I hope he didn't get in trouble for doing that.....
No, lol, not at all.
@GoAskAlice Thank goodness, we would bail him out of jail if need be!