Do attractive people have advantages over others?

By DEX
@Dextoi (1960)
The new house I rented is just a walk away to go to the nearest convenience store, market or grocery. And I can’t help but notice a common sight on women and even on men. Many women as I have observed have at least one makeup on their face. Even high school students who are going to school have makeup on and even after their classes. And there are also guys who’d have their hair styled to the latest fad and, surprisingly, some of them wore makeup! I am not so sure but they say, attractive people do have an advantage over others who (unfortunately) do not. Well, most job postings require “pleasing personality”. Well, unfortunately, I have seen good looking workers who are just too sloppy and slacking at work. Well, for me, I still believe that beauty is skin deep and intelligence is always the new sexy. "First impressions last"? Do you think attractive people have advantages over others? Does looking good reflects how you work in your career? Does makeup help those who want to look good?
@Ladypeace (2074)
I agree that attractive people are perceived more favorably. However, while beauty opens more doors for someone, it doesn't guarantee them success.
@Dextoi (1960)
I like that. They still need to work on their jobs and not settle by just their looks. They have to show that they are worthy of being hired.
@scheng1 (24886)
Pleasing personality has nothing to do with makeup or beauty. All of us love to go to work with friendly colleagues. The best is that they are sincerely happy, and they do not have fake smile for the bosses.
@Dextoi (1960)
I guess you are referring to their attitude... but yes, a good and positive attitude really adds to a person's overall personality
@scheng1 (24886)
@Dextoi Many people are not having positive attitude, but they know enough to hide their real personality, and appear cheerful at work. They know that their bosses like to see them coming happily to work.
@katcarneo (1433)
I like this comment very much because although I believe (modesty aside) that I am quite okay in the looks department, I think no one at work would say I have a pleasing personality haha! I keep to myself and stay in my cubicle all day. I bow my head down when I see people coming and I am never one to say Hello first. I am somewhat socially awkward and with a blank expression on my face. I never exude cheerfulness of that positive vibe.
@rina110383 (24253)
As to your belief regarding beauty, I concur to that. No. I don't judge a person through first impression. It will never last because people change and so are circumstances. It depends on the purpose for which they'll use their attractiveness and it also depends on the other party's definition of attractiveness. In my field of profession (legal), one's attractiveness won't give him/her advantage over others. It's intelligence and confidence. What do you mean? I have a different idea of "looking good." One who is smart and confident looks good and more often, they are the ones who succeed in their career on a long-term basis. Does their looking good also mean they are happy with their career? Probably yes because they know that they are assets of the company and their employer recognizes their efforts. Other persons who are just "physically beautiful" may get jobs but that doesn't guarantee their promotion and growth with the company. If the work demands the person to wear one to look good, the answer is yes. It doesn't only help the person to look good but also the company/industry as well. A good example is the showbiz and fashion industry. For my profession, it's useless wearing the best make-up if the person is not mentally prepared.
@Dextoi (1960)
Thanks, @rina110383 . Nowadays, media has influenced people that a certain beauty is the norm which is unfortunate to some (like me...lol). It made even the young ones be enticed by the power of beauty products. This might be the reason as to why our country isn't moving forward as we wanted it to. If private companies and government offices prefer people with pleasing personalities rather than the person's achievement and capabilities, we might as well kiss our country's hopes and dreams goodbye. As for showbiz personalities, there are some that don't look good physically... but they have that 'character' which they portray on the tv that made them unique. I remember Rene Requiestas... Anyway, it's good to have jobs that require more brains than the looks.
@rina110383 (24253)
@Dextoi Hey, include me. I always look haggard and I don't wear make-up. My hair looks like a popcorn. I have never tried any of those hair treatments. I was never a fan of improving myself physically, part of my I don't care attitude. Though I see a lot a who use their "physical attractiveness" as advantage, I'm lucky that in my profession, it's brains that matter.
@Dextoi (1960)
@rina110383 Haggard is a sign of being a hardworking person, no makeup means simple and that "simplicity is beauty" and .... popcorn is a good snack... lol I think it depends on you. But you have to make sure it won't do you bad in the end. You still need to take care of yourself
• Minneapolis, Minnesota
Well I have mixed feelings on this subject but I do think attractive people have quite a few advantages over others, which is a very unfortunate thing. I have witnessed it with my own eyes especially when it comes to the work force. Ive seen qualified candidates get passed over for some cheep cheerleader type with minimal experience.
@Dextoi (1960)
Ahhh that's what's wrong with most of the human resource department. It's sad when that happens. I think that is one of the reasons why a company is most likely to fail in the long run or there will be no improvement at all. And, if a candidate knows someone from the employment team, there will be a bigger chance that he/she will be accepted instead of those who are capable of doing the work better.
• Minneapolis, Minnesota
@Dextoi Its the ugly truth
No matter what you read I know that attractive people have advantages when looking for a job. The makeup does not really help, it is more important to look good, I mean well dressed and so on.
@Dextoi (1960)
I guess you are referring to looking good through cleanliness?
@Dextoi Yes, being clean with the hair well combed and so on.
@snurgr (149)
• Mumbai, India
Attractive people do get a good head start.. A person sees you first and then talks later.. so good looks does matter at first but in no way would make you hardworking.. so good looks + smartness + hard work all are equally important!
@Dextoi (1960)
I agree... It's okay to look at someone who is attractive, but talking to them is another story. There are some who are really smart while some are not.
@salonga (28072)
Good looks of course is an advantage if we are to look for job or if we want to get noticed but just as you said, beauty is skin deep. What is beauty if worker has bad character or lazy or dishonest. As for me, I will always consider inner beauty more than the outside beauty.
@Dextoi (1960)
That's nice of you, @salonga... Knowng a person better needs an effort though. It needs more time as compared to first impressions...
I think that depending on the circumstances, yes some good looking people do have an advantage for instance models, actors, actresses, and so on, but this would be the usual, though times are changing and now they are trying to introduce different kinds of looks into this area. I do not think that looks can make a person do well in profession however. Make up is an addition to someone that might want to accentuate features..it can be useful but not necessary.
@Dextoi (1960)
Hollywood actors and actresses do look good. But there are also good looking Americans who prefer to do other jobs. If they compete with others in applying for work, I think they got the upper hand against others. Like, if Chris Evans (Captain America) would apply for a hotel front office position and someone unfortunate becomes his competitor for the job... well.. let's say, the other guy was me... Scientifically, biologically and statistically, I have 0.0000001% chance of getting the job. HAHAHA Anyway, as a Filipino, I think foreigners generally look good ;)
@Dextoi There are beautiful people indeed in any heritage, culture, ethnicity. Nah I dont go with that you may not have the chance...that depends on who is doing the hiring..just my idea.
@JESSY3236 (5253)
I think it can. Me personally I don't makeup usually unless I dress up for church or a job interview.
@Dextoi (1960)
But you already look good! Why? Hihi
@JESSY3236 (5253)
@Dextoi Thanks. I do have some acne.
@Dextoi (1960)
@JESSY3236 but that doesn't make any big changes to the face, i guess...
I Strongly disagree that attractive people have advantages over others for it all boils down to performance. And yes, I do agree that students nowadays are more likely to be "just for show" or whatever you call it. Brain is still of higher degree than beauty.
@Dextoi (1960)
But unfortunately, when in a selection for hiring, it's the photo that comes first, right? Some would even throw the whole application/resume when they see that the applicant does not look good at all. But i'm not speaking about ALL of the hiring process. There are just some...
@Dextoi Yes, some not all. For others seek the deeper thought of an individual not jsut their exterior part.
@epiffanie (8320)
I think being presentable is important.. If wearing makeup makes one look and feel presentable then they should .. But I personally don't like looking at people who wear very think make up which a lot of young people do these days ..
@Dextoi (1960)
That's one good point. Presentable. Yeah, I guess looking clean is a good addition to our physical selves. But there are also those who want to look ragged and on their own style... to each his own? I have to agree with that as well. High school students nowadays seems like they can't go to school without wearing makeup.
@epiffanie (8320)
@Dextoi Maybe that's the in thing these days ..
@Dextoi (1960)
@epiffanie then i'd rather be 'out' of those things..lol. But I can certainly tell when a woman would look more pretty or more gorgeous while wearing a makeup. I certainly dig those who are well-dressed with simple makeup. And the glasses... the glasses!
Make-up can make or break a face actually . There are pretty ladies who when applied make-up doesn't look as pretty when they are just simple .. I think , when one is made up simply , she looks classy , so that's why they are accorded good service . That's just my observation though .
@Dextoi (1960)
True... There are those that put on makeup and look like clowns. Too much of it is not beautiful at all. Simple is beautiful... :)
@Dextoi Just a little touch of make-up is beautiful . It makes the face look classy .
@MGjhaud (20823)
answer to question #1 : most cases, yes friend. unfortunately haha.. answer to question #2 : in my case? yessir. answer to question #3 : yes again. i hate to admit but physical look matters first. you know what they say -- when you go in to a room for an interview, the first thing they notice is not your brain but your looks.
@Dextoi (1960)
I had a nice laugh when I read that. And, yes, you do have a point and I like it. Personally though, looks don't amaze me (referring to people). I takes a bit of time for me to know a person. And when I truly know him/her through their words, that's when I can say that they are worth the time. Well, it depends on each person, yes? Can you tell me about how looking good reflects how you work in your career?
@MGjhaud (20823)
@Dextoi hehe.. seriously though, one's look alone doesnt reflect how our work is done or executed. Somehow personality and style, habits and body language comes in one package. looks sometimes say a lot about a person but the traits & attitude go with it too.
@Lucky15 (33759)
Maybe. It depends ;)
@Dextoi (1960)
I hope you can explain that further. I can understand having front line jobs need people with pleasing personalities but there are others who got the skill but unfortunately, they lack in some areas...
@Lucky15 (33759)
@Dextoi front liners...but some can really be..ahmm. you know.
I think generally beautiful or attractive people will have advantage in some kind of way. Though of course personality matters most but the first thing people notice about you is how you look. With makeup, I think not only to look more attractive but also for looking neat or not so pale looking.
@Dextoi (1960)
true... it works better as an enhancement rather than to change the face... simple is more beautiful
@sol_cee (13977)
• Japan
Unfortunately most people would use their eyes first and foremost.
@Dextoi (1960)
True... But because people can perceive with their eyes first, it just means that they have the advantage among others, is that right?
@hereandthere (25130)
yes, makeup, heels, spas and salons... yes, it's easy to notice those with above average looks, but those whom you had above average interaction with tend to leave a mark, regardless of appearance, and you seek them out on your next visit.
@Dextoi (1960)
I do agree with you. There are a lot of people who looks great but talking to them is just so empty (for the lack of word). And there are others who could talk intelligibly and as confident as they can. Though it would depend on people. It depends whether we look at people beyond their physical appearance.
Yes. Initial impressions are everything and we live in a superficial world.
@Dextoi (1960)
I get your point. Having said that "we live in a superficial world", would definitely explain why there are a lot of selfies and vanity going on the social media.