How Much Sleep Do You Get Per 24 Hours?

While most people sleep at night and work during the day, some people work at night and sleep during the day. Either way, we all need to sleep more than we probably do. My son went to a sleep clinic and he wears a mask at night. When he travels, he has to take it with him. We go through different phase of sleep called “rapid eye movement” (REM) about every 60 to 90 minutes and it is during these phases, that the brain is the most active and researchers believe that the brain is performing some kind of self-repair. If the sleep cycle is interrupted, our brain functions are affected, which can result in a lot of other ailments. For one thing, it can weaken your immune system, because during sleep, our body produces T cells, which fight against diseases. During sleep, our body also produces the hormone leptin, which helps to regulate appetite. So the body needs sleep as much as it needs proper diet and exercise. Ecclesiastes 5:12 says: “Sweet is the sleep of the one serving, regardless of whether it is little or much that he eats, but the plenty belonging to the rich one is not permitting him to sleep.” Many things can cause anxieties of life and worries about what someone has stored up for the future, but that could rob a person of restful sleep. Do you think you get enough sleep?
I believe I am getting my bodies best amount of sleep as often as I can because I do NOT let schedules run my life, I run schedules.
@besweet (6214)
• Greece
I admire your attitude towards schedules! And sleeping!
@besweet one cannot let anything external control our precious internal . . . and thank you kindly @besweet it took years for me to get this part of my life, controlled
@besweet (6214)
• Greece
@enlightenedpsych2 Currently I am in a position where my schedule is overwhelming and it's very stressful for me. It needs time to achieve that, I felt the control you have described, through your writing.
I don't go to bed until very late , but usually sleep well once I get there. 6 or 7 hours is enough for me.
I stay up late too. It's midnight right now and I was up at 8 this morning. I will still be up for at least another hour, reading after I leave the computer.
Most nights I do get enough sleep, but at times my brain will not shut off its ramblings and I have trouble falling asleep. Hopefully good sleep most of the time will be enough to keep my body running efficiently.
@besweet (6214)
• Greece
This happens to me as well, especially on weekends. Going for a run late in the afternoon always helps because I get tired physically and then I can sleep in a few minutes.
• New Delhi, India
True story! I feel that listening to some light music can help me sleep a lot. Here's a list of tracks that I love to listen to while trying to sleep. Let her go by Passenger Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven Painting greys by Emmit Fenn Hey there Delilah by Plain White T's Budapest by George Ezra Another love by Tom Odell Hold back the river by James Bay 7 years by Luke Graham Sound and colour by Alabama Shakes Photograph by Ed Sheeran Hopefully these help!
Hi there @Corbin5 on the nights that the sweet brain of yours wants to go into over-drive, take a shoe box (empty of course) a piece of paper with all the thoughts that are racing trying to keep you awake and write them down-- put that piece of paper in the shoe box, close it. Leave it till morning when you can take the piece of paper out and deal with the stuff that might of been keeping you awake all night, with a refreshed slept well induced brain !
@mommaj (22334)
I have two kids and between the two of them being up at different times, I am sure I do not get enough sleep. In fact I was told I don't by a doctor. My thought was if he is that concerned about it, he should keep the kids overnight. HAHAHA
Good idea! My granddaughter definitely does not get enough sleep. Her youngest, who is four, rarely sleeps through the night.
@mommaj (22334)
@IreneVincent Does her youngest have health/mental issues or is it just the toddler stage? I guess I didn't mention one has add and the other is autistic. LOL They are both funny as anything. No sleep doesn't slow them down. It does me.
@carebear29 (17244)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
I am lucky if I get between 5-6 hours.
Perhaps you should set your mind to sleeping despite any interruptions because the immune system does it updating while in the REM cycle of sleep and what better way to whack any debilitating condition, right ? I know easier said than done . . .
You really need more than that. But, sometimes it can't be done when you have a busy schedule. Don't ruin your health though.
@enlightenedpsych2 We do need sleep for our bodies to function correctly. Sleep-deprived humans can not and do not function to their best ability.
• Midland, Michigan
overall I get enough sleep, but it's in cycles. I work both during the day and sometimes during the night and sometimes both. During those time, I try to sleep four hours before and after the nighttime job. Sometimes I think I get too much sleep, but not always. I'm hoping it evens out enough. If I didn't have to continually get up during the night to get rid of all the fluids I drink during the day, I might get a more restful sleep, but I don't usually stress during the night.
I used to work a "split shift" when I was a long distance telephone operator years ago. 9 am to1pm and then 4pm to 9pm. I didn't like that AT ALL. I finally got a better shift 1:30PM to 9:30 PM. That way I didn't have to get up early and still got home before 10pm
• Midland, Michigan
@IreneVincent This is a better shift for me currently, for it's allowing me to get hospital bills paid off and also some debt. Once those are taken care of I'd have the option to go back to working part-time, but if I stay with these hours my pension will be a tad bigger. So it may be worth it overall. If our employer allows more to go full-time, then that person would get the brunt of the night-time shifts when vacations take place.
@sunrisefan (14325)
I sleep between four and a half hours to seven and a half.
7 and 1/2 is better for you. Don't ruin your health for trivial things. I understand if you just can't because of the life you lead. I have to make myself turn off the light at night and go to sleep, because if I'm reading a good book, I don't want to put it down.
@sunrisefan (14325)
@IreneVincent Almost always though, I sleep between 6 and a half hours and 7 and a half. It's only seldom that I get to sleep four and a half when I have meetings.
• Marion, Kansas
Usually six hours at least 7 and one half is best for me. I often lay back down after making sure my husband gets off to work.
That's good. A person should get at least 7 and 1/2 hours sleep. I sometimes take a nap in the afternoon if I stay up late.
@LeaPea2417 (7811)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I sleep between 7 and 8 hours a night. That is the right amount of sleep for me.
Yes, that is a good average amount that each person really needs. So, its good that you can get those hours of sleep time.
I don't think I do really but every now and then I have a 'catch-up' nap.
Yes, I have to have a nap ever so often myself.
@db20747 (273)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
It takes three hours to wind down and finally fall off to sleep. After that I only need two hours. But here's the catch. It takes me another 2 hours to really wake up. I won't feel rested if I don't lye there for at least an hour.
Sounds like an interesting routine you go through to sleep. As soon as I turn the light off, I can go to sleep USUALLY, within 10 minutes. TOPS. And I usually sleep all night without waking up unless there's a noise. I hear the least little noises. I can't sleep at all if the wind is blowing or if its storming.
@besweet (6214)
• Greece
I probably need to get more sleep every day. I usually have a standard of 7 hours or less, most of the times it's less.
Try to get more sleep if you can. Its better for your health.
@Morleyhunt (10448)
• Niagara Falls, Ontario
I try to get about seven hours every night. I've learned that I need total dark to sleep well. The alarm clock is now on my hubbies side of the bed.
I was just wondering why you put the name, Ishtar, in your comment about sleep?
@Morleyhunt (10448)
• Niagara Falls, Ontario
@IreneVincent autocorrect strikes again.
@Bunny28 (194)
• Lillington, North Carolina
You are damned if you do and you are damned if you don't. I go to sleep late sometimes and other days even after 8 hours of sleep I still feel tired.
It's true. I understand what you are saying. Sometimes you can get too much sleep and it makes you feel groggy all day long.
@Bunny28 (194)
• Lillington, North Carolina
@IreneVincent yes it sucks because if you don't have someone to snap you out of it you are likely to give into the sleep and stay in bed.
I definitively do not get enough restful sleep. I have restless legs syndrome a mild sleep apnea.
@MGjhaud (18463)
i value my 8hr sleeping habit a lot. its either 8hrs or more. im not functional if i dont get enough even if i drink lots of coffee.
@sol_cee (8965)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Would love to sleep longer but I always beat before my alarm clock.