Put your thinking cap on I have a question

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Last night I had a snack. My snack was some sliced apples. That in itself may sound like nothing unusual. But the odd part is that they were in cut up in slices my sister bought me the Thursday before Easter, and they were cut up, and I just opened the bag last night, and there was not one brown or rotten apple slice. I was under the belief that an apple can not be sliced and left without it without becoming brown. They were good to because they were a red and green mixture. I thoroughly enjoyed them but am confused. I thought the people of mylot land would be the ones to know! Can anybody give me an explanation? Picture by Pixabay free to use!
@Platespinner (18579)
I'm betting they were treated with either citric acid (occurring in lemon juice) or some similar chemical equivalent. I prefer to buy my apples whole...and organic to avoid unnecessary chemicals.
@platespinner I asked for whole apples when my sister went shopping, but she brought me the bag because she doesn't trust me to cut them up with a knife as I can easily have accidents. In fact, I had an accident the day she went shopping I slid on the floor and landed on the hardwood floor hitting my head in a sliding wooden door. Soi, i was in some pain as I fell hard! But that is normal for me
@Marty1 I can understand why your sister might want to not trust you with a knife! I hope you're okay now?
@Platespinner Yes I am better to thank you for asking I have so many that they don;t even phase me anymore!
@Lucky15 (33691)
Maybe lemon was squeezed on them?
@Lucky15 that is what I thought, at first, they would be but there was no lemon taste, but they may have disguised the lemon. Thanks for the suggestion!
@Lucky15 (33691)
@Marty1 apples can have that sour taste.
@Lucky15 Yes some of the green ones were sour, but I seem to remember the red ones being sweet! Thanks for all your help!
Joanne is right, the were possibly treated with acid citric. I do not like to buy sliced fruits, I prefer to buy the whole fruit and cut it when I want to eat.
@ladyducvk My sister was going grocery shopping herself for us, and i asked for whole apples, and my sister bought the cut up ones as she does not trust me to cut an apple with a knife as i do have quite a few accidents around the house. Tomorrow we have to have the cleaners wash the kitchen floor because i dropped a full bottle of cola, and my sister was here Wednesday, and we were sticking to tye floor! It was a full bottle, and it covered the entire floor! I am best no with a knife! I would probably eventually cut iff a finger!
@Marty1 If you feel unsafe, do not use a knife, it's much better. The cola sticks a lot on a floor.
I know at Mcdonalds and Walmart you can buy apple slices that are in a plastic baggie. They do not turn brown but I do not know why. I assume they are dipped in something to preserve them.
@shaggin Thanks for the recommendations. I had the bag from Walmart, but i don't know if there was a smaller bag as my sister bought it when i asked for apples when she went shopping. Do you have to buy other food when you buy them at McDonald's? I would love that but am not able to eat McDonald's because i am a vegetarian, and they stopped selling veggie wraps AT least at the one around my hose I don't know if all stopped selling them as they told us they no longer have the vegetables It isn't that many vegetables in it? I think they are rude to vegetarians who would not waste money on a hamburger because i refuse to eat it! Aren't those in children's meals i figured? If so i might be able to get y nephew to get a child meal I think he eats the Chicken McNuggets, and i know he won't eat the fruit He has sophisticated taste sand takes buffalo mozzarella to lunch at school, and he is only 10 years olf MY sister sad not too many 10 years old that eat that in their lunch! He also adores garlic and like grilled cheese made with garlic butter! Thanks for telling me the two places will,look into it! Thanks a lot!
@Marty1 I am a vegetarian too and so is my daughter. I completely understand about how hard it is to find things to eat at fast food places. When I have bought a happy meal my son will eat the chicken nuggets and my daughter will eat the fries and apple slices. I don't buy the happy meals very often. Sometimes I get free ones and my kids are really excited when that happens. I wish they had veggie wraps I have never heard of any of them I have ever been to having them.
@shaggin Shaggin That is great about your daughter. I wasn't qwaas not as smart as you at 7 and atre meat until two or so years ago.I am going to be 56 and will never eat meat again. I n fact, I am on the verge of vegfanism. I just have to learn more get recipes and see a dietician. I do it for the same reasoin as you. I can't dtand the thought of an anomsl being slaughterd asd i have seen videos and the workwrs end up abussing most of the animals htey do ot have it easy bfote their very brustal derath. JKudos to you., My whole family eats meat, too. THey don't forvce me t eat meat and I dont fiorce my vegetariansim on them wqe sort of have a silenbt unspoke agreement,
@JMAndres (735)
• Zamboanga City, Philippines
Maybe some apple fairies went to change your apples so that you won't get disappointed with it and will start to enjoy the apple. Please tell me my explanation is logical. hahahha :)
@JMAdres I love your theory as that werte very good apples. With both red and green apples and the skin was still on the end! Thanks for the great explanation! I enjoyed it!
@JMAndres (735)
• Zamboanga City, Philippines
@Marty1 I am really positive it is the work of apple fairies, so now in order to please them you need to constantly eat apples. :) It will be a win win situation for you, apples are good for the health and at the same time the apple fairies wont be mad. ahhahaha :)
@JMAndres Alright i don;t want to make the apple fairies mad lol! I will have some this afternoon serious i have almost an almost full bag of cut up ones, so i might as well make those apple fairies happy!
@scheng1 (24947)
Are these vacuum packed? If you want to cut apples and prevent them from turning brown, you can use citrus acid, but when the factories cut fruits, they will vacuum pack to prevent oxidation.
@cheng1 I never thought of vacuum packed. But a few days after i opened them they went bad. I had a bag of slimy apple piece last night! I didn't eat them of course! i think my sister put them in the trash. She was cleaning out the refrigerator the last but she asked me about things if wanted them!
@scheng1 (24947)
@Marty1 Then it is likely that they are vacuum packed. Once the fruits are cut, and they vacuum pack it immediately and then put in the fridge, the fruits can stay fresh. After you open it, you introduce oxygen and the oxidation happens.
@scheng1 I forgot about oxidation! I haven't been thinking straightly lately. Thanks for the help!
I am not sure what you are confused about the fact that none spoiled or that if left bagged and sliced, browning would happen ?
@enlightenedpsyche2 Oh, i am confused how they can be and not be brown by then which was about a week or two i think after Easter !!n. I just assumed an apple once cut regardless of whether they were in a bag or not would turn brown without being in lemon juice. I did n=kknow about that, but these had no lemon taste to them, and it didn't say it on the package about lemon juice on the bag, and i was curious because i had them since the Wednesday before Easter and just opened them up later than a week after and they were not brown. But they did get slimy three days a day or maybe it was two after i wrote this discussion so my sister was organizing our house because she was sleeping over and she asked me if i knew my apples were slimy, and she said we should throw the out of which i agreed as they were disgusting feeling and didn't taste that great, Yet spinach stays a long time. Every few days i eta spinach salads and keep a bag pretty long and no problems, The longest kept ones are organic . Organics were also the best tasting besides longest lasting bananas i ever had! I forgot to have my sister get some when she shopped for me Saturday!
@Marty1 my rule with food is simply this: if it rots within a few days being as natural as possible, no additives, it is safe to eat before spoilage
@enlightenedpsych2 I had them in the bag and they were fine days later from when i got them! Then two to three days after this discussion started i went to the bag, and they were all slimy feeling i tonight they stayed as long as i kept them in the refrigerator not opened and didn't get rotten i never expected them to get slimy so fast! I thought they would stay good they, and they were rotten and if i eat them all by the time they got slimy I'm would be one sick girl as apples really don;t agree with me just est them when i am not planning on stepping out the house just to be safe! My sister tossed them in the trash this past Saturday when she was here
Indeed when apples are sliced and left in the fridge , they already change color . So it's a wonder when those sliced apples turned out still nice looking .
@simplyd That was why i started this discussion as i forgot i a=had them until about two weeks after and they were still perfect,b ut three days after i started this discussion the night i opened the bag i went for some, and they were slimy, so i was afraid to eat them, and my sister tossed them in the trash last time she was here! She confirmed my thinking i should not nest slimy apples I wasn't sure! I just really didn't eat them because they felt disgusting to the touch!
@Marty1 Being slimy is an indication that the apple is already spoiling . Don't ever eat an apple in that state because it might make you sick .
• Marion, Kansas
There are also sulfites that keep fruits and vegetables from turning brown. I would not worry about citric acid as it is a naturally occuring acid from citrus fruits. If you think you could use it safely there is such a thing as an apple corer and slicer. It is round, has handles and you push it down on the apple. It makes wedges and takes out the core. Granny Smith apples are tart and green.
@Gardengerty I think we may have one around here, but these apples were cut. zI would be afraid ti would hurt myself as it can get clumsy I have many accidents, Sunday was falling g down the steps bouncing off them. I am in such pain now on my back because i bounced off my back! Maybe it is best i eat one pre-cut or else have somebody cut them for me as that is the reason my sister got them for me precut because she does not wat me to use a knife to cut them! Yikes had my firest accident when i got stitches at two years old! She wakes up i the middle of the night afraid i didn't turn off the stove when if i told her i cooked something that day before! I always check the stove before bed whether i cooked or not! I sometimes knock into it opening the refrigerator or getting ice for ice water, so I check! She felt better after i told her that She wanted to call but was afraid that is a night i ; slept through the night. I did often sleep through the night, Tonight i went to bed at a little after 9 pm and woke up at almost 11 pm! So I have some time for my lotIt is only 211:38 pm so in have plenty of time! And other things like the book i started writing Friday night!
I did read about genetically modified apples that were made to never brown. Perhaps that is the reason those apples of yours did not brown. Also, a bit of lemon sprinkled on ordinary apples keep them from browning for a while. Love you my friend! Molly and I sending huge hugs!!!
@CORBIN5 Yes I have read about genetically modified foods but did know that about the apples. I don't like them treating my food in odd ways! I love you and Molly Marty and I am sending you two hugs back!
@KuznVinny (780)
Possibly preservatives, although Ginger Gold apples do not turn brown. By the way, you used a Shutterstock image, which is copyright protected.
@PrarieStyle (2504)
Yup, they most likely have been treated with preservatives. If it's the same thing they put on some lettuce, some people are deathly allergic. I'd rather take the risk of cutting myself and buy them whole from now on.