Getting My Temporary Crown Today

Portland, Connecticut
I went to the dentist on Monday and was told that I will need a crown since the entire front of my tooth has broken off. Today I will go back to have the tooth shaped and a temporary crown placed on. I am retired and I have basic dental insurance that is part of my Medicare Advantage program. Unfortunately it does not cover the crown. It is rather expensive and I will need to use my credit card to pay for it. Luckily I will get at least 30 days to pay the credit card. I could pay for a more expensive dental policy but it is still a better deal to just pay for this work since the dentist is giving me a professional discount. Say a little prayer for me, this is not my favorite procedure. I hope you have more enjoyable things lined up to do today.
Good luck Belle. I hope it goes very smoothly for you, though dentists cannot be fun to me ... Nothing planned here. Let us know how it goes friend.
• Portland, Connecticut
Thank you for caring OT my face is sore but I am all done and won't have to go back for 3 weeks.
@BelleStarr A good rest then before you have to go again. Welcome Belle...I hope you have some ibuprofen or something.
• Portland, Connecticut
@TiarasOceanView So far I am not taking any pain medication. I will save it for serious pain right now it is just mildly uncomfortable.
@sallypup (26309)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I hope you will be okay. One of my husband's teeth fell apart and like you, he had to have first a temporary crown and then the real deal. Otherwise there is a gap in his mouth and you know how hard it is to chew with a big gap in your mouth! Even with insurance we are paying about four hundred just for this. He is waiting to hear from the dentist so that he gets the real crown put in.
• Portland, Connecticut
If I had insurance the charge would have been more than $1600 , I will get it for $1344 with the discount. It is a lot of money ut I really have no other choice, I don't want to pull the tooth.
@sallypup (26309)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@BelleStarr That is a huge chunk of change. It was my hubby's canine tooth. Suddenly a gap instead of that tooth. Even with insurance, we're having a time paying for the dentistry plus his unexpected hospital issue.
• Portland, Connecticut
@sallypup Yes it does mean that we will have to be make arrangements to get the money out of savings.
@UncleJoe (9461)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
By the time we pay the premium to have sound teeth, we can't afford the food to use them on.
funny but oh so true!!
• Portland, Connecticut
True this is going to cost me more than $1300 but there really isn't much of an alternative. Good thing my jaw will be sore so I won't miss the steak that I now can't afford lol
@Marcyaz (35756)
That is not a fun procedure but I hope you come through it just fine. I do have more enjoyable things to do today like just sit and relax at home. Good Luck with your crown.
• Portland, Connecticut
Thank you. It was not fun but I am glad that it is over.
@Marcyaz (35756)
@BelleStarr Your Welcome, I know you are glad it is over and I hope you don't have to go back there for a while.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
There are very few people who feel comfortable visiting a dentist. The crown will suit you and we will now to refer to you as Queen Belle I.
• Portland, Connecticut
lol Well I am not feeling very much like a queen today but by tomorrow I will start practiving the royal wave.
@Asylum (48283)
• Manchester, England
@BelleStarr I would have expected that to come natural to you.
@cherriefic (4331)
• Baguio, Philippines
You should be fine. I also don't like lining up for dental work.
• Portland, Connecticut
It wasn't all that bad and I am glad that it is over.
• Baguio, Philippines
@BelleStarr Good for you! At least you're done now.
I feel your pain both physical and financially. Been there, done that.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes it is pain and pain, not a pleasant thing but at least we have access to these services which I guess is a good thing!! lo
@nanette64 (17103)
• Fairfield, Texas
I have the same plan that you do @BelleStarr and it ticks me off. I need all 10 of my bottom teeth pulled (because they are black) and a plate but do you think that's covered? Oh hell no. I guess they'd rather see me die from a heart attack because of the massive infection running through my body. It's the same with your eyes. You almost have to be totally blind from cataracts before they'll pay for the surgery.
• Portland, Connecticut
It is crazy isn't it that we pay for coverage that we really don't have!! But on the positive side we are saving a lot of money on prescriptions compared to our old plan.
Good luck and I hope that the bill is not too high.
• Portland, Connecticut
The bill is pretty high, $1344 but the alternative is to have the tooth pulled which isn't really a good option.
Its not to bad, I need a root canal. I have no insurance but like you its cheaper to just pay for it since I try my best to keep my teeth in good shape.
• Portland, Connecticut
Thank goodness I didn't need a root canal, that is at least one thing to be grateful for lol
@AnneEJ (5025)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
Getting anything done at the dentist is never fun, and it has become very expensive. I have an appointment for a cleaning next week at a new Dentist. I had to change as it was getting too far to drive to the one I have had for the last few years.
• Portland, Connecticut
I had the same dentist for 25 years and then he sold his practice and retired. I have the woman he sold his practice to and she is very nice.
@AnneEJ (5025)
• Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, Quebec
@BelleStarr I hope everything goes well for you.
• Portland, Connecticut
@AnneEJ Thank you so much it is over and done and I survived!!
@PainsOnSlate (20081)
So how did your tooth break? Were you eating hard candy? I think you mentioned praline to me in another comment. OUCH..not just for the dental procedure but for the money loss too..I hope you are now pain free.
• Portland, Connecticut
No I was just eating a regular meal in a restaurant "The Ivy House" by the way if you are in Ocala next year we should have lunch there, and as we walked out I fel tsomething in my mouth and it was the side of my tooth.
@BelleStarr Lets make it a date. i am pretty sure we will be in Ocala next winter...We love visiting hubby's sister...
• Portland, Connecticut
@PainsOnSlate Oh good I can't wait!! It was so nice this year!!
I will say one for you, I hope that you maintain your composure, I know its hard at the dentist-I just hate going!
• Portland, Connecticut
Me too, I prayed a lot and tried to go to a calm place, I was very zen!! lol it worked pretty well to keep me calm.
@BelleStarr That is amazing, I was able to do that when I had my colonscope a couple of years ago. My biggest fear was not going under easily, as that happened the last time I had to go under for a quick procedure. I kept my blood pressure low and like you said it kept me calm also.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Juliaacv They were running late so I had to wait a half hour to get the procedure started, it gave me time to gather my thoughts. Since I came home and slept 3 hours it did take a lot out of me to be calm lol
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
Much good luck on your procedure today.
• Portland, Connecticut
Thank you, I survived mostly in tact!! lol My mouth was sore but it is better now.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@BelleStarr That is always a relief
@simone10 (21673)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I have a crown and agree that it's not a fun thing to have to go through.
• Portland, Connecticut
I hate the sound of the drill and while they are shaping my tooth I was just cringing. lol I am so glad it is over.
@simone10 (21673)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@BelleStarr I have a very small mouth so going to the dentist for just about anything can really get to me.
I wish you well. Any dental procedure is just about my least favorite thing to have.
• Portland, Connecticut
I had to put myself into a very zen place in order to not run out the door!! But at least it is mostly over for now!!
@BelleStarr I know the feeling! I'm not sure I have enough zen left to get myself to the dentist!
@salonga (27998)
I already said my prayer for you. I never liked procedures like this either.
• Portland, Connecticut
Thank you for the prayer, it went as well as these sort of things can go and I am home resting.
@salonga (27998)
@BelleStarr I'm glad it went well.
The only thing I have going today is AWANA later on. I hope it goes well with the dentist.
• Portland, Connecticut
Thank you, it did go well and I am glad I don't have to go back for 3 weeks.
@BelleStarr Good for you.
Was this a front tooth? Omg!
• Portland, Connecticut
No it is a molar, the front of the tooth broke. lol
@Scindhia (1958)
• Chennai, India
Is your crown placed? Congrats! Now you are the queen How does it feel?
• Portland, Connecticut
lol The temporary one is and I am feeling quite royal!!