Do Libraries Still have a Reserves Section?

Do academic libraries still operate a reserves section?
@Ruby3881 (1997)
I was talking to my oldest about textbooks for college classes and I happened to mention that professors sometimes leave materials on reserve in the library, to supplement the textbook. Then I thought about it: the last time I was in a university library was roughly 20 years ago. Is there still a reserve counter at the library? Maybe they do things like that electronically now? So much now happens through virtual classrooms, access to PDF documents and e-books, etc. I wonder if instructors even bother to place a hard copy in the library these days. Does anyone know if the reserve counter has endured, or gone the way of the dodo? I'll be curious to see if it's stayed in some places but disappeared in others... [Image: OpenClipartVectors/Pixabay/CC0]
@tammys85 (12833)
I know you can put books/DVDs on hold at a regular library, it may still be the case with the university library. I would call them or check the university website; it's probably electronic now (though I cannot see why you couldn't do it in person).
@Ruby3881 (1997)
Yup! Again, this is not the same as putting a book on hold....
@tammys85 (12833)
@Ruby3881 Sorry, I misunderstood......
@Ruby3881 (1997)
@tammys85 You're not the only one! Not to worry
@CRK109 (14377)
My local library still has a Reserve cart full of books that are waiting to be picked up.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
That's not the same thing. Those are books on hold, waiting to be picked up by the person who requested them. The reserves section of an academic library is a place where students go to retrieve an assigned reading. The professor deposits one or more copies of the reading with the reserves librarian, and tells students what to ask for. Students can then request the reading and check it out for a brief period, usually 2 hours. This allows them to copy it so they can read it at home, or to read it at the library. I suspect this practice has largely been replaced by electronic documents. Teachers can just assign the reading and provide a link, rather than making a hard copy available.
@CRK109 (14377)
@Ruby3881 ahhhh, sorry for the confusion. As a student, I guess I never used the reserves section.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
@CRK109 I'm not really sure if they still use them at most colleges (hence the question ) I think even if they exist, many students may be unaware of them because their profs simply don't use the service.
i dunno 'bout college campuses, but'cha can put 'em'n reserve't our local library.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
I think you might mean putting a book on hold so you'll get it once it's available. I've never heard of a reserve section in a public library. Probably because that sort of thing (an hour or two, to complete a reading that's in high demand) is not generally needed outside of academia.
@Ruby3881 nah, we've the only public library 'round fer miles. kinda odd with 2 universities nearby, but there's certain literature that's strictly reserved fer perusin' there 'n cannot be checked out fer love nor money.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
@crazyhorseladycx Sounds like just an average reference section to me . Reserves are quite different, in that they are generally checked out on demand, but with a very short duration (an hour or two, sometimes overnight.) Some may not be removed from the library, but others can as long as they're returned on time.
• Walnut Creek, California
Yikes! Good question. I haven't used that (put things on Reserve) at my current College Library.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
I suspect most instructors are using electronic documents, virtual classrooms, etc. a lot more than the reserve readings or the reading packets we used to pick up at the local copy centre. Education has changed a great deal because of the internet!
• Walnut Creek, California
@Ruby3881 I use the internet in my Research Methods class, but not for my Introduction to Psychology classes. I write my own handouts.
@puddleglum (1414)
The last I knew, they were still doing that. Some professors I had put a few of the class texts on reserve for those who were unable to get the book on time. They'd also reserve special reference materials. There are also online reserves. Some classes suggest accessing academic journals from the world wide academic online library catalogue or the university's online library.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
Yes, I figured maybe the libraries would use electronic texts to streamline the process. I remember how long we'd sometimes wait to get a text that was on 2-hour reserve, even if the prof had placed several copies on reserve!
@Ruby3881 That sounds like a real hassle. I never had any that I had to wait on like that, but I was still glad when the trend started moving towards the virtual.
@dodo19 (34317)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
While I was in university, some professors did put books on reserve for us, if and when we needed/wanted to use them. I graduated in 2011. Not every professor was doing it, but a few of them did.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
When I was in college (late 80s, early 90s) it was an absolute necessity to check out reserved readings. Those profs who used them, that was the only way to get a copy of some of the articles they assigned.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
I meant to ask, where did you study? I went to John Abbott and Marie-Victorin for CEGEP, and then studied a bit at both McGill and Concordia.
@Lucky15 (33669)
Wayback in our univerisity library, yes. Especially for textbooks and reference books
@Ruby3881 (1997)
Yes, it most often was textbooks or supplemental readings that were normally in the reference section.
I am not sure here but I am willing to bet yes.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
I'm curious to see if they still do it here. There is no college library on our local campus, so I have to wait till MamaOzzy goes to the main campus in the city before I'll know....
I think it has been 30 years since I have used the services of a university library but I do remember professors reserving books for student use back in the day. Hope a very young person can answer that question.
@Ruby3881 (1997)
It seems some still do it, but I suspect it's becoming rare.