Tell Me If You Know Why An Old Person Keeps On Chewing Despite Teeth No More

Even dogs are intrigued ,lol.
@cacay1 (32537)
Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
This day while dining at " Panagatan Restaurant " with my siblings, and while waiting for the additional meals, I stood up to look at the wide ocean. This restaurant is so famous in Opol,Misamis Oriental.It is erected at the middle of the sea.It is a very nice restaurant but the price is not so right,lol. It's my niece and her hubby who have just arrived from London who paid all.There are many diners this day. While I was feeling delighted while watching the calm and blue sea, my eyes shifted to the other side of the restaurant. I saw a foreigner, maybe American or Australian chewing and chewing. I wondered what he chewed. I think that foreigner was in his early 70's. With him his Filipina wife and some siblings of his wife's side. I forgot that issue of chewing for few seconds. Then I looked back at their table.I noticed that the foreigner continued chewing. I was so intrigued for it was almost 1 hour that he chewed. We were almost true eating and asking for the bill, when that guy continued chewing. My eyes focused on him, then I realized that he chewed nothing , but he is chewing. I also noticed he no longer has teeth. Was having teeth less , the reason of his continuous chewing? Can't this be stopped? I am so confused. I could still imagine him chewing. Can you tell me the reasons Mr. and Miss Nurses, Medics and other related health fields to answer my query. Photo Credit: Free Photos Search Engine
@sugartoes (39231)
• Greencastle, Indiana
don't ask me I don't have no teeth but I don't chew just to be chewing that would drive me nuts poor thing I know that can't be no fun in public.
@scheng1 (24813)
Many people go to the dentists to take out their teeth after a certain age when the gum starts to weaken. I do not see them chewing all the time too.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@scheng1 , I think there is problem of his muscles in mouth or teeth area.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@sugartoes, Hehehe, That is why I was so confused yesterday when that guy made a non-stop chewing though nothing chewed.
Perhaps it is a nervous reaction, even if there is no food, it is just a habit, and he is feeling to see where his teeth went.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TiarasOceanView, hahahaha, you make my evening my dear after having bee frustrated of the whole day blackout hehehe.I don't know if he has nervous reaction problem. I would surely ask my nurse nephew tomorrow and share you the answer.
@cacay1 I was trying so hard not to laugh lolz
• Riga, Latvia
@cacay1 I tend to agree it is either nervousness or a very bad habit
@scheng1 (24813)
That sounds very weird. I hope it is not due to some problem with his muscles, or his nerves. It must be terribly tiring for him to do that all the time.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@scheng1, You are very bright my dear. Thar was what intrigued me if he is tired or not from hi continuous chewing.
@scheng1 (24813)
@cacay1 That sounds like a terrible condition to have. I think all the chewing is involuntary. He probably has no control over the muscles.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@scheng1 It might be, He might be unconscious of his chewing,lol.
@Freelanzer (8289)
Could be he was chewing that much because he had no teeth. Anyway, I couldn't watch anyone chewing whether they were young or old or had teeth or not.. Why was this guy so fascinating to you?
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
It t is my first time to see a person chewing ,but nothing chewed hahaha,lol.
@Marcyaz (35756)
I want to tell you how much I like the photo of the dogs. As to why he is chewing and chewing is because he has no teeth with which to chew. Wonder where his dentures are at.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Marcyaz, Nice you are so adorable, keen observer, it's you who gives credit to the cute dogie, big teeth,lol.Many sworn here they no longer have teeth,but do now chew without something chewed.
@Marcyaz (35756)
@cacay1 Thanks, I think those doggies are just adorable even with those big teeth.
@Lucky15 (33429)
Hope the guy will eat something.soft next time :(
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Lucky15, What is something soft when he eats nothing hehehe.He is just chewing,lol.
@Lucky15 (33429)
@cacay1 hahaha
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Lucky15 Funny face of the dog..It looks a goat,lol.
@MsTickle (24991)
Some people seem to just like to chew. Besides, I would not notice such detail about someone because it seems rude (to stare) and judgemental.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@MsTickle, I was so intrigued and asked myself if he isn't tired or not. Just imagine for many hours chewing.His wife should have remedied that issue by seeing a doctor.There might be some abnormalities of his teeth.
@MsTickle (24991)
@cacay1 But you said you noticed he didn't have any teeth.
I don't have any upper teeth, but I don't chew unless there is something in my mouth to chew on.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@just4him, hehehehe,I think that guy has some abnormalities of his dentures.
@cacay1 Could be.
@cacay1 I can't say for sure but it is possible he has early stage dementia or some other mental condition which causes such behavior. There are also some medications that cause a person to have 'dry mouth' and one reaction is either 'chewing' or other mouth related behaviours.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Berniezeitler, Perfect answer, nice clarification and explanation.I was truly confused and wondered why he made a non-stop chewing thought nothing chewed.
@josie_ (6394)
To chew or not to chew that is the question. Whether tis nobler in mind to suffer your continuous stare or to take offense and voice out a complain to the restaurant manager.~ Not Shakespeare
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@josie_(5498), hehehe that man was so behaved. It might be his way to stop a problem or that becomes his habit,lol.
It sounds as if it was just a personal idiosyncrasy of the man. Just a habit perhaps.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@jaboUK, It might be a bad habit.It should be stopped.
@louievill (18114)
Isn't that dangerous? With all that involuntary chewing he might end up chewing the lower part of his face just kidding and trying to be funny, I'm simply bored and it's so hot.
@cacay1 (32537)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@louievill, hahahaha, I hope not, poor man .I hope he could stop that bad habit.
I have no idea, my friend.
It could be just grinding teeth that used to be there, perhaps psychological if no actual teeth are left in the mouth . . . otherwise I cannot imagine to be chewing for an hour