I Love French!

French things
Austin, Texas
English is my native tongue. In elementary school, we were taught Spanish. It wasn't optional. It was required. But when I got to high school, the foreign language courses offered were Spanish, French and Latin. No need to take Spanish. About a third of the student body was Cuban and they spoke Spanish all the time. You could learn it just by listening. The smart kids took Latin. You know. The ones that were going to doctors. I seized the opportunity and took 3 years of French. Loved every minute of it! Unfortunately, I've forgotten a lot because there was never regular opportunities to converse with anyone who spoke the language. Found a cool Tumblr blog that shares one French word a day. It's a nice reminder. Glad I took the class in high school. Love the sound of French words. So romantic. The French language even makes RAP sound good!
French is the… — 2nd most studied language — 5th most spoken language — 2nd working language in most organizations — 4th language of the Internet
@miniam (9361)
• Bern, Switzerland
If i was to learn a foreign language, I think I will learn Italian we speak Italian but I dont Can I send you a PM please?
• Austin, Texas
Italian is also a cool language. Yes. You can PM me any time.
@Ruby3881 (1785)
There is also the free app DuoLingo, that helps people learn another language. They have a lot of options and a really fun learning system. If you want to learn, check it out!
• Austin, Texas
@Ruby3881 - Yes. I've heard of that app.
French is my mother tongue. There are plenty of opportunities on the Net to practice different languages.
• Austin, Texas
Yes! I took French in the 70s. Many years have passed. In Miami, Florida, there were lots of Haitians. But they spoke Patois (Patwa or Patwah) or what we called “broken French”. Over the years I got out of practice. It is wonderful that you can find all kinds of way to practice the language via the Internet.
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I took French for five years at high school, but I was never confident enough to speak the language, and now I've forgotten most of what I learnt.
• Austin, Texas
On my first day of French class the teacher introduced herself and said those were the last English words we would hear from that point forward. We either had to figure out what she was saying or flunk the class. Oh yes! I remember her well.
@Gina145 (3877)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@cmoneyspinner That can't have been easy in the beginning, but it sounds like a good way to learn. Maybe I'd still remember some French if we'd been taught that way. I went to what was supposed to be a good school, but looking back I'm most unimpressed with the way many things were done.
• Austin, Texas
@Gina145 - Looking back. When it comes to good schools I do believe the high school I attended could have been used as “model” for educators. It was a private school for girls and the teachers were good at their job! To this day I appreciate all of them, what they taught and how they taught me. Not just the academics. They really did prepare me for life.
@Marcyaz (36699)
I took German in school but have remembered only a few words here and there since I have not used it. Glad you could take French and have found a site that gives you a word a day.
• Austin, Texas
Also found a site that supplies a Latin word per day. Good to know but it didn't get me very excited.
@Marcyaz (36699)
@cmoneyspinner Latin never did excite me and I remember no words in Latin any longer.
• Denmark
@Marcyaz I learnt Latin for seven years at a secondary grammar school in Germany. I don't remember much, but it's useful as a basis for other languages.
@Ruby3881 (1785)
I had no idea you were a Francophile, Treathyl! Anytime you feel like practising, just let me know friend
• Austin, Texas
Merci beaucoup. The other reason I was happy to take French in high school was because Canada is our next door neighbor. Thought it would be practical to know, in case I ever ran into any French-speaking Canadians.
@Ruby3881 (1785)
@cmoneyspinner it certainly would! There are a lot of Québécois who visit Florida, and a surprising number of Francophones living in Western Canada.I imagine there are probably a lot of those who head down to visit your way, once in a while!
• Austin, Texas
@Ruby3881 - When I lived in Florida, yes. But here in Texas, I haven't come across many from Canada. From what I understand, the two U.S. states Canadians really like are California and Florida. But don't quote me on that.