My Father's Work is Finished

Green Bay, Wisconsin
My father lived a good long life. He was a hard worker. From my earliest recollection Dad always worked, whether it was with a company called the P.C. Monday Tea Co. where he had a route and delivered soups and Jello's to customers, in the same way salesmen go door to door, to working in a bakery, to his final job he held for many years until his retirement at the Four Wheel Drive, painting trucks. Trucks that saw front line action in World War II. My dad was also heavy into politics. He was a Democrat and decried the fact I'm not. There would always be heated conversation regarding politics, whether it was with his father, in which grandma would halt the argument and restore peace to her home, or anyone who would lend him their ears to hear his thoughts on why the Democrats were the best party for our country. My dad was also a devout Christian. I am convinced of that. Lately it seemed all he did was talk about how important going to church and having faith was. When it comes to sports there are two teams that stand out. He loved the Cubs and was looking forward to going to a game later this month. Sadly he won't be going. He also loved the Packers. He could hold hours long discussion on both baseball and football. I think he also enjoyed NASCAR, but that one I didn't hear much about from him. Dad was a family man. He was always home and took care of his family to the best of his ability, which gave fruit to his work ethic. He married Mom August 30, 1952 and then the children started coming along. Me in 1953, my late brother in 1954, my sister in 1956, and my youngest brother in 1963. They were married 63 years this past August. Dad also had a few hobbies he enjoyed immensely. Gardening - I do not get my green thumb from him. We had a garden the whole time I was growing up. I never had a store bought vegetable until I left home and found out those things in cans are horrible. I still wish I could garden. My dad also loved to fish and camp. Every year from the moment I was born, he would haul the family to the north woods, set up camp, and spend the entire time in the middle of the lake fishing. It was a good thing Mom enjoyed camping and fishing. Again, I never ate a store bought fish until I left home. Huge difference between fresh caught and store bought. As much as my dad loved camping, I hate it. It rained every year and sleeping on the ground in a tent is not comfortable in the rain with nothing to do while your father is in the middle of the lake fishing, rain or shine, which in most cases was rain. Dad was born on June 16, 1931 and would have been 85 this year. My dad was a lot of things - opinionated and stubborn being two everyone is familiar with. However, Dad was honest. He loved life and gave it his all. Today, he entered eternity where I know he heard 'Well done, good and faithful servant.' He is reunited with his parents, sister, Mom, and my brother, next to me in age who passed on Father's Day, two years ago. Dad had some faults, but these are his strengths. And now his work on earth is finished. Thanks for reading. Image mine, taken at my brother's house this past Christmas - playing with their dog. He also loved dogs and we had one most of the time I was growing up and even until a couple years before they ended up in an assisted living home.
A great message of encouragement in the shadow of loss!
Thank you.
@thesids (22453)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Thank you for getting me here. I know valerie is not on my list of friends and as such I might never have had a chance to read though this post and feel a part of it.
@thesids I'm glad you had a chance to be part of it. Have a wonderful day.
I love how your able to write such a wonderful post about your dad. it makes me wish I knew mine as well. Bless your heart.
• Vancouver, Washington
That was such a great post she did a lot of love there.
@softbabe44 I have to agree with that.
Thank you Sharon. That was my dad.
@Elizaby (3469)
• Pensacola, Florida
A lot like my Dad very opinionated and stubborn and you didn't cross him on his opinions. Over all that is a great tribute.
Thank you. I think it was the time they came from. Everyone I know from his time period are hard-working and have good work ethics. They're also very stubborn and opinionated.
@ramapo17 (19533)
• Melbourne, Florida
My dad was the same way. So very stubborn and had an opinion on everything.
@ramapo17 Yes, that describes my dad.
@DWDavis (10885)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
You have written a moving tribute to your father. He sounds like a man it would have been an honor to know.
He was a good man.
Your Dad sounds like a good man and, glad to hear he is reunited with his loved ones and, God.
Yes he is. Thank you.
@sugartoes (35657)
• Greencastle, Indiana
glad you had the thought of how things were growing up & how much difference it was from home to being on your own from food to other things remembering things from home & being on your own has a lot of different things as we grow up huh? sorry to hear he has left this world but he left a lot of good memories with you to carry on in your life
Thank you. It's been a tough day.
@sugartoes (35657)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@just4him time seems so short when our loved ones go I'm so sorry,
@sugartoes Thank you. His was a good life.
@DaddyEvil (22411)
• Aurora, Missouri
Very nice eulogy, Valerie! My condolences to you and your family.
Thank you DE. They are much appreciated.
@DaddyEvil (22411)
• Aurora, Missouri
What a loving tribute to your dear father. You have my most heartfelt sympathies.
Thank you. I appreciate it.
@CoralLevang (16204)
What a beautiful tribute you have written to your father. My heart goes out to you and your family as you celebrate his life.
Thank you. His was a good life.
@CoralLevang (16204)
@just4him He sounds if as if he were a wonderful Dad.
@CoralLevang He was a good Dad.
@cacay1 (32295)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
My heartfelt CONDOLENCE Valerie.It's not easy to be in deep sorrow.May your dad rest in peace.
He's with Jesus. He's at peace.
@cacay1 (32295)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@just4him , I am so sure of that for being prayerful and strong believer of the Lord.
@softbabe44 (5943)
• Vancouver, Washington
Your dad was a good provider as well as a great father
Yes he was.
• Vancouver, Washington
@just4him His family is what meant the most for him
@Lucky15 (33757)
i was just teary ma'am. i can feel what you re feeling
Thank you. It's been a rough day.
That was a great read. Showed how much involved you were with your dear father. I offer you and your family my condolences. May his soul rest in peace.
Thank you very much. He's at peace now.
@dodoazo (12525)
My condolence to you for the passing away of beloved dad. He had completed his exemplary work with his family and everything he's involved with. You've been brought up by a wonderful father.
Thank you for your sentiments.
Your dad sounds like a great person and he led a good life. Sorry for your loss.
Thank you. He did have a good life.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sorry to hear of your loss. But it sounds like he lived an excellent life.
It was a good life.
@rhymeblue (132)
Wonderful tribute, I can feel the love of the daughter to the father here. God bless his soul.
I am certain he's in heaven.
@ramapo17 (19533)
• Melbourne, Florida
He lived a good long life with a loving family. Have peace knowing he is in a better place.
Thank you. I think after this week is over it will start to sink in that he's gone.
@ramapo17 (19533)
• Melbourne, Florida
@just4him Yes, it will sink in but you will feel his presence around you for a long time like I did for my dad. I still feel him here sometimes even though he has been gone almost 3 years now. There is not a day that goes by that I don't feel him near me and I usually talk to him.
@ramapo17 I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were very close to your dad.
@Marcyaz (36007)
You had a wondrful father who was a family man and honest person. May he be in Gods loving arms now .RIP
I am certain he is in God's loving arms.
@Marcyaz (36007)
@just4him I am sure he is. May God be with you and your family at this time.
@Marcyaz Thank you.
@mommaj (22747)
I am so sorry for your loss. Your dad,may he rest in peace, sounds like he was a wonderful man and you have lovely memories. My condolences to you and your family.
Thank you @mommaj. He's at peace. He's with my mom and brother as well as his parents and sister.
@mommaj (22747)
@just4him I know how hard that is, but he is with God.
@mommaj Yes he is. Thank you.