Forgiveness as a way of life

Different thoughts tend to crop up at different times...today as I said the Eucharistic prayers, the concept of forgiveness of others seemed especially fresh in my mind. This is largely going to focus on that. I noted a long time ago that if I kept a score card on all the people who wronged me then my friends list may be short. I also noted a long time ago, that I'm far from perfect as well. When Christ taught us to pray "forgive us our debts as we forgive those indepted to us", He linked the 2 concepts together. Indeed the linked theme comes up often in the New Testament, forgive one another as God in Christ forgave you. Yet it is somewhat easy to forget at times, or it can be. A central New Testament idea, and it is indeed related to the New Testament's conception of what holiness is...sometimes it just strikes me that although this is a commandment as much as any other, concepts such as this often given a kind of secondary place...yet God's love is a central theme and is indeed at the heart of the Goodnews. It would surprise many to find that in the Patristic era of Christianity, early Christianity, this was actually a marker of what "orthodoxy" was, at least as far as arguments sake. Today as I was celebrating the Eucharist, for some reason it was a thought that was sticking out to me as I prayed the Confessional prayer...God I am asking you to forgive me...and God, I am remembering that you call me to forgive others who have wronged me as well...help me walk in this as a way of life, the way of life which your son has commanded us.
Forgiving is easier said than done. Most especially for cases when people who have wronged you, do not ask forgiveness from you. Neither do they admit their faults. So what's one suppose to do in cases such as this?
In specific cases I generally first listen to the person, because in cases of serious injury I don't think things will be black and white-like, I think it would be wrong if someone was a victum of a violent crime or deep betrayel to put blame on them for doing something which is not immediatly possible...it would be like having someone injured, and then villify them on top of that. I think in instances like that one must in a sense listen, and walk through with them on a kind of journey. I think if one tried to do otherwise, like to say to a victum "you need to forgive or you're no longer forgiven", I think that turns the entire concept on it's head, and then God's forgiveness is actually no longer forgiveness but has now become a condemnation, which would further wound the person. If that makes sense? In cases like that I would usually encourage the person to talk it out, think it out, pray it out-the reality is, the only way one could forgive certain things if if they themselves experienced a kind of inner healing, and in that sense that is what we are speaking of, their healing.
@HebrewGreekStudies thank you for the insightful response man! I appreciate it truly that words aren't enough. I guess, that's what I need - inner healing. Hasn't happened yet. They say that time heals all wounds, I just hope time hurries the **** up because I'm still hurting deeply.
@allen0187 you're welcome-I wrote another post about it a little more indepth, until your question I was actually more or less writing from an introspective position of people that I needed to forgive, and wasn't thinking so much about the wounds other's face or complexities-but needless to say if I wrote an introspective post about my need to forgive others, it's something that I've struggle with myself and some of these things have been years...so that struggle is understood.
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@HebrewGreekStudies , I can't hold onto old hurts. No one is perfect. So I forgive those I can, and I avoid those who would keep trying to hurt. And, I leave the past in the past and hope my present is filled with those who wouldn't need my forgiveness...if that makes sense...
@PrarieStyle (2495)
Forgiveness is like setting someone free and the person you set free is you.
@TheSojourner (17488)
I have come to ideas about forgiveness a long time ago. We can forgive and have that spirit and heart of forgiveness, that so many have taught. The more difficult thing is not jumping back on what we remember as being wronged. When we can let go of the angst and those feelings in our heart that are making it difficult to be around someone, then Things become a lot easier. The hardest part is when people continue to attack you and continue with the same behavior, intent on making your life miserable. That's when things become difficult for me. And that's not ever easy. That's when the Forgiveness part seems to want to fly out the window. Staying in the moment and recognizing that people are damaged and that's why they behave the way they do, is something that I have to remind myself of, even in my own frailties.
@Lucky15 (33429)
Amen
@MGjhaud (20749)
its hard to pray for those who have wronged me, i admit but i always remember that God has always been patient and forgave me with my sins. i submit to make me feel ok.
I feel that God has given me a great capacity for forgiveness. I try very hard to use it.
@Teep11 (6939)
God is a forgiving God and yes, we should forgive one another, although it may be difficult. We should so that we're forgiven. People will hurt us. Sometimes unintentionally and other times intentional. We should seek forgiveness. This is certainly a reminder.
@mammots (3282)
Its difficult to forgive someone who has inflicted a very deep--- almost fatal--- wound but it can be done in time.