Final Arrangements

Green Bay, Wisconsin
I've never been part of this process. When Mom died, I was in the nursing home with a broken leg so it fell completely on my sister's shoulders. Now, we're meeting together this morning at the funeral home to make the final arrangements for my father. I want to be part of this process, though I know it will be a hard step, but a vital one as we lay our father to rest. I will be leaving here shortly. I have the directions printed out so I shouldn't get lost since I need to go to another city, one I'm not at all familiar with, to meet with my sister and brother. When we're young and carefree we never think about the final arrangements we need to make in life. We never think about death or dying. We have this unrealistic view that our parents and grandparents will live and not die. And then reality sets in and we are faced with the task of final arrangements. It will be done one day for me and for you. Are you prepared for those final arrangements? Thanks for reading.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
you are lucky to have had him for so long. My parents passed away 2 years apart. It was a very hard time in my life.
I imagine it was. I'm still taking it all in. It really hasn't sunk in yet.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@just4him Hang in there Valerie.
@fishtiger58 Thank you. It's going to be one heck of a week this week. There is so much to do, so I don't know if I'm even going to miss him until after the entombment on Friday.
Sorry for your family's loss. My dad passed in '85. I am very fortunate that my mother has already planned and paid for her final arrangements.
That's good. I hope you still have many years with your mother.
@Drosophila (16699)
I am soo sorry for your loss! at the same time the practicalities of after arrangements makes it altogether that much tougher. I will keep you in my prayers.
@Drosophila (16699)
@just4him We'll be here whenever you do pop on
@Drosophila That's always good to know. And my notifications prove someone is always here.
@Drosophila (16699)
@just4him Indeed :D
@ridingbet (59428)
may your father rest in peace. yes it is hard to make final arrangements most especially if you live with your parents. it was hard for us when my mother left, and i accompanied her to the hospital, and decided to stop the pumping of the AMBU bag when i thought her eyes were fixed and pupils were dilated. it is hard too sleeping in my mother's bed and I can still smell her perfume, but life must go on. I am happy they are now together in heaven and watching over us
That must have been very hard, especially sleeping in your mom's bed.
@ridingbet (59428)
@just4him indeed. I even use some of her clothes and her blankets.
@ridingbet I could never do that. Too freaky.
@Lucky15 (33698)
sometimes, no ma'am :(
I need to think about mine as well.
God gives Grace, even at these times-continuing to remember you in prayer and kind thoughts...
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
I hope that it all goes smoothly.
It did, though it took a lot longer than I anticipated.
@Dena91 (4645)
We went last fall with Mike's mom to make their arrangements. She didn't want it to fall on our shoulders. I went when a family friend passed and helped with his. I wanted to be there for my Dad's but until we arrived my step mom took care of everything. We asked her to wait until we got there, we lived about 8 hours away my brother about 10 hours away. My brother and I had no say so about anything. That still hurts to this day, it will be 10 years this Oct. since he passed. Prayers for you and your family in the days ahead. Have a blessed afternoon
Thank you. It's going to be a stressful week. I'll be glad when it's over. I appreciate the prayers. I hope your day has been blessed as well.
I guess this is something we all aught to have already set up so our families wont have to do as much, although this is more for the living than the dearly departed
Yes it is. A way of saying our final goodbyes.
@Elizaby (3981)
• Pensacola, Florida
I don't hardly anyone is prepared for this especially when doing for for a family member. My sister took car of Mom and Dad[s when they passed. I also know of some who have their furneral already planned and paid for when the time comes
I have not made my arrangements yet but we did my mothers years ago.
I haven't either, but I know what I want.
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
It is never an easy task @just4him . Mine have been done for quite a while now.
I never realized all that went into it. When my son asked me how long I would be gone because he had to work today, I figured no more than an hour tops. I think it took us three hours to get through everything involved.
My dad, husband and brother took care of arrangements for my mother. My husband and brother took care of arrangements for my father. I was a basket case for both. I'm glad you don't have to do this alone.
I wouldn't know where to begin. My sister and brother were in on the arrangements for my older brother and my mother. This is my first. My sister is in charge of all the finances for my father as POA.
I think that we are.We got most things organized.
That's good. It will make it easier when the time comes.
Sorry you have to go through this. I have been through this process many times already and yes, I am ready with my arrangements.
It wasn't too bad. At least I know what it all entails now.