What Keeps You Awake at Night?

@zebra2222 (5144)
Too many of us stay up way too late at night. We have things to do or just can't find a way to get a good night's sleep. What keeps you awake at night? Are you uncomfortable after eating too much food? Are you mesmerized by the computer screen? Are you into watching TV until your eyeballs feeling like they are going to fall out? Perhaps you have an important test to take the next day. You must study and cram, study and cram. It becomes quite hypnotic. Now it's your turn.
I go to bed 1 am every night. I go in my bed and get comfy and soon lights out for me.
@zebra2222 (5144)
I go to bed about the same time, but I have to get up too early.
@zebra2222 I get up about 9 something an that is ok. I m not working.
• Minneapolis, Minnesota
In general I have a hard time sleeping, so I have to take sleeping pills every night. But I seem to be consumed with watching Orange is The New Black for the 4th time, so I stay up late watching it until my pills kick in
@zebra2222 (5144)
I don't sleep well, but I simply will not take sleeping pills. I just make do and eventually fall asleep.
• Minneapolis, Minnesota
@zebra2222 I don't like taking pills in general but if I don't I will be up all night andn I cant do that either sadly
@KristenH (23725)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Sometimes my cats caterwauling at night or my neighbor moving furniture/talking outside next door. That's about it.
@zebra2222 (5144)
Those are good reasons. Also, dogs barking in the middle of the night. Fireworks being shot off in the summer.
@KristenH (23725)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@zebra2222 Thanks Steve. I do sometimes hear dogs. Fireworks, only in summer.
@carebear29 (28553)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
I am a insomniac so that my reason
@zebra2222 (5144)
I know the feeling. I've stayed up late for times than I can count.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I watch TV for a while and then get "mesmerized by the computer screen" as you put it. I should be asleep right now, and really need to log off. I wish I had more willpower.
@zebra2222 (5144)
It's easy to fall into the computer screen trap. It's hard to break the habit.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@zebra2222 I know, but I need to break the habit because it's interfering with other things that are more important.
@quantum2020 (8883)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
One thing that does not keep me awake, but occupies my sight, when I awake at night is watching the constelations and stars in my latitude. I had a hard time understanding where the west and the east was in my region. It has not been until recently that I located those two points in the horizon. Now, I´m trying to catch up with the movement and time of the constellations in the starry night in my region, so I won´t have a hard time pointing my telescope when clear and monnless skies allow!
These days the only reason i stay awake is when i'm teaching until midnight. When I don't have to teach, i go to bed at 9pm and sleep an hour after that.
I wish I really knew. I go to bed just before 11 am and struggle to fall asleep. Having TV volume very low actually helps. I think I can't turn off stress and worry.
If a novel I am reading is fabulous, I will continue to read until my eyes close and I can no longer see the words on the page. There are not that many can't-put-it-down books out there, but when I have one, down it will not go unless it falls from my hands due to sleep.
I keep going over and over all the stupid and embarrassing things I've done in my life.