Eating more fish

@CoralLevang (40838)
Last summer my friend went out fishing for a month up in Alaska and Canada with some friends. He has shared a lot of it with me, including salmon, Ling Cod, halibut, and more. I have never eaten Ling Cod. I do not generally care much for the regular Cod used in fish and chips. I wasn't sure what to expect from this particular fish. Now having eaten both the Ling Cod and the Halibut, I have to say I prefer Ling Cod. I still have a fillet of salmon, and some deep water prawns, six of which make a nice meal. I just have to remember to peel them before cooking them, because the deep water shrimp from up north have a much harder shell, like armor, than those from southern warmer waters. I hope my friend brings me more Ling Cod soon. I usually trade him meals of pot roast or corned beef and cabbage, or soups that I've already cooked up and frozen. I really think that I'm getting the best end of the bargain, considering how expensive fresh fish can be.
You really are reaping the benefits of those fish! I do not eat meat or fish, but my husband does. No matter the weather, I make him cook all fish outside.
@CoralLevang (40838)
the nice thing about these fishes (not the salmon) is that they do not have much of a fishy smell or I would not cook them at home
i love most fish, but I absolutely hate topping and tailing shrimps or prawns. I hate seeing their eyes looking at me.
• Minneapolis, Minnesota
I have never eaten Ling Cod before what does it taste like? I love fish and sea food and I am always looking to try something different. I bet catching those fish in Alaska taste delious
@CoralLevang (40838)
It really reminds me a lot of halibut. But there was something different about it that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's the difference between the Halibut being a bottom fish, and Ling Cod not. But it is one ugly fish! But great eating!
• Minneapolis, Minnesota
@CoralLevang How do you cook it?
@CoralLevang (40838)
@Castlerock34 my first response was the one that my mother would have said: until it gets done. Lol I cut it into big fillet chunks if you will and I charged it with a little seasoned flour. I heated coconut oil up in my black Iron Skillet until it started to get hot and then turned it down to medium-high and I pan fried them. Until they were Brown all the way around and that seemed to be good. I don't remember how long it was. But not too much time.
@rina110383 (23112)
I love eating fish (salmon, tuna, tilapia, milk fish, etc.), shrimps, crabs, and oysters.
@CoralLevang (40838)
I eat a lot of tilapia, bangus and galongong (sp?), I do not care much for oysters though.
@rina110383 (23112)
@CoralLevang I also eat galunggong. I'm not sure about the spelling but that's how we spell it here in the Phil.
@CoralLevang (40838)
@rina110383 I spent many years in the Navy, and many of my friends were Filipino. I am one of those American women who will even eat bagoong! LOL
@bounce58 (17550)
Being up here, and in a coastal city, we do get a lot of fishes. I don't fish myself, but there's a lot available in stores, and I do get some from friends from time to time. Unfortunately, there's only one kind of fish my kids like to eat, and that is salmon. We'd just dab it with lemon and sprinkle some salt and pepper, then broil it in the oven. When it's done, we'd spread a little butter on top and burn it a bit - my kids love that part. I'm not sure if I have tasted ling cod. I'd be sure to ask my friends about it.
@CoralLevang (40838)
Now I will have to take my last salmon filet to defrost for dinner tomorrow. I am having dinner with a friend tonight.
• Denmark
You're lucky. I've never eaten really fresh sea fish.
@CoralLevang (40838)
Living here on the west coast of the United States, I became accustomed to it. I also love fresh Dungeness crab, and used to go crabbing with my uncles when I was a little kid. Then when I lived in the south in Louisiana and Mississippi, we have the Gulf Coast so the fish and seafood was abundant there, as well. I have eaten a lot of fish and seafood over my life, and I really appreciate the ones from the sea, though I have eaten lake and river trout... not my favorites, though.
@Ruby3881 (2088)
Sounds so yummy! I have to limit my fish intake due to allergies, so I'm not able to indulge as I would like to. I have to be especially careful with fresh fish
@CoralLevang (40838)
I think I would die if I became allergic to fish
@Ruby3881 (2088)
@CoralLevang I love fish, especially salmon. And I love to eat fish & chips! It is really tough to stay away completely - although I'm told I should....
@CoralLevang (40838)
@Ruby3881 What happens if you eat them?
I've never even heard of Ling Cod.
@CoralLevang (40838)
What is fascinating is that it is not even of the cod family.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Lingcod Ophiodon elongatus Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Subphylum: Vertebrata Infraphylum: Gnathostomata Superclass: Osteichthyes Class: Actinopterygii Subcla
@CoralLevang - Interesting.
@CoralLevang (40838)
@teamfreak16 And an ugly fish. Not as ugly as the monkfish, though. LOL
@LeaPea2417 (15359)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I like to eat fish. My favorite is Salmon.
@CoralLevang (40838)
I love salmon! I even like raw salmon and Sushi, especially the very high fat, bright red one, which I can't remember the Japanese name for
@LeaPea2417 (15359)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@CoralLevang I prefer it cooked. I have tried sushi and it is ok, but not my favorite.
@peavey (15874)
You're making me hungry! I love fresh fish and would eat almost any kind over anything else. I would say that you're getting the best of the deal, too!
@CoralLevang (40838)
Me, too. I am not much for scallops or oysters, but will eat them occasionally. Other than that, I'll eat just about any of it.
You are getting the better bargain. I love thick cod, but only fresh.
@fishtiger58 (30716)
• Momence, Illinois
I have never heard of Ling Cod, interesting.
That is a nice arrangement that you got with your friend.
I love fish! Especially salmon. When I worked for the non-profit place back in the early 90's I had a friend there that would bring me an occasional trout. Her and her husband loved to fish but didn't like fish. I wish I could find a deal like that again. Salmon is so expensive.
@CoralLevang (40838)
When we find situations like that it's always so wonderful for us. It's why I like to cook in Mass, so that I can share what I make with other people.
@CoralLevang ...That is one joy to cooking.